PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc M by Marc Newson

inklord
December 1st, 2015, 05:19 PM
Any thoughts on the new Montblanc M designed by Marc Newson (now working for Apple)?
To me it seems somewhat in line with the Pelikan 'Ductus' and Lamy 'Imporium'. ( http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/writing-instruments/montblanc-m/113618-montblanc-m-fountain-pen.html ) - is this where German pens are headed?

Scooby921
December 2nd, 2015, 12:35 PM
I think it's stupid. It's precisely what I dislike about Lamy. The shape is terrible. I hope they sell a ton of them though and make enough profit that they can afford to knock $1000 off the price of the Blue Hour as I'm lusting after one of those.

inklord
December 2nd, 2015, 03:42 PM
I think it's stupid. It's precisely what I dislike about Lamy. The shape is terrible. I hope they sell a ton of them though and make enough profit that they can afford to knock $1000 off the price of the Blue Hour as I'm lusting after one of those.
:) I didn't dare to be so blunt, but yeah, where's the function behind this form? I do like alternative nib shapes, though. It's also another 'cartridge only' pen...

fountainpenkid
December 2nd, 2015, 08:10 PM
It's not just stupid, it's really stupid--the dry-out-in-a-day™ magnetic cap system especially.

erpe
December 2nd, 2015, 10:31 PM
The comments don't surprise me really. I remember Newson designing a camera for Pentax which looked really cool and was technically and specwise ahead of almost everything in the day, in its class at least, but unfortunately completely unusable for lack of ergonomics. Designed for design, not actual use. This pen seems to suffer the same problem although I must admit that I do like the bicolor nib.

stub
December 3rd, 2015, 01:39 AM
Sort of looks like the Montblanc Safari. The nib and section look okay. I'd maybe buy one if they were priced what they are worth. The same as, say, the Cross Century. heh.

top pen
December 3rd, 2015, 01:55 AM
It's not my cuppa tea to be honest. From what I understand it's Montblanc's experiment to inspire the next generation of customers. There was quite an interesting article titled "Mont Blanc has a Problem (http://www.peneconomics.com/blog/2015/11/20/montblanc-has-a-problem)" by the pen economics chap. The trouble I have with it is the Diplomat Balance (https://www.thepencompany.com/image/4009746003777_F-550.jpg) achieves the same look far more elegantly for a fraction of the cost.

jar
December 3rd, 2015, 07:05 AM
I find all of Marc Newsome's designs laughable and his furniture seems to indicate that he agrees with me completely since it's an obvious Homage to a well known Italian gesture. The "M" is just another Starwalker.

penwash
December 3rd, 2015, 09:00 AM
I like the grey (rhodium ?) threaded metal section, but the rest of the design is ... so-so.

Cartridge? Thumbs down.

john
January 15th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Sorry, it's just an expensive Lamy Safari substitue. A poor design from Mont Blanc.

Sbarak
April 22nd, 2016, 09:53 AM
Sorry, it's just an expensive Lamy Safari substitue. A poor design from Mont Blanc.

Anyone who held the M and not just saw the picture can never compare it to the Lamy. The M is a beautifully designed pen which looks and feels an expensive pen.You have to hold it and write with it for some time and then you understand that it is a real quality Montblanc pen.

gordyt
April 22nd, 2016, 03:39 PM
Actually I have to agree with Sbarak. I was in Dromgoole's several months ago. I asked if they had any M's in stock. I wanted to try one, fully expecting not to like it nearly as much as my other MB's. As it turns it, I liked it very much and bought one (with fine nib) on the spot after I found out that Monteverde converters work just fine. I've not had any issues with with it drying out if I don't write with it for several days.

It is a definite departure from a traditional MB design and I fully appreciate that not everyone will like it. Had I not tested one first there is no way I would have purchased one.

--gordon

FredRydr
April 30th, 2016, 03:41 AM
There was quite an interesting article titled "Mont Blanc has a Problem (http://www.peneconomics.com/blog/2015/11/20/montblanc-has-a-problem)" by the pen economics chap.
I just discovered your post and it's link. Thank you very much!

Fred

john
May 17th, 2016, 08:32 PM

Anyone who held the M and not just saw the picture can never compare it to the Lamy. The M is a beautifully designed pen which looks and feels an expensive pen.You have to hold it and write with it for some time and then you understand that it is a real quality Montblanc pen.

