PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Metropolitan- Handwritten Review

writingrav
November 6th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/07/azu3arus.jpg

fountainpenkid
November 6th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Could you take a straight on shot so that I could read the writing? Thanks!

writingrav
November 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Could you take a straight on shot so that I could read the writing? Thanks!

Better?

fountainpenkid
November 6th, 2012, 09:50 AM
much better. nice review! You are certainly right about the pen's styling!

Saintpaulia
November 7th, 2012, 09:59 PM
When you say it is aerometric, do you mean that it has a sac that does not detach from the section?

Here's how Goulet describes it: "Filling Mechanism:
Cartridge/converter (CON-20 or CON-50)"

Zhivago
November 7th, 2012, 11:02 PM
It does detach because you can replace it with the Pilot piston converter, as the Goulet's offer.

writingrav
November 8th, 2012, 04:43 AM
It does detach because you can replace it with the Pilot piston converter, as the Goulet's offer.

Correct, it is a squeeze converter that looks like an aerometric but should not be called that as such.

KrazyIvan
November 8th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Con20 comes with it or pay more for the Con50. Nice little squeeze converter/filler and is the same as the one that came with my 78G and Lucina.

Saintpaulia
November 10th, 2012, 05:35 PM
How does the Metro feel in the hand with that rather abrupt step down?

writingrav
November 10th, 2012, 06:26 PM
How does the Metro feel in the hand with that rather abrupt step down?

Surprisingly comfortable. I'm telling you this pen is amazing and every time I think it cost $15, I marvel. I suppose the next competitor in this range is going to be the Twsbi " economy " model. I await it anxiously.

Saintpaulia
November 10th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Surprisingly comfortable. I'm telling you this pen is amazing and every time I think it cost $15, I marvel. I suppose the next competitor in this range is going to be the Twsbi " economy " model. I await it anxiously.

You have my attention! Would it be possible for you, at your convenience of course, to measure the grip section's diameter in mm.? This diameter question is crucial to my ability to comfortably write with such a pen. Furthermore, I can't help but compare with pen with its apparent forebear, the Pilot 78G. That pen is my mainstay pen, always at hand. And yet even it is too thick, by just a little bit. But that little bit does make a difference.

writingrav
November 11th, 2012, 10:22 AM
You have my attention! Would it be possible for you, at your convenience of course, to measure the grip section's diameter in mm.? This diameter question is crucial to my ability to comfortably write with such a pen. Furthermore, I can't help but compare with pen with its apparent forebear, the Pilot 78G. That pen is my mainstay pen, always at hand. And yet even it is too thick, by just a little bit. But that little bit does make a difference.

I'm not very good at this, but how does 5mm sound?

Saintpaulia
November 11th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I'm not very good at this, but how does 5mm sound?

It sounds extremely wrong! LOL! My narrowest pen is 8.5 mm. (i.e. Pilot Cavalier, Sheaffer Student, Parker Jotter, et al.).
You'll need calipers or else a ruler in mm. If the latter place the grip section on the ruler with one side on the 0 and the other should be between 8, 9 or 10 mm. You'd be eye-balling it from directly above. Thanks for trying!

writingrav
November 11th, 2012, 06:23 PM
It sounds extremely wrong! LOL! My narrowest pen is 8.5 mm. (i.e. Pilot Cavalier, Sheaffer Student, Parker Jotter, et al.).
You'll need calipers or else a ruler in mm. If the latter place the grip section on the ruler with one side on the 0 and the other should be between 8, 9 or 10 mm. You'd be eye-balling it from directly above. Thanks for trying!

Using the ruler method you recommended I get 8mm.

Saintpaulia
November 11th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks WG!

JemC
November 12th, 2012, 04:43 PM
The Metropolitan & 78G sections are identical/interchangeable. You can unscrew them from their barrels and swap them. So if you really wanted a silver Metropolitan with a red section and an EF nib from the Penmanship, you can totally make that happen.

Saintpaulia
November 12th, 2012, 10:16 PM
The Metropolitan & 78G sections are identical/interchangeable. You can unscrew them from their barrels and swap them. So if you really wanted a silver Metropolitan with a red section and an EF nib from the Penmanship, you can totally make that happen.
Let's see if I understand well. Do the 78G and the Metro also have the same nib as well as section?

wayne.robinson
November 12th, 2012, 10:17 PM
The 78G has a gold nib.

KrazyIvan
November 12th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Gold? maybe in color.

Saintpaulia
November 12th, 2012, 10:21 PM
The 78G has a gold nib.
Gold in color of course. The 78G does not have a gold alloy nib! Neither would the Metro at its price. So Wayne you are simply talking about color. Therefore, it is fair to say that the nibs are identical in material, shape, etc. as are the sections with their feeds, etc.?

JemC
November 13th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Therefore, it is fair to say that the nibs are identical in material, shape, etc. as are the sections with their feeds, etc.?
Yes.
The 78G and Metropolitan have the exact same nib, feed, and section (other than the color of nib and tip size). I believe this applies to the Knight as well, but I can't verify.
The Plumix, Penmanship, and Prera have the same feed and nib (again, aside from tip size & coloring)

And just to gush on the Metropolitan - it snaps closed very securely, but can still be opened one-handed. It's been in my pants pocket for the last week and I'm really enjoying it.

Saintpaulia
November 13th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Hi Jem, that amazes me. The Plumix, Penmanship (whatever that is), Prera, 78G and Metro all have the same nib, feed and section? I wonder if the Pilot V-Pen also has the same nib and feed. Alot of attention has been devoted to learning how to refill the V-Pen because its nib is so smooth. But if its nib/feed are also the same as these others, then there is no need to go thru all those gyrations.

