PDA

View Full Version : Retro 51 Refills

tandaina
November 28th, 2015, 04:14 PM
WARNING: Non fountain pen post. This is a question about gel ink refills!

I have resisted a Retro 51 for a long, long time. But I finally caved when Vanness Pens announced they had the new Twinkle version in stock and ready to ship. It's GORGEOUS. But the standard refill (rollerball) is WAY too bold and feathers like a banshee even on paper my fountain pens behave on. I use rollerballs/gel pens in my daily planner because I need extra fine lines that dry basically instantly and pens that I don't worry about getting knocked about.

I am not at all worried about the 51 getting knocked about but the refill was NOT gonna work. So I ordered the "Monteverde "Parker Style" Gel Ballpoint Refill" in fine. I'm not thrilled about it being a ballpoint refill (prefer gel rollerball) and it's still not fine enough. :( I'll use the things because they were $5/each but not a great long term solution.

The refills I really LOVE are by Pilot. They're gel, rollerball, and EXTRA fine at just .4mm (http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-LHSRF-8C-Gel-Pen-Refill-0.4-mm-Black/pd/2704). But they are too short for the 51 (I could create shoulders for the spring with tape but I'm not sure how to fix the too short issue.

Anyone know of a similar refill that fits the Retro 51? I've done a lot of googling and I'm having no luck. I'd really like:
1. Extra Fine
2. Rollerball gel
3. Fits without modification, or a way to modify my favorite refills.

Is the Monteverde (I do love I can get actual pretty colors using Monteverde refills) the finest I can get in this style? Am I stuck with ballpoint refills? (I really detest ballpoint though the gel ink does help.)

stonerman33
November 28th, 2015, 08:28 PM

I have resisted a Retro 51 for a long, long time. But I finally caved when Vanness Pens announced they had the new Twinkle version in stock and ready to ship. It's GORGEOUS. But the standard refill (rollerball) is WAY too bold and feathers like a banshee even on paper my fountain pens behave on. I use rollerballs/gel pens in my daily planner because I need extra fine lines that dry basically instantly and pens that I don't worry about getting knocked about.

I am not at all worried about the 51 getting knocked about but the refill was NOT gonna work. So I ordered the "Monteverde "Parker Style" Gel Ballpoint Refill" in fine. I'm not thrilled about it being a ballpoint refill (prefer gel rollerball) and it's still not fine enough. :( I'll use the things because they were $5/each but not a great long term solution.

The refills I really LOVE are by Pilot. They're gel, rollerball, and EXTRA fine at just .4mm (http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-LHSRF-8C-Gel-Pen-Refill-0.4-mm-Black/pd/2704). But they are too short for the 51 (I could create shoulders for the spring with tape but I'm not sure how to fix the too short issue.

Anyone know of a similar refill that fits the Retro 51? I've done a lot of googling and I'm having no luck. I'd really like:
1. Extra Fine
2. Rollerball gel

Is the Monteverde (I do love I can get actual pretty colors using Monteverde refills) the finest I can get in this style? Am I stuck with ballpoint refills? (I really detest ballpoint though the gel ink does help.)

So the refill that comes in the pen is the Schmidt 8127 at .7mm. They also make a 8126, which advertises at .6mm, but I find it to be significantly better than the 8127 stock refill. It's my rollerball refill of choice. If you google around, you should be able to find some comparison photos, otherwise I will post some up when I have both within arms reach in an hour or two.

tandaina
November 28th, 2015, 09:12 PM
That's definitely still bigger than the Monteverde fine refills which I'd put at .6mm or .5mm. Really hoping for the .4.

I did manage to jury rig my Pilot refills in a way that they work (have to tape a piece of plastic to the back to make it long enough). I need to try that and see if it'll stay stable.

Anne
January 2nd, 2016, 12:00 AM

1. Extra Fine
2. Rollerball gel

Tandaina,
I have the Retro 51 Tornado ( Lincoln model ), and I bought it a while ago so I don't know if it is the same model or size that you have.
From information that I listed when I got the pen, it should fit:
Delta Capless refill D 8900 0.7
Monteverde Ceramic Gel Fine P42 2A (( This one in Blue Black is my favorite ))
Retro 51 REF 71 Easy Flow 9000
Retro 51 REF 5P Capless Rollerball refill

I have indicated on my sheet of paper that it needs the spring from the Retro Pen to fit these. I hope that is helpful.