PDA

View Full Version : Complete n00b questions

Nom de plume
November 1st, 2015, 09:07 AM
I have six fountain pens which belonged to my dad, four Mont Blanc and two Pellikan pens - all 70's and 80's vintage, I think.
They have not been used in 4-5 years and were empty of ink. I've put cool water through all of them and noticed two of the pens expel a few small air bubbles at the end of the down cycle when I cycle the piston. Does this imply I have a leak somewhere? Is there a better way to check for leaks?
With the pens that aren't expelling air, is there a way to dry the pens prior to filling with ink now that they have had water in them?
Any suggestions on filling for the first time?
Any suggestions on cleaning the pens internals prior to filling or did the water accomplish that?
One of the nibs appears discolored, should this be cleaned? If so, how?

http://a65.tinypic.com/6ydrfm.jpg (87 KB)

Laura N
November 1st, 2015, 10:04 AM
Nice pens!

If you flush them with water (as you were doing) until the water runs clear, that should be cleaning enough. Then you can gently wrap the nib and section with paper towels, and set them nib down in a cup or glass until they dry. That takes anywhere from a few hours to overnight, usually. If you get most of the water dried out, that's enough -- it doesn't have to be bone dry.

Try them with a safe, easy-to-clean ink. Pelikan Royal Blue or Montblanc Royal Blue would be excellent choices. Or Waterman, Parker, etc. inks. If there is a leak, which I doubt, you'll find it easier to deal with the mess if you are using a washable ink. In addition, ink made by the pen's manufacturer usually is a very good match for the pen itself.

These pens all look like they are in excellent shape. Your father took good care of them, and you are in for a treat, I'd say.

I would start with the pen in the middle, but I'm also the kind of person who would eat dessert first if given the choice. :)

Nom de plume
November 1st, 2015, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the reply. And yes, I was going to start with the 149 but I also like the feel of the 221 in my hand.

jar
November 1st, 2015, 11:20 AM
Before going with ink I always suggest filling with water and then let the pen sit overnight on a paper towel to check for leaks.

Jon Szanto
November 1st, 2015, 11:22 AM
What Laura said. And those are very nice pens that have been well-cared for. They will be with you for years, and that's a nice thing.

sloegin
November 1st, 2015, 01:34 PM
That looks more like a 146 than a 149.

Nom de plume
November 1st, 2015, 01:49 PM
I'm new to pens and may have identified it incorrectly but I found a website which provided the length of each pen and when I measured it matched up with the 149. Is there any other way to tell?

sloegin
November 1st, 2015, 02:08 PM
Diameter is more consistent than length. A 146 is 13.2mm and a 149 is 14.8mm. Besides that, the center cap band on 149 is marked as such. It could be marked 146 on the center bands, but not all of them. This applies to resin pens, which yours is; celluloid pens are marked differently.

Nom de plume
November 1st, 2015, 03:21 PM
Sloegin, thanks for the tip. You are correct, the pen is 13.2 mm at the widest part of the barrel and is a 146.

http://a66.tinypic.com/2lnvhaw.jpg (114 KB)

sloegin
November 1st, 2015, 03:30 PM
Nice calipers! The length difference between the two is under a centimeter. Also note the nib and ink window differences between your 146 and a 149.

Nom de plume
November 1st, 2015, 03:41 PM
Thank you all for the advise. I have all six fountain pens completely rinsed with water and drying inverted in highball glasses, drying on paper towels. I just ordered some Mont Blanc ink (60 mL each of royal blue and black) which should arrive Wednesday.
If you see someone with ink stains on all of their fingers later this week, that will be me so say "hello".

jar
November 1st, 2015, 05:50 PM
Thank you all for the advise. I have all six fountain pens completely rinsed with water and drying inverted in highball glasses, drying on paper towels. I just ordered some Mont Blanc ink (60 mL each of royal blue and black) which should arrive Wednesday.
If you see someone with ink stains on all of their fingers later this week, that will be me so say "hello".

