PDA

View Full Version : Baby squid inks his first pens

Nom de plume
November 3rd, 2015, 12:57 PM
The bottle of Montblanc Mystery Black arrived today in the mail and I filled my father's MB146 and 221 for the first time.
Apart from needing better paper than the Eccolo notepad I had on hand, wow! Just wow!
Both pens write beautifully and feel fantastic in my southpaw. I'm off to practice my cursive writing like a third-grader.

http://a68.tinypic.com/2z815qd.jpg (65 KB)

Jon Szanto
November 3rd, 2015, 12:59 PM
This makes me very happy, and happy for you!

jar
November 3rd, 2015, 01:38 PM
Great. I suggest keeping track since in my experience it usually takes a couple days for MB feeds to get fully saturated after sitting unused for extended periods.

bluesea
November 4th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Good choice on the Mystery Black. I think its going to be my go-to black ink for the 146/149. It doesn't have the best saturation, but makes up for it by cleaning out so easily.

penwash
November 4th, 2015, 11:33 AM
As a fellow noob, I know the feeling.

I always thought that Montblanc ink bottles are kinda peculiarly shaped.
What's that empty arch on the bottom for?

bluesea
November 4th, 2015, 11:43 AM
As a fellow noob, I know the feeling.

I always thought that Montblanc ink bottles are kinda peculiarly shaped.
What's that empty arch on the bottom for?

Its an inkwell--as the bottle empties you channel the remaining ink into the front. If you need more depth, tilt the bottle. Its needed for the long short bottle shape.

Nom de plume
November 4th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Thanks bluesea, I just learned something new about Montblanc ink bottles. I just ordered a couple of syringes from Goulet Pens so I can get the last few drops out someday. And while I was at it, got a demonstrator pen so I can look at the ink in the pen and some paper and... Well you get the idea.
I've been trying out different notepads, Eccolo, Rhodia, and Oxford (Germany). So far the 90 gram Oxford notepad I picked up in our Germany office is my favorite. No spreading or skipping and it has a wonderful feel to it. The Rhodia comes in second and the Eccolo a distant third.

http://a67.tinypic.com/20sbr0y.jpg (41 KB)