PDA

View Full Version : OMAS facing Bankruptcy .... ugh

earthdawn
November 16th, 2015, 06:37 PM
So it was on Pentrace that OMAS will be filling tomorrow..

Ill try and get more details but that's the latest.

Supposedly there is a small group of employees trying to get a rescue plan together.

Man and they just released that huge BBB nib too.

Sad day if it happens

tandaina
November 16th, 2015, 06:43 PM
So it was on Penetrace that OMAS will be filling tomorrow..

Supposedly there is a small group of employees trying to get a rescue plan together.

Sad day if it happens

Sad, but a part of my thinks "well gee if they sold any pens at all that the majority of people could afford." :\ I mean I own Nakaya and I have never, ever been able to must the will or funds to buy an Omas new. :\ I hope they can turn the company around and maybe find ways to diversify their offerings.

fountainpenkid
November 16th, 2015, 06:59 PM

Sad day if it happens

Sad, but a part of my thinks "well gee if they sold any pens at all that the majority of people could afford." :\ I mean I own Nakaya and I have never, ever been able to must the will or funds to buy an Omas new. :\ I hope they can turn the company around and maybe find ways to diversify their offerings.

While I wish they were more affordable as well, most of their prices are not really that out of line with the market for Italian pens in general today (Aurora and Montegrappa have similarly high prices).

Giovanni Abrate
November 16th, 2015, 07:59 PM

Sad day if it happens

Actually, it's Pentrace, found at www.newpentrace.net

notsim
November 17th, 2015, 04:31 AM
I hope my online order gets fulfilled :(

dannzeman
November 17th, 2015, 12:22 PM
The rumors are true, the owners of Omas, Chinese Group O-Luxe, is looking to sell the Italian pen company by the end of 2015. There are 2 companies making offers, though I don't know who.

In the mean time, Omas is accepting orders and shipping normally. For concerns regarding repairs, Classic Fountain Pens (nibs.com) has recently become the official North American repair center.

As soon as additional information is available, I'll let you know.

KKay
November 17th, 2015, 12:43 PM
That is a shame. I love the look of their pens. I had thought maybe one day I could get one. For the most part, they are priced out of my league though, sadly.

penwash
November 17th, 2015, 05:32 PM
I just saw a video on how OMAS 360 is produced, that's some high-caliber machining setup they have going on.
It would be a shame to close it down.

youstruckgold
November 22nd, 2015, 04:58 AM
This is a fabulous fountain pen company of 90 years old. One of the few still to use ebonite feeds. Their "extra flessible" nibs are fabulous (provided you treat them with respect). Their celluloids are spectacular. Their designs are innovative (especially the original and "vintage" 360 pens). Their piston fillers are wonderful and the degree with which they remain hand-made is still extraordinary. For a staff of only 17 people they are amazing! I, for one, am crossing all appropriate digits that they make it through this difficult period.

notsim
November 22nd, 2015, 03:30 PM
Well my order shipped, so I have a pair of vintage 360's in arco celluloid coming, so excited! I hope they make it through this turbulent time, I love their pens!

inklord
November 23rd, 2015, 05:30 AM
My favorite company among the Italian ones...

TSherbs
November 24th, 2015, 02:12 PM
If the company is profitable and stable, it will likely be bought. If not, well....perhaps for a loss....

Frank
December 2nd, 2015, 07:53 PM
Updates??

Frank

katanankes
February 21st, 2016, 06:01 AM
Sadly the word is out. Omas has officially ceased operations and laid off almost all staff (their taking down the ecommerce feature from their website in early January was not a good sign). There are already a number of discussions on the web. Thing is that the current owner (a Chinese company) rejected all offers for a buyout (we are not given to know whether they were legitimate offers or lowball ones) and just wants to shut down an unprofitable company. However this is not a bankruptcy, but a voluntary liquidation. This means that there will not be a judiciary auction for Omas' assets, but, after settling all outstanding debts, the shareholder most likely will retain ownership of the brand, machinery and some other assets. So in the future they might still attempt a sale or to revive the brand. But for now no more Omas and all artisan know how behind the pens is going to disappear.

A well known American reseller advised in a post that the company will continue to work to honor warranties for the next six months or so.

youstruckgold
February 21st, 2016, 06:04 AM
Thankyou for the update- a sad day. My tribute to OMAS is up on my blog : eclectidbits.blogspot.com.au
The brand may not be producing new pens but it has 90 years of pens we can continue to share

jvlgato
February 21st, 2016, 06:30 AM
Sad.[emoji45]

My Paragon London Fog is one of my favorites! They are expensive, though. I'm lucky to have found a nice deal used. I hope they find a way to continue down the road.

Haefennasiel
February 22nd, 2016, 08:32 AM
Pardon me while I go crawl in a dark corner and sob uncontrollably ... :cry: