PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer Vac-fill repair question

Meerkat
November 1st, 2015, 11:13 PM
I've recently purchased two Sheaffer Vac-fill fountain pens, one Balance (I believe) and one tuckaway (also not entirely sure) but they are vac-fill, plunger type. The Tuckaway (or at least the smaller one) I've managed to disassemble and it's obvious that the washer is gone (actually gone) so that'll need replacing. However I noticed that fluid was coming up on the plunger shaft...so am I to assume that the packing unit will also need to be replaced?

On to the larger, suspected Balance. I've managed to get the section off, and when I did I noticed two little bits of rubber suspiciously came out. From what I can tell, these two bits used to be part of the feed that would push the plunger out of the way to allow for a more efficient fill. Will the pen work without this in place, or should I attempt to reattach? I'm also having some difficulty getting the blind cap off. I've looked for the brass screw that a tool could be used for removal, however I can only see one detent, vice the two that the tool mates with. At this point I've been unsuccessful in heating and unscrewing as the metal shaft is quite slippery and all gripping devices currently at my disposal have failed.

Any further ideas on the blind cap removal other than get grippier materials? Thanks!