I know what is a Mont Blanc, I have 149 and 146. This Marc Newson design is a joke to bare the name of Mont Blanc.

RocketRyan
November 14th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I kinda want one.

pengeezer
December 24th, 2019, 08:02 PM
I have seen several reviews on the pen.....they mostly say the same thing---they either like it or hate it,the section and the nib(according to one) look like a spark plug....humorous,but I can see it. I also agree that it looks like a rounded Lamy Safari(the clip doesn't help), but I do like the design---the industrial look ,IMHO,is great. If one has small hands as I do,holding the pen at the section isn't a problem. My only complaint is that the fountain pen doesn't allow the cap to be posted---the other versions have a magnet to hold the cap. The pen also isn't heavy as some previous MB's have been. I think if MB made them in the colors they had in the 50's(red,green,grey and dark blue) they might be a little more appealing. There is a wee political angle that could be raised, but I'll leave that one alone.

John

pengeezer
December 24th, 2019, 08:11 PM
I like it myself.... just not happy that the cap can't be posted. Would look even better if they made them in the colors they had in the 50's---red,green,gey and dark blue. I forsee getting one in the near future.
John

guyy
December 24th, 2019, 09:47 PM
I don’t like the section step. Otherwise it’s OK.

Chuck Naill
December 25th, 2019, 04:28 AM
I'd never pay that much for a pen, but it's the shape I've come to prefer. Yeah, I had one of those huge MB back in the '90's. It was nice pocket jewelry. ;)

Stands on Feet
December 25th, 2019, 05:05 AM
"Please note this product contains magnets. Before using it, if you have any doubt about its safety, please consult your health care professional."

Did anybody else find that strange and funny?

pengeezer
December 25th, 2019, 07:40 AM
Your above comment reminded me of something the salesman said....the reason the fountain pen doesn't have a magnet in the back end is because the magnet would interfere with the flow of ink,that inks have metal particles in them....any truth there?

John

azkid
December 25th, 2019, 10:37 AM
Your above comment reminded me of something the salesman said....the reason the fountain pen doesn't have a magnet in the back end is because the magnet would interfere with the flow of ink,that inks have metal particles in them....any truth there?

JohnIron gall ink comes to mind, being made with iron salts. Chemistry is *so* not my thing, so I can't make heads or tails of much of the info out there or whether any of it is magnetic.

https://irongallink.org/igi_indexedde.html

Chuck Naill
December 25th, 2019, 10:37 AM
"Please note this product contains magnets. Before using it, if you have any doubt about its safety, please consult your health care professional."

Did anybody else find that strange and funny?

No, not if you have a pace maker....LOL!!!

pengeezer
December 25th, 2019, 03:15 PM
I knew about iron gall ink having metal particulates in it,but I wasn't aware of any other inks having metal in them.....

John

FredRydr
December 25th, 2019, 05:08 PM
I knew about iron gall ink having metal particulates in it,but I wasn't aware of any other inks having metal in them.....

I think iron gall ink has metal in it like an iron vitamin capsule has metal in it.

Chrissy
December 26th, 2019, 01:25 AM
John

Iron Gall ink contains iron salts and tannic acid from vegetable sources.

pengeezer
December 26th, 2019, 09:40 AM
So my question still stands....do any othe inks we use---Noodler"s,Pelikan,MB,Waterman's,et al---have any sort of metal particulates that would ,cause ink flow problems if a magnet was placed on the back end to put the cap in place?

John

Stands on Feet
December 26th, 2019, 10:13 AM
None of our inks contain metal particulates that will be attracted to a magnet. Particulates are a bad thing to have in fountain pen inks. The iron in iron gall inks is part of an organic salt that is dissolved in the ink. Individual ions, not particles, and those won't be attracted to a magnet. That salesman didn't know what he/she was talking about.

pengeezer
December 26th, 2019, 03:42 PM
That's what I figured.

John

pengeezer
December 26th, 2019, 07:59 PM
So if a poll was taken,could we guess that it would be 50/50....half would like it and half would hate it?

John

FredRydr
December 26th, 2019, 08:06 PM
So if a poll was taken,could we guess that it would be 50/50....half would like it and half would hate it?

John

Put me down for: I like iron.

As for the "M"...I saw it and didn't want it.