PDA

View Full Version : Fishing rod blank pen???

Sagebrush64
November 24th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Hello all,

First, let me say I am really in awe of the beautiful work that you guys are gracious enough to display here....WOW!!!

So, I work for a mfg. company that makes fishing rods....anyone here who fly fishes will recognize the name.
Every so often, the company makes pens (like the one the bottom of the picture). Since I love pens, I've been dreaming of having one of these pens with something....aaahhhmmmm....a bit classier and of better quality than a bic insert!!

I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas. I was thinking a fountain pen would probably not work since you would need a cap, so maybe something like a G2 insert or comperable. I'm just not sure how to make something like that work.

Best regards,
James

Bogon07
November 25th, 2015, 07:57 PM
You could make a capped pen by cutting the rod and have a slightly smaller diameter tube to fit inside both the barrel and cap. That way you could probably achieve a friction fit or if you have access to a machine shop cut some threads into the inner tube and outer rod parts.

JackdeSpadas
November 27th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Neat gift idea for diehard fishermen and women!

There are a number of Kickstarter projects that have produced CNC-milled aluminum pens, typically using G2 refills. They are much beefier than these, obviously, but milling a piece to fit the refill to the rod should be a similar process. That might also allow you to make a capped pen, much like Bogon07 mentioned.

A more difficult challenge to converting to FP is the ink supply itself. Aluminum rods will react badly with most FP inks, so the interior would have to be lined with something inert like acrylic. At that point you are running out of capacity, as well as room for attaching the nib and feed. Maybe someone with more pen construction knowledge would have an answer, but I think your thought of going with the G2 instead is pretty sound.

I hope you find a way to make this work. Best of luck!