PDA

View Full Version : Extra Fine Pens/Nibs

MrClockWork
November 5th, 2012, 09:33 AM
So I recently got my first fountain pen (Lamy Safari EF) and shortly returned to the store to get a converter and my first bottle of ink. (That didn't take long :)) I am a long time journaler and have been been using Moleskines and a Uniball roller ball for years. My handwriting is super small and I am currently working to make it a bit larger and improve my cursive. The Moleskine paper in my journal is not very friendly to my fountain pen but my moleskine for notes at work is fine for it, grrrrr. I now have a Rhodia pad for longer notes at work which is great but I am a bit anal about finishing a journal once i start it and this pen/paper combo is going to drive me nuts. That being said I am looking to buy my second pen and I am looking for one that has a nib possibly a little finer than my Lamy EF. I know that asian pens are typically on the finer side so I am wondering if someone can lead me in the right direction. I have been looking at the TWSBI 540 EF but I am totally open to any suggestions. I am looking to stay around the $50 range for now. Any help is much app[reciated :)

KrazyIvan
November 5th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Look at Pilot 78G, and the Pilot Prera. Good extra fine nibs that are not too scratchy and should play well with Moleskine.

EDIT:Forgot to add that TWSBI, while an Asian brand, uses western nibs, so they will not be as thin as what is typical for an Asian nib. A broad TWSBI is about equal to a Lamy M.

MrClockWork
November 5th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Good to know about the TWSBI. I didn't even know about the 78G. Looks like they aren't made anymore so I will have to find one on Ebay or something like that. Thanks!

KrazyIvan
November 5th, 2012, 03:47 PM
check isellpens.com. He has quite a bit of selection last time I looked.

Pinkys.Brain
November 11th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Not the finest out their, but you could also take a look at Kaweco Sport EF. Pretty smooth for how fine it is. You can also check the Nib Nook feature of the GouletPens website:
http://www.gouletpens.com/Nib_Nook_s/1114.htm

JustDaveyB
November 11th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Sailor H-F nibs are very fine so look at a 1911M or the Sapporo

Writing samples of my Sailor H-F nibs

http://justdaveyb.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/ws133152234_20121019_tn.jpg
http://justdaveyb.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/ws132151226_20120824_tn.jpg

MrClockWork
November 13th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I got my few pens in from Isellpens and I can certainly see where the addiction can come from. I got a 78G in F and it is great for my notes at work writing on crappy copy paper. I also got a Hero 329? and it is a pretty bold writer for being fine. Here's to finding the ultimate pen for me :)

KrazyIvan
November 14th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Wow, a Hero that writes bold-ish? That's not the usual Hero.

MrClockWork
November 14th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I am finding out that it may be the paper but I am also converting myself from a semi-microscopic hand as well (I could fit two lines of text inside the ruling of a Moleskine w/o changing my hand at all) so take my "bold" claim with a grain of salt. Hopefully I can go from super fine and neat to a more normal size and still legible. How about some feed back on a few F/EF pens I have been looking at...? lets talk about performance out of the box, value, versitility (eyedropper,converter, etc), lets talk about it all. Feel free to add suggestions to my list although I am not to the point where I can bear to think about more than $150 for a pen and even THAT is super optimistic for me.

TWSBI Micarta
Namiki Falcon
Pilot Prera
Monteverde Invincia
Pilot Custom 74

KrazyIvan
November 14th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I know exactly where you are coming from. This from a person that once used to write with Uniball Signo .18 mm gel pens. :) You will eventually look for the perfect 1.1 mm stub. You can't resist the power of the dark side. :D

FP_GaF
November 14th, 2012, 10:32 PM
TWSBI Micarta
Namiki Falcon
Pilot Prera
Monteverde Invincia
Pilot Custom 74

I will try to make this short (each one of these pens would deserve at least a paragraph) and talk only nibs.

The Micarta has a reputation for being dry out of the box and I found also it needed some fine tuning of the tines but it's a great fun pen.

