PDA

View Full Version : Pen for beginners

dksuri
November 12th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Hi All!

I'm looking to purchase my first fountain pen for my travel journal for some upcoming trips. I've been reading a lot over the last few days and have come across a lot of pens. I'm most likely going to start off by just using cartridges and may switch to ink in the future but not sure. The two pens I have been hearing great things about are the Lamy Safari and Kaweco Sport Classic. Are there any others I should look at and which ones do you prefer?? Also was size Nib would be good me just starting out? I appreciate any and all help
Thanks in advance!

Kaputnik
November 12th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

I'm getting a bit leery about these first fountain pen threads. There are lots of relatively affordable models one can mention, but it's hard to say what's best for somebody else. If you can consider up to around $40, for example, you could look at the Pilot Prera. Some people might find it too small and light, though. The Pilot Metropolitan gets a lot of recommendations as a first pen. It's well made and inexpensive. Personally I find it uncomfortable to hold, others do not.

Nothing wrong with either pen that you mention. Whatever model you get, you might want to consider for the future what types of converters are available for it. Cartridges are convenient for travel, but if you want to fill from a bottle later, you'll probably want a converter. There is a good converter available for the Safari, and the Pilot models that I mentioned actually come with them (or should). You can buy a Kaweco converter, but it doesn't work very well in my experience. The Kaweco can also be eyedropper filled, where you fill the entire barrel of the pen with ink. Probably not a good idea when you're traveling, though. Empty cartridges can be refilled with a syringe. Get a blunt needle.

I assume that you're going to get some experience with your pen and learn its quirks before you head out on your travels. If you're flying, be aware that the changes in air pressure can sometimes cause a pen to burp ink. I "never had a problem" but that doesn't mean you won't. The usual advice is to carry the pen either empty or full (if it's full, there isn't any extra air to expand). Carry it nib up if at all possible, and put it in a zip-lock bag if it's in your luggage.

A given nib size can mean different things depending on the maker and the country of origin. Japanese nibs can run a bit finer than German ones. I'd probably pick a medium for a Pilot pen, a fine for a Lamy or Kaweco, but I don't think you'd go horribly wrong with either a fine or a medium from any of those makers. Unless your handwriting is really tiny, or your journal is very small, in which case you could consider a fine or even extra fine. Probably best not to get an Italic nib at first, although they can be fun.

Hope that helps a bit. There are many other pens you could get besides the ones already mentioned. Platinum makes some models which are worth looking at, but I'd rather leave specific recommendations to people who have used them.

Laura N
November 12th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Hi All!

I'm looking to purchase my first fountain pen for my travel journal for some upcoming trips. I've been reading a lot over the last few days and have come across a lot of pens. I'm most likely going to start off by just using cartridges and may switch to ink in the future but not sure. The two pens I have been hearing great things about are the Lamy Safari and Kaweco Sport Classic. Are there any others I should look at and which ones do you prefer?? Also was size Nib would be good me just starting out? I appreciate any and all help
Thanks in advance!

There are a lot of good ones. It depends on your needs and likes. What pen size and weight do you like, for example? Cartridges do make sense when traveling. Do you want to write with a fine line or a wider line? Not knowing, I think the size "fine" is a good all-purpose size.

If you are going cartridges -- which I love -- the Kaweco Classic Sport takes short international size cartridges, which gives you more ink options than the Safari, which only takes proprietary cartridges. The Classic Sport is smaller; the Safari may be more durable -- both are good for travel.

Since you're traveling an inexpensive pen is a great idea.

Miss Fountain Pen
November 12th, 2015, 02:02 PM
One warning about the Safari: it has a triangular grip section, which some people find uncomfortable. Other people have no issues with it. It all depends on how you hold your pen. I have no experience with Kaweco, so I can't comment on that one.

carlos.q
November 12th, 2015, 02:43 PM
One warning about the Safari: it has a triangular grip section, which some people find uncomfortable. Other people have no issues with it. It all depends on how you hold your pen. I have no experience with Kaweco, so I can't comment on that one.
Yes, the famous triangular grip section is designed to help first time fountain pen users to learn a proper tripod grip while writing. A fountain pen is NOT a ballpoint and should not be used like one.

