PDA

View Full Version : Looking for resources for 149 (146) nibs

bluesea
November 19th, 2015, 11:19 AM
I have a '75-'85 149 w/ split ebonite feed and one piece barrel. For this I'm looking for an extra fine or if not available, a fine nib. My search-fu in not all that great, and haven't been able to find any resources. Sure wish nibs.com had one listed.

Out of curiosity do the current production 149 nibs fit this vintage 149? There is the option to have the current nib reground, but I will try first to keep the pristine stock 14C f nib unmolested, which will help the pen sell easier if I should later put it on the market.

jar
November 19th, 2015, 11:49 AM
The current nibs may fit in the pen but would almost certainly require changing out the feeder and feeder case at a minimum. Why not contact Max Schrage (http://fountainpen.de/service-reparatur.htm)?

ChrisC
November 19th, 2015, 06:39 PM
There are a bunch of options on Martini Auctions available. In addition , I don't think regrinding the nib will change the value. MB nibs aren't marked, so I don't think it matters.

bluesea
November 22nd, 2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks, I believe I will send it in for a regrind, or perhaps put it on the block. Still, great resources.

In the meantime I'm attempting to modify my writing for a thicker line. 1.0mm C.I.--no problems. This 149 fine and most any euro medium and above--not so good.

Laura N
November 22nd, 2015, 10:07 AM
There are a bunch of options on Martini Auctions available. In addition , I don't think regrinding the nib will change the value. MB nibs aren't marked, so I don't think it matters.

I disagree, and instead agree with the OP. Because it matters to me. A nib having been reground to a different size changes the nib, and I would expect that to be disclosed upon sale. That doesn't mean it would lower the value, either. Some nib work would increase the value -- for example, a Richard Binder stubbed Pelikan or a Mike Masuyama needlepoint Franklin Christoph.

If one has a "pristine stock 14C f nib" and has it reground, an ethical seller would disclose that fact, and not hide behind MB's lack of markings. If the pen has been modified by someone good, the seller would fare very well.

bluesea
November 22nd, 2015, 12:51 PM

I disagree, and instead agree with the OP. Because it matters to me. A nib having been reground to a different size changes the nib, and I would expect that to be disclosed upon sale. That doesn't mean it would lower the value, either. Some nib work would increase the value -- for example, a Richard Binder stubbed Pelikan or a Mike Masuyama needlepoint Franklin Christoph.

If one has a "pristine stock 14C f nib" and has it reground, an ethical seller would disclose that fact, and not hide behind MB's lack of markings. If the pen has been modified by someone good, the seller would fare very well.

Absolutely--full disclosure is a must.

I guess one of my main concerns in regrinding the stock 14c marked nib, is this 149 in pretty close to mint condition. Finding myself (recently) to be an ef-needlepoint oriented writer, makes it difficult to evaluate the 149 for my needs and preferences.

pajaro
November 22nd, 2015, 09:15 PM
That's provided you know that a nib modification has been made. With successive resales you might not know. Info gets lost.

ChrisC
November 22nd, 2015, 10:40 PM
If I knew that the nib was modded, then yes I would disclose that because I know many people are looking for a specific feel that the factory of each brand alone can give.

FredRydr
November 25th, 2015, 08:36 PM
PM me for a source in Cleveland Ohio. Figure about $200 for a No. 9 Montblanc nib. He was at the Columbus Ohio show.

Fred