PDA

View Full Version : Buying from foreign-local markets

Empty_of_Clouds
November 25th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Hey guys and gals, does anyone know if it is permissable to have a private third party in another country purchase and send an item overseas, when the item is not available for international sale normally?

Sorry, not sure exactly how to word this. Basically there is something I would like to buy. The website says it's not for international sale. If I ask a local to buy it then they are satisfying that condition. If they then sell it to me and ship it overseas, that is now a secondary market, yes? I mean, the original non-international sale rule does not apply to private individuals, right?

carlos.q
November 25th, 2015, 05:52 PM
If you are referring to pens and inks I would assume there will be no problems.

However if you pretend to buy plutonium or military grade high speed computers you can be sure some secret government agents will make you disappear before you can finish your

jar
November 25th, 2015, 06:00 PM
Understand that in most cases warranty applies to the original purchaser and may not be valid if resold. Also many warranties are region specific.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 25th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Hahahaha, no. :spy:

The item is a branded thing, so I was concerned about licencing laws. However, I believe those laws only apply to a registered retailer. On the other hand I could be wrong. Seeking guidance.

Bogon07
November 25th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Empty of Clouds - does NewZealand Post offer a service like Singapore Post did/does where they have for example a delivery address set up in the US to collect the items and then bulk ship items back to Singapore for customer delivery?

Understand that in most cases warranty applies to the original purchaser and may not be valid if resold. Also many warranties are region specific.
What happens if you live in country A where the product may be "validly" purchased and later move to country B where the product isn't ?
I suppose you would have to send it back to the country of purchase for warranty activities.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 25th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Okay, just to be clear. This has nothing to do with warranty issues. I have no interest in any warranty and the item doesn't really need one anyway.

The item is sold with a note that says "Due to licencing restrictions, this item is only available for shipping in Japan". Does this mean that someone who has bought one in Japan cannot sell internationally?

I really, really, don't want to do anything naughty.

jar
November 25th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Empty of Clouds - does NewZealand Post offer a service like Singapore Post did/does where they have for example a delivery address set up in the US to collect the items and then bulk ship items back to Singapore for customer delivery?

What happens if you live in country A where the product may be "validly" purchased and later move to country B where the product isn't ?
I suppose you would have to send it back to the country of purchase for warranty activities.

It varies depending on local policies. For some cases all is well, and in others all is not well and I've never found any way to tell how things will play out.

Bogon07
November 25th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Okay, just to be clear. This has nothing to do with warranty issues. I have no interest in any warranty and the item doesn't really need one anyway.

The item is sold with a note that says "Due to licencing restrictions, this item is only available for shipping in Japan". Does this mean that someone who has bought one in Japan cannot sell internationally?

I really, really, don't want to do anything naughty.

"licencing restrictions" usually indicates the retailer/importer/manufacturer only has a licence to sell or distribute in that country.
Could be the item is available outside Japan, maybe a slightly version from other retailer/importer/manufacturers in those countries.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 25th, 2015, 08:00 PM
No, the item is not available outside of Japan from any other retailer/importer/manufacturer.

Seems like something of a grey area.

Miss Fountain Pen
November 26th, 2015, 12:45 AM
If it's stationary, clothes, shoes, etc., then I really wouldn't worry about it. If it's electronics, then it's possible it won't work in NZ (you'd have to check surge and socket compatibility). If it's a DVD, there are zones outside of which the DVD won't work. If it's a biological item (seeds, for example), then you could get into trouble with your own country's authorities. Also, food can be an issue (it depends on NZ's regulations).

Chrissy
November 26th, 2015, 02:01 AM
If t's not electrical or Country specific in some other way, and you're confident that your Country will let it in, then I assume all will be OK

Wile E Coyote
November 26th, 2015, 05:55 AM
Depending on what it is, it could be something as simple as the instructions are only written in Japanese.

KBeezie
November 26th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Depending on what it is, it could be something as simple as the instructions are only written in Japanese.

As opposed to an electronic device that would violate FCC protocols here.

Wile E Coyote
November 26th, 2015, 05:44 PM

I don't think that would violate the export regulations of the country of origin and may not even prohibit import into the US (in the case of the FCC). The FCC could restrict it's use in the US.

But I'm not a lawyer nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night, though I did stay in a Homewood Suites the previous night.

KBeezie
November 26th, 2015, 07:15 PM

I don't think that would violate the export regulations of the country of origin and may not even prohibit import into the US (in the case of the FCC). The FCC could restrict it's use in the US.

But I'm not a lawyer nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night, though I did stay in a Homewood Suites the previous night.

:P Yea I'm just throwing it out there. But with a Pen... I doubt there are any issues with having a friend buy it and ship it, Also if from Japan, there are actual services in Japan to act as a mail forwarder for this purpose.

Empty_of_Clouds
November 26th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Who said anything about pens? :noidea:

KBeezie
November 26th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Who said anything about pens? :noidea:

Was Presumed based on being in "Pens in General" Forums rather than "Off Topic" Section.