PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Pelican engraving on top of Pelikan pen cap

Laurie
November 16th, 2015, 11:26 PM
I have a couple of Pelikans M400 and a M200. The pelican engraving on the cap of the M200 is no longer visible as the gold paint has worn away. I was think of buying a small tin of gold enamal and smearing it across the top and rubbing it off before it dried with a cloth. Anyone have any ideas whether this would work or there are other ways to do this. I know some craft shops carry gold coloured products that are used on picture frames etc. There is a produce I used on a model aircraft called Rub'n Buff which has a gold colour. However it never dries to a hard finish and handling leaves fingerprints. But I suppose you would be reaching the inside of the engraving very much. Any ideas would be appreciated.

pajaro
November 18th, 2015, 12:36 PM
If you use a product to re-gilt the Pelican, a clear acrylic varnish applied sparingly might hold it down.

I know a lot of fountain pen people like to denigrate ballpoint use, but some of us collect ballpoints too, and the plastic rose comment reads lame and trite.

It's sort of like saying that writing a love letter with a fountain pen to your sweetheart on Valentine's Day is like trying to drive your car with a buggy whip.

Laurie
November 18th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Sorry I offended some. Not intended. I have changed my signature.