I love the Prera and it works perfectly ootb and their Asian nibs are truly EF. The Prera is relatively small, though.

The Falcon is a great pen but I thought it's over your price limit.

I have no experience with the other two pens on your list so can't comment.

My suggestion from your list would be (and keep in mind that I didn't comment on two out of five pens) go for the Prera. Outstanding pen for a very good price.

One more thing. I believe the Pilot 78G shares feed and nib with the Prera but is significantly less expensive (Lamy Safari territory). Speaking of which, how about a Safari?

gwgtaylor
November 14th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Best bet would be platinum ultra extra fine on a 3778 century or a sailor saibi togi on a 1911. These two will likely be your finest production nibs. They'll do what you need for sure.

KrazyIvan
November 15th, 2012, 08:33 AM
I agree on the Micarta comments. My TWSBI Micarta in fine was very dry to the point of not writing until I tuned it. Unless you can do that yourself, expect to send it out to someone or purchase pre-tuned by someone else.

MrClockWork
November 15th, 2012, 08:44 AM
My suggestion from your list would be (and keep in mind that I didn't comment on two out of five pens) go for the Prera. Outstanding pen for a very good price.

One more thing. I believe the Pilot 78G shares feed and nib with the Prera but is significantly less expensive (Lamy Safari territory). Speaking of which, how about a Safari?

I really am enjoying my 78G but I would like to dabble in a few other pens to see if I can find "the one" so I might pass on the prera unless my 78G ends up being my favorite and I want a nicer feel body.

I have a Safari EF but I haven't gotten to use it much. The paper at my work is incredibly awful and I just transitioned from a Moleskine to a Rhodia as of last night) and have yet to sit down for a solid journal session. My Safari is super smooth and I have to agree that it is an incredible performer for the money.

How about the TWSBI Diamond 540? Any experience with that in EF?

KrazyIvan
November 15th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I have the TWSBI Diamond 540 and 530 but I think the EF nib I have is from the 530 originally. I also have the F, B and 1.1 nib units. That will not help since the EF is the older Schmidt nib unit which has long since been discontinued. I don't know how the current line performs but it may be similar to the Micarta nib. It did write a fine line but maybe not like what you are expecting. I rarely use that nib these days.

jtballistic
November 16th, 2012, 03:05 AM
My Sailor 1911 Large - Fine is incredible. I have used it for modifying preliminary sketch plans for the buildings and floor plans I am designing. It is much faster and more efficient to hand draw changes than to continually make changes through AutoCAD.

Unfortunately it is over the $50 threshold.

Just be a little careful choosing your ink, I've had some good luck with Lamy Black or Noodler's Black. The others are a little too wet and bleed through the paper in your Moleskine.

MrClockWork
November 16th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Unfortunately it is over the $50 threshold.

I'm up for talking about a pen up to $150 even though I might only be able to afford a $50 pen right now. I think I could build up the nerve to save $150 for the right pen so I think the Falcon, Custom 74 and Sailor 1911 can still be in the running if bought in the right place :)

gwgtaylor
November 19th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Look at this Platinum 3778 with ultra extra fine steel nib. Well in your price range and I'm pretty sure this will be the finest needlepoint you'll find in this price range.

Look at this on eBay:

PLATINUM #3776 PTB-5000B Fountain Pen Black UEF nib Needle Point Brand New Sale

http://bit.ly/T7hLbf

gwgtaylor
November 19th, 2012, 11:06 AM
That was a terrible sentence. Need more coffee.

JemC
November 22nd, 2012, 06:25 AM
I picked up the 3776 gold nib UEF a while back and have barely been able to use it. Too dry, ridiculously thin line, and I'd swear there's no tipping. The angle of the "foot" is really awkward, requiring 15 degree positioning to not feel like I'm murdering the paper.

I'm determined to keep trying because of the price I paid for it (despite being far less than retail), but I'm not sure I could ever recommend it.

I think Japanese EF is far enough, unless you're doing featherlight detailing or such.