Miss Fountain Pen
November 12th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Yes, the famous triangular grip section is designed to help first time fountain pen users to learn a proper tripod grip while writing. A fountain pen is NOT a ballpoint and should not be used like one.

Be that as it may, I enjoy a wide variety of fountain pens, but not the Safari. I find the triangular grip section uncomfortable. In the end, I gave mine away. The person I gave it to has no issues with the section and is very happy with the pen. So... My Safari got a good new home, and I happily write with my non-triangular pens. :) It may be that I hold my pens "improperly," but I'd rather have pens that can be held the way I want to hold them than have pens that force (or "teach") me to write in a way that I find uncomfortable.

pajaro
November 12th, 2015, 03:06 PM
My first good fountain pen was a Parker 51, and what I didn't realize in 1970 was that it would turn out to be the best pen I ever had. $25 the set in 1970.

The next good new fountain I bought was in 1983, when I bought a Montblanc 144. $135 in 1983. These two pens are the best I have ever used. Not so much Pilots, Sailors, Pelikans, bigger Montblancs, Sonnets, Watermans, etc. Sometimes you should ignore the static and go for the gusto, unless you want to try every other pen just for the fun of it.

Taidragon
November 12th, 2015, 03:12 PM
I am pretty new to fountain pens also. I use a Safari quite a lot, and I do enjoy using it. The grip doesn't bother me. You said you were getting it for a travel journal. If you do get a Safari, (sigh...so many pretty colors haha), I would recommend getting a Fine or maybe an extra fine nib. I bullet journal in a Moleskine, and it doesn't seem to bleed through. If it's a higher quality journal, with better paper, you may not care to much about how the ink looks on the paper. But that might be a small consideration when you are looking at pens.

nospam666
November 12th, 2015, 03:23 PM
The pilot Kakuno has a six sided grip that helps you hold the pen correctly. I find it much more comfortable than the Safari. Although I do hold my pen with a standard grip, I could never hold the Safari for more than 30 seconds without wanting to throw it across the room.

Laura N
November 12th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Since he or she is traveling and wants to use cartridges, I think that narrows down the selection nicely, cutting down a whole bunch of good pens. And also some duds. :)

If the OP wants to spend more, the Pelikan P200 is intriguing, too. But maybe too pricey, since the nibs supposedly aren't interchangeable. Someday I'd really like to try that one.

Jeph
November 12th, 2015, 04:03 PM
I am happy with the Lamy Safari. I used to keep one by my chair since it was indestructible and even if I did ding it up it did not matter. I will mention that I far prefer the plastic (cheaper) one to the metal (AL) Safari. Also they are a little large for a shirt pocket in my opinion.

The Kaweco is fine as long as you do not plan to graduate to a converter with it. The converters for the Kaweco Sports are horrible. The pen itself is very nice as you can plop it into a pants pocket with minimal (but non-zero) risk.

To go a bit retro the basic Parker 45 can be had for around the price of a Safari but you will have to use Parker cartridges which limits the available colors. I have never looked for a non-Parker source for cartridges in more colors so they may exist. It can also be completely disassembled without tools and is nearly indestructible plus fits nicely into a shirt pocket and has no cap threads that may annoy you.

