PDA

View Full Version : Remembering a good guy... and his pen

Jon Szanto
November 8th, 2015, 08:54 PM
So, I'm in the process of clearing out my parent's home, to help my Mom. My Dad has been gone for 7 years now. He loved his workshop, but his writing utensils were all drafting pencils, felt-tips, and ball points. Lo and behold, though - yesterday I found a Parker Jotter among it all, it must have come from his office at work (aerospace). Brought it home, cleaned it up a bit, put in a new refill and - ta-da! - Dad's right here with me! :)

I found a nice place to set the pen, resting in a photo frame that captures his workshop. I did this photo collage for Dad a few years back, putting together two images to gain 3 generations - my paternal grandfather Joseph, me, and my father John. And now Mr. Jotter!

http://i.imgur.com/4MVBZ6fl.jpg

Empty_of_Clouds
November 8th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Lost mine (father that is) 19 years back. Rather careless of me I suppose. Lovely tribute you have there Jon. I'm awaiting the recently found Sheaffer Something to arrive so I can put it with his watch, St Christopher and photos. Memories, eh!

Nom de plume
November 9th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Beautiful way to honor your Father's memory. My dad passed away three years ago and I use his mechanical pencils and fountain pens everyday. My twelve year-old daughter has one of his fountain pens now, so three generations have used that pen.

jar
November 9th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Neat. I have a few of my parents and grandparents fountain pens and watches.

Laura N
November 9th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Me, too. In my case, it's my mother's Parker 51 and my grandfather's Duofold. One day they'll go to my son and younger daughter, the two who like fountain pens, which is nice to know.

It's still a little sad using my mom's old pen, but as long as I don't think about it, I'm okay. I'm sure it'll get better in time. Maybe I should put it away for a few years.

Wahl
November 9th, 2015, 10:56 AM
I still keep my fatherīs Parker 21 and 45.

Hawk
November 9th, 2015, 01:13 PM
I have my parents Sheaffer desk pen and clock, as well as a Vacumatic and a couple of watches.

sharmon202
November 9th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Very nice thoughts and picture. Thanks for sharing.

Armstrong
November 9th, 2015, 06:09 PM
I worked aerospace and have a Jotter lol. Good memories.

necrotic
November 9th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Fantastic story

Fabienne
November 10th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I should tell the story about taking my father's Big Red ballpoint which I bought him back in the day, and turned it into a fountain pen. It's like keeping dad with me but with fountain pen in place of the ballpoint (he was a man who used a fountain pen, too).

rpsyed
November 15th, 2015, 06:37 PM
Such a wonderful way to pay tribute to your father and grandpa.

My dad passed away when I was 12. He was a doctor but he was also quite literary and loved writing poetry. And in contrast to the typical stereotype of doctors and handwriting, my father had beautiful penmanship. I'd love to have one of his pens. I do have a watch that he used to own, which I never wear out of fear of losing or damaging it, but it's one of my most treasured possessions.