JemC
November 13th, 2012, 06:43 PM
The V-Pen and Varsity have a different nib and feed, I believe shared with the Petit1

wayne.robinson
November 13th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Whoops. I was thinking about the custom 74, not the 78G.

Saintpaulia
November 14th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Hi Jem, that amazes me. The Plumix, Penmanship (whatever that is), Prera, 78G and Metro all have the same nib, feed and section? I wonder if the Pilot V-Pen also has the same nib and feed. Alot of attention has been devoted to learning how to refill the V-Pen because its nib is so smooth. But if its nib/feed are also the same as these others, then there is no need to go thru all those gyrations.
I just saw a Penmanship on Jetpens website and it looks to be a Plumix. Would that be correct? The two names belong to only one pen by Pilot?

derevaun
November 14th, 2012, 05:37 PM
The Penmanship is a close cousin to the Plumix but not the same. The section-to-barrel threads are different, and the barrel shapes are slightly different as well. The Penmanship has an EF nib, while the Plumix has an italic nib. You're going to need both if you want some real peace of mind :-)

Saintpaulia
November 14th, 2012, 06:09 PM
The Penmanship is a close cousin to the Plumix but not the same. The section-to-barrel threads are different, and the barrel shapes are slightly different as well. The Penmanship has an EF nib, while the Plumix has an italic nib. You're going to need both if you want some real peace of mind :-)
Peace of mind is it? By Jove! I had no idea. And here I thought peace of mind was achieved thru a large balance on my bank account in Zurich.

Sailor Kenshin
November 20th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Might have to give this a look. I have the 78G with the stub nib, a Plumix, and the Penmanship. The Penmanship is a NEEDLE.

The 78G too fat for you? Interesting; it borders on being too thin for me.

Saintpaulia
November 20th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Might have to give this a look. I have the 78G with the stub nib, a Plumix, and the Penmanship. The Penmanship is a NEEDLE.

The 78G too fat for you? Interesting; it borders on being too thin for me.

Hey there Sailor! got your nice postcard, thanks. As for the 78G, I actually bought my second one last night, a Broad/Stub from Todd at isellpens - under $13.00. How do you find your 78G stub? Did it need any smoothing on the edges, or anything?

Cheers, Breck

markt
November 20th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I just received a silver Metropolitan today. Ordered it from Staples with free shipping and received it in one day. $10.24 plus tax. Surely they are taking a loss on this kind of deal. Overall, nice pen for the price. Nib is pretty smooth and dryish. Had to tweak it a little. Works better unposted, for me anyhow. Balance and weight are good. I like the finish of the metal body and cap. Clip is kind of cheapish. The nib and section are the same as a 78G.

Sailor Kenshin
November 21st, 2012, 09:02 AM
Hey there Sailor! got your nice postcard, thanks. As for the 78G, I actually bought my second one last night, a Broad/Stub from Todd at isellpens - under $13.00. How do you find your 78G stub? Did it need any smoothing on the edges, or anything?

Cheers, Breck

No, no smoothing needed at all... But like markt said, I find Pilots to be dry writers, needing either a dip to get started, or a wet ink. Apart from that their lower-end pens are a great value. Oh, I have a Prera, too. Same thing. Great-looking pen, but dry.

writingrav
November 21st, 2012, 10:05 AM
No, no smoothing needed at all... But like markt said, I find Pilots to be dry writers, needing either a dip to get started, or a wet ink. Apart from that their lower-end pens are a great value. Oh, I have a Prera, too. Same thing. Great-looking pen, but dry.

Funny, I have not had that experience. Yes, all things considered I'd call it on the dry side. But I've certainly never had to dip either the Prera or the Metropolitan or had a hard start.

Saintpaulia
November 24th, 2012, 07:32 PM
OK Sailor, I got my 78G in broad/stub from isellpens yesterday and since then (this is the evening of the day after) I have been struggling to get it to write in some mode other than incredibly D-R-Y! I think this broad may actually be drier than my medium 78G was before I tinkered with it. The medium writes OK now because I took a .005 inch brass shim to the feed's groove. It is now groovy. :)

I tried this same thing with the broad 78G, thinking that such would fix it like it did the medium. It did not! Then I took the feed and soaked it in J.B.'s for a few hours, thinking that would do it. It did not! Then I thought, "Well maybe it is the ink." So I replaced the J. Herbin Larmes de Cassis with Waterman's Florida Blue, which always works in dry pens. Still no go.

What does it take to get one of these 78Gs to flow? And by 78G I mean this broad/stub. I fixed my medium. Why should this 78G be that much different? And furthermore, if in fact the Metropolitan's nib and feed are the same as the 78G's then I don't want a Metro!

Anyway, any ideas on the 78G problem? Thanks!

Sailor Kenshin
November 25th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I like the line produced by my 78g stub, but I always have to dip-start. Haven't used it in a while, am not advanced enough to hack a feed or anything like that, so I don't recall if it gets better as I write.

Maybe someone else has an idea. -_-

writingrav
November 25th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Since this thread has long been about the Pilot 78g might I respectfully suggest starting a new thread?

Saintpaulia
November 25th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Since this thread has long been about the Pilot 78g might I respectfully suggest starting a new thread?

My sentiments exactly. I'll set it up. I have some new info on my 78G broad for it. I am going to move it to general pens category. Breck