As far as nib size, look at what your normal handwriting is like and try to match that. There was a measurement that you could do to find out "your" nib width but I can't remember where I found it. It was accurate (EF) for me. With no other information I would start with either a Western medium or fine.

inklord
November 12th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Pilot Metropolitan or, if you want to stick with cartridges, a pen that accepts standard internationals, for better ink variety (J.Herbin, Montblanc and Diamine offer lots of colors in carts...) The Kaweco sounds good for that. Lamy cartridge ink is soso at best (and I'm a Lamy fan...)
To determine your nib size: try to find someone with a German/European pen (tend to be bolder) and with a Japanese pen (tend to be finer) If that is possible, try out one of each in any given, but known width. If your "e" and "l" loops are filled with ink in normal writing, get a finer nib than the one you've tried. If they are wide open and a bit shaky looking, get a bolder nib that just doesn't fill the loops with ink. Most of all: have fun!

inklord
November 12th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Since he or she is traveling and wants to use cartridges, I think that narrows down the selection nicely, cutting down a whole bunch of good pens. And also some duds. :)

If the OP wants to spend more, the Pelikan P200 is intriguing, too. But maybe too pricey, since the nibs supposedly aren't interchangeable. Someday I'd really like to try that one.
I had a P200. Neat pen, feels vintage, and can also be eyedroppered! Gave it to a friend though (I just didn't reach for it often enough)

Waski_the_Squirrel
November 12th, 2015, 07:14 PM
You picked two good pens, and I think you'll be satisfied with either. But, you should know that they each have a bit of strangeness. The Kaweco is a pocket pen, so it will not be "normal" size unless posted. The Safari has a triangular grip, which bothers some people.

Others to consider include the Noodler's Konrad (which may require some tinkering, but the bonus is you'll learn how fountain pens work), the Pilot Prera (a little higher priced, but a good pen), and some of the Jinhao pens (cheap, but decent). The Parker Vector is also a nice introductory pen. It's reliable, if not very exciting, and it was my introduction to the fountain pen world. Also, some of the TWSBI pens can be introductory pens. The Mini is great and so is the Classic. I don't know the newest model, but it is designed to be entry level.

Lady Onogaro
November 12th, 2015, 08:51 PM
I use a Safari every day. I like it. But I also like the Kaweco.

chemguyethan
November 13th, 2015, 12:25 AM
I'll throw another pen(s) to consider. Faber Castell "Loom" or "Basic." Sturdy pens, both $40 or less depending on where you buy from, will take standard international cartridges or converters, and have fantastic nibs. I've used broad (which I love) and have tried medium and fine (medium being my preference of the two). I have a Loom in metallic blue with a broad nib that I really enjoy using. The looks of the pen took a little time to grow on me, I will admit. Some don't like the metal section, but I don't have trouble with it.

My first pen was a Safari, and while they are just fine, I personally just don't like the aesthetics. And the proprietary cartridge/converter can be annoying to some. Along the lines of proprietary ink systems, I also got a Pilot Metropolitan early on and still use that pen every day (it's my lab pen with bulletproof ink!). I would also highly recommend those pens; they're cheap, sturdy, nice simple design, nice nibs, and just plain work.

My best advice would be find somewhere or someone who has pens you're looking for and TRY THEM OUT! Save yourself time and money by getting to hold the pen, write with it (if the shop will let you), check out different nib sizes in a brand, and see the pens in person before dropping the dollars on one. If you're travelling around, you don't want to be stuck with a pen that's uncomfortable for you or that you just can't stand to write with after too long.

Good luck!

Nom de plume
November 13th, 2015, 06:20 AM
You don't mention if your trips include air travel, but flying with inked fountain pens can present some challenges. Like you, I am new to fountain pens. I have a trip starting next week and would like to use a fountain pen with my journal so I will stick an empty Kaweco Classic Sport in my bag along with a box of cartridges and ink the pen when I get off the plane.

Sailor Kenshin
November 13th, 2015, 07:52 AM
I am happy with the Lamy Safari. I used to keep one by my chair since it was indestructible and even if I did ding it up it did not matter. I will mention that I far prefer the plastic (cheaper) one to the metal (AL) Safari. Also they are a little large for a shirt pocket in my opinion.

The Kaweco is fine as long as you do not plan to graduate to a converter with it. The converters for the Kaweco Sports are horrible. The pen itself is very nice as you can plop it into a pants pocket with minimal (but non-zero) risk.

