PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Pen Show 2016

Roger W.
December 6th, 2015, 11:49 AM
There are 144 days until the start of the Chicago Pen Show. We are planning a lot of new stuff. First, if you haven't heard, we have a lovely new hotel, The Marriott Northwest in Hoffman Estates. If you've ever been to the Sears Center it is right there - Interstate 90 and Highway 59. What the hotel offers is FREE PARKING! We don't need no stinking passes! The ballroom holds 121 tables with 10 more in the foyer and 23 in the sunken atrium immediately across from the ballroom - this space I am particularly excited about. If you are flying in don't worry we are coordinating with the associated third party carrier to get you to and from the hotel. Most of the details are on the website - www.chicagopenshow.com.

Spend all four days at the show! We are kicking off Thursday night with Lou Malnati's pizza! Friday will be the auction followed by dessert. Saturday and Sunday are both public days with just $5 to enter.

Follow us on twitter - chicagopenshow

102 tables are spoken for already so I anticipate a packed house.

Roger Wooten
Chicago Pen Show
Business Manager

TerraNoir
December 7th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Pretty stoked about the show already! Can't wait to see everyone there!

dannzeman
December 15th, 2015, 07:34 AM
I'll definitely be attending this one! Really looking forward to it!

Laura N
December 15th, 2015, 08:14 AM
I'll be working behind the scenes to make sure Lou's thin-crust pizza is on the menu, too. :)

Terie_Benjamin
January 2nd, 2016, 10:22 AM
So excited I will definetly be there. I've never been to a pen show. Any tips ?

Jon Szanto
January 2nd, 2016, 10:48 AM

There is precisely nothing better than a pen show! As for tips, I would start with this 4-part article (http://www.richardspens.com/ref/shows/firstshow.htm), by noted pen person Richard Binder, on attending your first show. It will answer an awful lot of your questions, and give you some ideas of other things to ask.

Terie_Benjamin
January 2nd, 2016, 11:08 AM

There is precisely nothing better than a pen show! As for tips, I would start with this 4-part article (http://www.richardspens.com/ref/shows/firstshow.htm), by noted pen person Richard Binder, on attending your first show. It will answer an awful lot of your questions, and give you some ideas of other things to ask.
Thank you so much! To be among people who are like me. [emoji6]

Jon Szanto
January 2nd, 2016, 11:13 AM
Thank you so much! To be among people who are like me. [emoji6]

Well, yes, like you, but far, far, far, far, far worse. These people are nuts. You'll see. :)

Terie_Benjamin
January 2nd, 2016, 11:51 AM
But at least they won't think I'm crazy lol

Jon Szanto
January 2nd, 2016, 11:57 AM

Absolutely - they'll make it worse! You'll have a great time, and there should be plenty of chatter here on the forum before the show. Roger Wooten is a great host and great pen guy, and this show pulls in a lot of very wonderful pen vendors and gurus. You're lucky to have access to one of the best pen shows, so max out on it.

Terie_Benjamin
January 2nd, 2016, 02:07 PM
I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread. The show is only about 45 minutes from me. It's actually right next to my old job.
I've already warned my husband to start saving now.

SeminarianMike
January 2nd, 2016, 02:09 PM
I wish I could go! Seminary needs to give furrows for pen shows

Terie_Benjamin
January 2nd, 2016, 02:11 PM
Are you too far away?

fqgouvea
January 2nd, 2016, 02:13 PM
I'm thinking of going. My son lives in Chicago, and it would be a chance to see him and his family. Need to start saving up now... It will be my first pen show as well.

How early should one register for these things?

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

Terie_Benjamin
January 2nd, 2016, 02:24 PM

Absolutely - they'll make it worse! You'll have a great time, and there should be plenty of chatter here on the forum before the show. Roger Wooten is a great host and great pen guy, and this show pulls in a lot of very wonderful pen vendors and gurus. You're lucky to have access to one of the best pen shows, so max out on it.

