PDA

View Full Version : Questions about vintage conklin endura

Ytah
November 7th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Dear FPN readers,
First my story I got from a collegue an old foutain pen (summit cadet) but the blatter was old, so in search for a fp-repairman my mother introduced me by mail with an old friend and former fp-shop owner. He repaired my pen for free and gave me very generous an extra pen, an conklin turtoise endura semiflex.

Can anyone provide me with information of this pen:
From what time periode is it (it is stamped patented 1925 on the lever), is it a 14k nib? Any information is welcome, greetings from Holland

Ytah
November 8th, 2015, 02:00 AM
Measurements:
Closed 13.4 cm (5.27inch)
Open 12.7 cm (5 inch)
Cap on 17.3 cm (6.8 inch)

jar
November 8th, 2015, 06:41 AM
The Conklin Endura is a great pen. The nib is 14K. They sometimes have a weak spot at the body where the pin for the lever is inserted. The Endura came in several lengths and if the nib says Toledo and the body just Endura was likely made during the mid to late 20s.

Ytah
November 8th, 2015, 06:44 AM
The Conklin Endura is a great pen. The nib is 14K. They sometimes have a weak spot at the body where the pin for the lever is inserted. The Endura came in several lengths and if the nib says Toledo and the body just Endura was likely made during the mid to late 20s.
Hi thanks, the nib says endura and the body toledo Ohio USA, so I am very curious which era?

jar
November 8th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Hi thanks, the nib says endura and the body toledo Ohio USA, so I am very curious which era?

Same answer, just my old fumble fingers and fading mind on the other post. At that time Conklin was one of the Big Four US Pen makers, Sheaffer, Parker, Waterman and Conklin. But as the country moved on into the 30s and 40s and Sheaffer introduced the Balance and Parker the beautiful Vacuumatics, striped Duofolds and then the "51" Conklin remained super conservative and their market share went down. Soon Wahl/Eversharp replaced them in the Big Four and before WWII Conklin got sold to a Chicago consortium.

You can see one of my Conklins from the same period second from the right.

http://www.fototime.com/3C2F57264C80320/large.jpg

Ytah
November 8th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Thx, you have been great help. And what a beautiful collection. Do you have also wet noodle nibs?

jar
November 8th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Thx, you have been great help. And what a beautiful collection. Do you have also wet noodle nibs?

Some but I'm not much of a wet noodle fan except when it's ramen.

Robert
November 8th, 2015, 04:11 PM
I don't know much about vintage Conklins, Ytah, but your handwriting is absolutely beautiful.

HughC
November 8th, 2015, 04:17 PM
As Jar mentions a late '20's pen in senior size, the Endura was the high end of the range. The colour on yours has faded a bit ( from left in picture 3 and 5 are same colour), all up it should make an excellent pen to use. I'd advise being careful and avoid over flexing the nib as they can can crack at the ends of the crescent shaped breather hole. A lovely gift to receive !!

Ytah
November 8th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks Hugh, and what a beautiful set of pens, I must say the photos I made were not in the best lighting condition and the camera was just a mobile. It still has pearlesence but it doesn't look so polished like yours. Are they polished for a second time or are they in mint condition? And wow I like the green on the right do you have an close up?