To go a bit retro the basic Parker 45 can be had for around the price of a Safari but you will have to use Parker cartridges which limits the available colors. I have never looked for a non-Parker source for cartridges in more colors so they may exist. It can also be completely disassembled without tools and is nearly indestructible plus fits nicely into a shirt pocket and has no cap threads that may annoy you.

As far as nib size, look at what your normal handwriting is like and try to match that. There was a measurement that you could do to find out "your" nib width but I can't remember where I found it. It was accurate (EF) for me. With no other information I would start with either a Western medium or fine.

The Kaweco con I bought for my Sport did not fit the pen at all. I was compelled to say that.

reprieve
November 13th, 2015, 08:27 AM
There have been some great recommendations so far. I will echo what everyone else has said about the Lamy Safari, Pilot Metropolitan, Pilot Prera, Kaweco Sport, and Faber Castell Loom. They are all wonderful inexpensive pens and I own and use each of them regularly.

I will also toss out a few other suggestions: The Lamy Logo. It uses the same nibs as the Safari/Al-Star, but its aesthetics are cleaner and more grown up. If you're worried about the triangular grip, the Logo has a round grip, though it is a smaller and thinner pen than the Safari/Al-Star. Since you want to use cartridges, I will actually say something positive about Lamy's ink options: their violet, copper orange, turquoise, and green inks are really pretty and are all well-behaved. I'm also a fan of Lamy Blue and Blue-black, but others find them boring. If you do, too, know that there are some other ink color options for Lamy that are available in cartridges.

My other suggestions are both from Platinum: the Platinum Plaisir and the Platinum Cool (or Balance if you prefer a solid color rather than a demonstrator). The Plaisir is a really nice snap-cap pen that won't dry out and comes in some nice colors. They're reliable writers, even if the nibs are a little boring compared to some of your other options. The Cool is one of my new favorites. I have it in blue and use it everyday at work with Platinum Carbon Blue cartridges (one of the few waterproof inks available in cartridges, if that matters to you). It's a lovely writer, the nib is somewhat bouncy rather than totally stiff, and it puts down a reliable line. The fine nib is very fine, though, so if you want a thicker line, you should go with the medium nib on that one.

You don't mention if your trips include air travel, but flying with inked fountain pens can present some challenges. Like you, I am new to fountain pens. I have a trip starting next week and would like to use a fountain pen with my journal so I will stick an empty Kaweco Classic Sport in my bag along with a box of cartridges and ink the pen when I get off the plane.

I have flown hundreds of times (literally) with my fountain pens. I've had very few problems, even when the pens are half-full (or half-empty :)), as long as I remember to put them nib-up. I carry several inked pens in a pen case and put the case in the seat pocket in front of me to ensure that they remain nib-up for the entire flight. The only leaks I've ever had were with a few vintage pens and an Edison bulb-filler.

penwash
November 13th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Welcome!
The others already addressed the pen choices and I agree with them all.
I would add a recommendation to get a restored Esterbrook J pen if you like to write with vintage pens that is quite reliable. I love Esterbrook pens.

The nib size, I found out that it depends on how we write. If you tend to write smaller characters/letters, then XF or F would be your safe choices.
Notice that the size of your writing does not necessarily correspond with the size of your hands. I've seen a gentleman with largish hand who wrote very neat little letters.

I tend to write smaller, although practicing with my Kaweco which has a 1.1mm stub nib, has taught me to appreciate larger writings.
Plus I like to sketch, so XF and F are my choices.

There are people who just love M and B. You may be one of them.

stub
November 13th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Montegrappa Chaos with OBBB nib would be a great portable beginner pen option. I'm just putting that out there.

stub
November 13th, 2015, 11:30 AM
If you're going to be using cartridges then you also have to think a little bit ahead about ink. I happen to like the Lamy Safari but then you're stuck using Lamy ink. I think for travel and for international cartridges the Kaweco is hard to beat. A Kaweco AL Sport was my travel pen last year in an attempt to finally use up some of my international cartridges sitting in my drawer. But look also at the Other Kaweco offerings like the Dia.