Try letting them sit nib up. You are looking for leaks past the piston seal.

Nom de plume
November 2nd, 2015, 07:53 AM
Nice pens!

If you flush them with water (as you were doing) until the water runs clear, that should be cleaning enough. Then you can gently wrap the nib and section with paper towels, and set them nib down in a cup or glass until they dry. That takes anywhere from a few hours to overnight, usually. If you get most of the water dried out, that's enough -- it doesn't have to be bone dry.

Try them with a safe, easy-to-clean ink. Pelikan Royal Blue or Montblanc Royal Blue would be excellent choices. Or Waterman, Parker, etc. inks. If there is a leak, which I doubt, you'll find it easier to deal with the mess if you are using a washable ink. In addition, ink made by the pen's manufacturer usually is a very good match for the pen itself.

These pens all look like they are in excellent shape. Your father took good care of them, and you are in for a treat, I'd say.

I would start with the pen in the middle, but I'm also the kind of person who would eat dessert first if given the choice. :)

I just clicked on the link at the end of your post and explored your blog. Wow! The photography is stunning and I can tell already that I am being sucked into yet another hobby, passion, compulsion with my dad's pens. Add writing instruments to my list of addictions, including vinyl records, watches, boats, ham radios, motorcycles... well, you get the picture.

I also see you are from Chicagoland. I lived two blocks from Wrigley Field for ten years and was a season ticket holder during the 80's and 90's. I loved living in Chicago, sailing on Lake Michigan, and volunteering at the Shedd Aquarium. And nothing beats Chicago architecture - it's the most beautiful modern city in the world.

Laura N
November 2nd, 2015, 11:42 AM
I also see you are from Chicagoland. I lived two blocks from Wrigley Field for ten years and was a season ticket holder during the 80's and 90's. I loved living in Chicago, sailing on Lake Michigan, and volunteering at the Shedd Aquarium. And nothing beats Chicago architecture - it's the most beautiful modern city in the world.

Thank you! And yes, it is the most beautiful city. You are a person of good taste! :) And my husband and I lived on Lill in the early 1990s, so a few blocks south of you, I'm guessing.

I grew up a Cubs fan. (Dog named Wrigley, the whole thing.) The 1980s were sort of a golden era for us. However, I gave up serious fandom after the Bartman thing. I just could no longer take it. I switched my fandom to the Blackhawks and I've never, ever regretted it.

I'm a vinyl record person, too. I bet there are a few of us here. How about film cameras?

Nom de plume
November 2nd, 2015, 12:44 PM
No to cameras but there are lots of lenses in my life - binoculars from Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, and Steiner.

Jon Szanto
November 2nd, 2015, 01:01 PM
I'm a vinyl record person, too. I bet there are a few of us here.

I hope this counts: a week or so ago I put the wraps on a project, producing a new vinyl recording of archival performances. Gathered all the audio, supplied all the photographs for the liner booklet, and wrote a 2200 word piece for the liner notes themselves. All we await is the test pressing to ok, and then the vinyl will go in the pressing queue, to be delivered sometime in the spring. I'm very excited.

Nom de plume
November 2nd, 2015, 02:09 PM
I'm a vinyl record person, too. I bet there are a few of us here.

I hope this counts: a week or so ago I put the wraps on a project, producing a new vinyl recording of archival performances. Gathered all the audio, supplied all the photographs for the liner booklet, and wrote a 2200 word piece for the liner notes themselves. All we await is the test pressing to ok, and then the vinyl will go in the pressing queue, to be delivered sometime in the spring. I'm very excited.

I think that makes you a musician, producer, and composer. I guess we can let you in our vinyl record club.
I can tap my foot, sometimes it's even in time to the music.

Jon Szanto
November 2nd, 2015, 02:59 PM
I think that makes you a musician, producer, and composer. I guess we can let you in our vinyl record club.
I can tap my foot, sometimes it's even in time to the music.

I should also note that I have somewhere in the vicinity of 2,400 record albums. I think that was where I got my OCD training when I was young.