PDA

View Full Version : It All Started with a Jinhao - My Collection, 3 years later

ChrisC
October 30th, 2015, 10:08 AM
It all started with me simply wanting a pen that wouldn't skip. Pilot G2 pens never worked for me, and ballpoints required too much pressure and had a slickness that I disliked. So I got a Jinhao. I know many people buy these without issue, but they never worked for me. Perhaps it pays to buy one from a good US dealer like Goulet, as opposed to getting it direct from China. In any case, that's how I got into the hobby. I remember what it was like, thinking that spending $100 on a pen was unthinkable. That ship has long since sailed. And here we are... I've included the 'keepers' in my collection. I have many others, but those are almost definitely for sale and I have little intention of keeping them. These, on the other hand, are much more likely.

As you will see, I like to have unusual pens that are rare or collectible for some reason. I don't care for, say, a run-of-the-mill modern M800 that you can currently buy brand-new. My M800 is 1987 first year model with a 14k, rather than 18k nib.

First, we have the Italians, a Sheaffer, and a TWSBI:

1. Radius Superior in Platinum celluloid (same as used on the famed Montblanc Pl and Omas Pl pens) - flexible 14k nib
2. Visconti Opera Blue Oceans LE - 23k Pd BB stubbish nib
3. Stipula "Tibaldi" Impero - 14k F nib
4. Sheaffer Balance Oversize, Vac-fill - 14k M nib
5. TWSBI 580 - steel B nib

Next, we have the 3 Montblanc's

1. Montblanc 146, rare transitional model between the celluloid models of the 50s and the modern resin pens. 14k flexible KBB nib.
2. Montblanc 144, rare transitional model between the celluloid 144 and the resin 14 of the 60s and 70s. 14k flexible B nib
3. Montblanc Solitaire Doue Signum BP, purchased from a kind neighbor for a nominal sum. Excellent men's jewelry (:

Pelikans and Soennecken:

1. M800, 1987 first year model. 14k F nib
2. R800, Rollerball. not super special, but it works
3. M605 Marine Blue SE, with a broad and flexible CN wartime nib and 50's ebonite feed
4. 140, with rare reverse trim (chrome instead of gold). flexible BB CN nib
5. Soennecken 120, largest model of its line. Pen's size is like the 50's 146, but shorter. The nib, however, large, somewhere between a #6 and #9 nib. Mine is a rare 'Pargo' nib, made of Palladium, rather than the usual steel nibs of this model.

Favorite Pen Case:

This Venlo Portofino pen case is wonderful. The leather is soft, yet sturdy. The case is rigid and provides excellent protection. The pens, while inside, are within high-quality dividers that completely enclose the pens, preventing damage. I put this whole case into my backpack with no reservations.