And ... there's also a version of the Pilot Metropolitan that takes international cartridges but of course if you just get the regular Metropolitan you can just use Pilot cartridges and those are excellent as well.

But another good option is the Platinum Standard 14k. Which will get you a little gold which is nice and springy but of course you'll be stuck with Platinum cartridges but put in a make is pretty nice so that's not too bad.

Sailor Kenshin
November 13th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Oh, yeah, the Kaweco? Even though the so-called converter is trash, it IS a cute pen with many available nib sizes, and works well with cartridges.

Have I mentioned cute?

Laura N
November 13th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Oh, yeah, the Kaweco? Even though the so-called converter is trash, it IS a cute pen with many available nib sizes, and works well with cartridges.

Have I mentioned cute?

But what's wrong with the converter? Okay, it's small, but it works. Doesn't it? It does for me. What have I missed? It's kind of like a mini 51 aerometric filler without the metal bar.

Sailor Kenshin
November 13th, 2015, 03:13 PM

Have I mentioned cute?

But what's wrong with the converter? Okay, it's small, but it works. Doesn't it? It does for me. What have I missed? It's kind of like a mini 51 aerometric filler without the metal bar.

I know! And it looks so cute! That's why I bought it. Cute. But it doesn't fit. As in, it won't even go into the pen it is supposed to go into, nor any other pen that takes standard internationals.

Laura N
November 13th, 2015, 03:52 PM

Have I mentioned cute?

I know! And it looks so cute! That's why I bought it. Cute. But it doesn't fit. As in, it won't even go into the pen it is supposed to go into, nor any other pen that takes standard internationals.

Seriously? I have one in a Kaweco Sport right now. It must be a different one. I'm going to attach a photo, to see if we're talking about the same thing. :)

Sailor Kenshin
November 13th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Same converter. Doesn't fit my pen. Or any other. I probably got a defective one.

Laura N
November 13th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Same converter. Doesn't fit my pen. Or any other. I probably got a defective one.

Mine fits in all my Kaweco Sports but I've never tried it in any other pen except a Kaweco Dia2 -- and it doesn't fit the Kaweco Dia2. I'm not sure I understand why, because both take international cartridges.

I might email them and ask. That Kaweco above is the AL-Sport in raw aluminum, and I'm reviewing it. Spoiler alert: love it.

Kaputnik
November 13th, 2015, 04:29 PM

The Kaweco con I bought for my Sport did not fit the pen at all. I was compelled to say that.

Have I mentioned cute?

Reading positive reviews on this converter from some other people on the Jet Pens site, I've wondered about this. I bought two of them, I think because it brought an ink order up to the amount for "free" shipping. Now Jet Pens is a reputable site, probably my favorite online retailer, so I'm sure that I got the genuine article. I didn't try to return them, just wrote them off as a mistake. But neither one will work acceptably in my Classic Sport, although they do fit. They draw in only a tiny amount of ink, if any. The feed gets saturated, but then, just leaving it in the bottle long enough should do that. I never see any ink make it as far as the transparent sac. Given that I have seen positive reviews on these, I can think of three possibilities.

Operator error on my part. I really don't think so, as I have used a lot of filling mechanisms and converters like this one, but you never know. We're all fallible.
There's a knack to it. Not quite operator error, but something about using this squeeze converter is just a bit different. Again, I don't really think so, but it's something to think about.
Inconsistent QC. This is my best guess for inconsistent results. The fact that Sailor Kenshin's won't even fit provides some support for that. Thinking about what could be wrong with mine, my first guess would be an air leak somewhere, or perhaps failure to make a tight seal.

It's probably not significant, but I notice that your picture of the converter in the pen seems to show the aluminum version of the Sport; not sure about Sailor Kenshin, but I have the plastic version. Should work in both, I would think. I know that it won't fit in my Liliput, though.

Anyway, based on my own experience I could not recommend the converter to anyone, though I might note that some have had better results than I. I do have a to-do list of pen repairs, though, all vintage so far, which is supposed to take the place of buying new stuff come January 1st. :) Maybe I should stick "getting Kaweco converter to work" on to the end of it.

penwash
November 13th, 2015, 04:47 PM
I re-fill my Kaweco Sport using the same cartridge with blunt a syringe.
No need to mess with converters.

I think the blunt syringe is one of the most useful fountain pen accessory out there.

stub
November 13th, 2015, 04:58 PM
The converter for the sport is awful. Mine fits but doesn't fill well. I also just syringe fill the cartridge if i use bottled ink.

Sailor Kenshin
November 13th, 2015, 05:07 PM

Have I mentioned cute?

Reading positive reviews on this converter from some other people on the Jet Pens site, I've wondered about this. I bought two of them, I think because it brought an ink order up to the amount for "free" shipping. Now Jet Pens is a reputable site, probably my favorite online retailer, so I'm sure that I got the genuine article. I didn't try to return them, just wrote them off as a mistake. But neither one will work acceptably in my Classic Sport, although they do fit. They draw in only a tiny amount of ink, if any. The feed gets saturated, but then, just leaving it in the bottle long enough should do that. I never see any ink make it as far as the transparent sac. Given that I have seen positive reviews on these, I can think of three possibilities.

Operator error on my part. I really don't think so, as I have used a lot of filling mechanisms and converters like this one, but you never know. We're all fallible.
There's a knack to it. Not quite operator error, but something about using this squeeze converter is just a bit different. Again, I don't really think so, but it's something to think about.
Inconsistent QC. This is my best guess for inconsistent results. The fact that Sailor Kenshin's won't even fit provides some support for that. Thinking about what could be wrong with mine, my first guess would be an air leak somewhere, or perhaps failure to make a tight seal.

It's probably not significant, but I notice that your picture of the converter in the pen seems to show the aluminum version of the Sport; not sure about Sailor Kenshin, but I have the plastic version. Should work in both, I would think. I know that it won't fit in my Liliput, though.

Anyway, based on my own experience I could not recommend the converter to anyone, though I might note that some have had better results than I. I do have a to-do list of pen repairs, though, all vintage so far, which is supposed to take the place of buying new stuff come January 1st. :) Maybe I should stick "getting Kaweco converter to work" on to the end of it.

I have the regular plastic version of the Sport. Whoever I ordered it from, I waited too long even to try it out, so I can't ask for a refund or replacement.

For what it's worth, I have similar problems with Pelikanos and Juniors. This cart won't fit, that one will, and the Specially Ordered Pelikan Converter doesn't fit at all.

:(

Kaputnik
November 13th, 2015, 05:21 PM
But what's wrong with the converter?...I have one in a Kaweco Sport right now. It must be a different one. I'm going to attach a photo, to see if we're talking about the same thing. :)

Lots of verbiage in my last post, but I should have looked at yours more closely before answering. No, it's not the same converter. Mine must be an earlier version. Mine are partially enclosed by metal and have a squeeze bar. So I have no experience with the kind you have.

See attached picture. I don't think it shows, but the sac is transparent so you can see the ink not going in. :)

VertOlive
November 13th, 2015, 07:54 PM
I have two of the Kaweco mini-squeezy-convertors shown in Laura's photo of the Raw Aluminum. One works wonderfully, the other one is more like what Kenshin described.

So...maybe really inconsistent QC?

That said, my Kaweco Aluminum with fine nib and shortie Kaweco cartridges is my go-to travel rig.

Laura N
November 13th, 2015, 09:54 PM
So, yes, I bought this converter for my regular plastic Kaweco Sport pens -- just the ordinary ones. I've used it multiple times in a number of those, and never had a problem. Actually I have two of these converters, and they've both worked. This raw aluminum AL Sport is just a loaner, so new to me. But one of those converters is in it right now, and working fine.

I do agree with Vert Olive that there must be inconsistent quality, however, because a lot of people's experiences have not been as positive as mine. That's a bummer.

Sailor Kenshin
November 14th, 2015, 05:11 AM
But what's wrong with the converter?...I have one in a Kaweco Sport right now. It must be a different one. I'm going to attach a photo, to see if we're talking about the same thing. :)

Lots of verbiage in my last post, but I should have looked at yours more closely before answering. No, it's not the same converter. Mine must be an earlier version. Mine are partially enclosed by metal and have a squeeze bar. So I have no experience with the kind you have.

See attached picture. I don't think it shows, but the sac is transparent so you can see the ink not going in. :)

Yah, that's a different one than mine. But I have a trick I use even for converters that do fit: load it with a pipette, install, then try ejecting a drop or two of ink to saturate the feed.

Laura N
November 14th, 2015, 08:29 AM

Yah, that's a different one than mine. But I have a trick I use even for converters that do fit: load it with a pipette, install, then try ejecting a drop or two of ink to saturate the feed.

Yes! I often do the same thing, although I use the syringe to put a drop or two of ink on the feed. I have found that works especially well with the Kaweco Sport. Something about the feed design, I think.

Waski_the_Squirrel
November 14th, 2015, 01:22 PM
I have a Kaweco Sport (the plastic one) with the squeeze converter. I really don't like the converter at all, but have not had a problem with it fitting in the pen.

Kaputnik
November 14th, 2015, 05:08 PM
I think I share some responsibility for derailing the thread, and hope the OP ends up with a good first pen. :angel:

But, since I've already said this much, I had another look at the customer reviews over at Jet Pens, and see that some of them claim that the newer version of the Kaweco converter does not fit some older versions of the Sport. Which sounds plausible.

As for filling up a converter with a pipette and then putting it in a pen, that seems to defeat the purpose of having a converter in the first place. I could just as easily refill a cartridge with a syringe, and then prime the nib and feed by dipping it into a bottle of the same ink (which I have done sometimes). If a converter can't be used to fill a pen while it's installed in the pen (which my old one cannot) then there's a problem with the design.

dksuri
November 14th, 2015, 07:58 PM
Well thank you everyone for you responses

Chuasam
November 15th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Faber Castell Basic
http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/fabercastell/basic_fp_matt.jpg

dksuri
November 15th, 2015, 02:55 PM
So I made my purchase today and ended up buying the Kaweco Sport.

bluesea
November 16th, 2015, 05:49 PM
I started with a Pilot Met. Knowing what I know now (heh), I'd probably go with the Pilot Kakuno. Basically same-o, same-o. Syringe refilling Pilot cartridges is noticeably simpler than the same with international carts. The Pilot cart can be flushed and hand tapped clean, whereas the international needs to be syringe cleaned. Two syringe steps (international) vs one (pilot), take your pick.

Laurie
November 16th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Whilst the thread has virtually been fulfilled because of the purchase I would have considered a Lamy Al star which was my first pen after doing much research. It is still one of my favourites. I also bought a Pilot Plumix which i can also recommend. Very reliable writer and I like seeing the different coloured inks through the clear barrell. Both are very cheap and I would recommend them to any others beginning a collection.

Sailor Kenshin
November 17th, 2015, 05:31 AM
By the way, I fill a converter with a pipette out of the pen whenever I'm filling from a sample vial and don't want to ick up my pen too much.

bluesea
November 17th, 2015, 08:10 AM
By the way, I fill a converter with a pipette out of the pen whenever I'm filling from a sample vial and don't want to ick up my pen too much.

But then you have to prime the feed and nib to get the ink flowing. Otoh I obsess on cleaning the feed/nib/section on third refill.

Sailor Kenshin
November 17th, 2015, 08:46 AM

But then you have to prime the feed and nib to get the ink flowing. Otoh I obsess on cleaning the feed/nib/section on third refill.

I prime it by inserting the loaded con, then ejecting two, three drops back into the vial. Like how you load a piston-filler.

Frank
November 29th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Its STILL hard to beat the Safari!