Believe it or not Roger lives one town from me. What a small world

Roger W.
January 3rd, 2016, 01:31 AM
Terie;

Nobody lives near me - really? We are working on a show that we would really want to go to. Now that we are in teh right year I'm freaking out that I don't have time to get everything done.

Fernando;

Registering early helps me know there is demand but, anytime you get the check to me - like a week before - is fine. I've already got 3 and 4 day registrations which is great!

Roger W.

Terie_Benjamin
January 3rd, 2016, 05:17 AM
Terie;

Nobody lives near me - really? We are working on a show that we would really want to go to. Now that we are in teh right year I'm freaking out that I don't have time to get everything done.

Fernando;

Registering early helps me know there is demand but, anytime you get the check to me - like a week before - is fine. I've already got 3 and 4 day registrations which is great!

Roger W.

You are in Garden Prarie correct?

Roger W.
January 3rd, 2016, 11:20 AM
Terie,

Yes, I'm in the huge metrop of Garden Prairie.

Roger W.

Terie_Benjamin
January 3rd, 2016, 11:37 AM
Roger,

Howdy neighbor from Belvidere.

Roger W.
January 3rd, 2016, 01:36 PM
Terie;

Well hoping on to 90 to go to the show in Hoffman Estates will be a joy for you. With that and the free parking you're set. I'll be staying at the hotel what with running it and all it is good to be close. I hope you can make it in all four days. Sometime you should go to the pen club meeting - I could even pick you up.

Roger W.

Terie_Benjamin
January 3rd, 2016, 05:11 PM
Terie;

Well hoping on to 90 to go to the show in Hoffman Estates will be a joy for you. With that and the free parking you're set. I'll be staying at the hotel what with running it and all it is good to be close. I hope you can make it in all four days. Sometime you should go to the pen club meeting - I could even pick you up.

Roger W.
Sorry to hijack your thread. Where and when are your meetings? I'd love to go

Roger W.
January 3rd, 2016, 11:15 PM
We announce them all the time - 3rd Sunday 2 PM pretty much every month - currently in Hillside. We have about 12-15 regulars now.

Roger W.

Backathome
January 12th, 2016, 03:39 PM
I just found this group after hearing about the Chicago Pen Show on the latest Pen Addict podcast. I was very happy to hear it will be so convenient for me to go there so I can attend my very first pen show. I too live way west of Chicago on the windswept plains outside the city. I'm north of Belvidere and about 7 miles south of Wisconsin.

Roger W.
January 12th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Wow, I have all these pen neighbors! Maybe we should have a Rockford or Belvidere get together. I've always been willing to do the hour to hour and a half for the Chicago club but, I know most people aren't. We had a get together at Old Orchard for a group that wanted to meet more northeast of Hillside and we will probably do this again (Laura?). Finding a place is the hardest part for a group.

Roger W.

Terie_Benjamin
January 13th, 2016, 02:45 AM
How big is the group? I would love a closer meeting.

Roger W.
January 13th, 2016, 08:07 AM
So far there are three of us but, if we put something out there maybe we can find a couple more. Terie, don't know if you caught it but, I can't make the regular club meeting this month so maybe February which would be on the 21st if you are interesting in going to Hillside.

Roger W.

Laura N
January 13th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Wow, I have all these pen neighbors! Maybe we should have a Rockford or Belvidere get together. I've always been willing to do the hour to hour and a half for the Chicago club but, I know most people aren't. We had a get together at Old Orchard for a group that wanted to meet more northeast of Hillside and we will probably do this again (Laura?). Finding a place is the hardest part for a group.

Roger W.

Yes, definitely! That was so fun, and I will dig out my email list or start a new thread for another Old Orchard meetup.

Terie_Benjamin
January 13th, 2016, 07:03 PM
Well if it is on a Sunday and not too big, our tattoo shop is closed. So we could use it

Roger W.
January 13th, 2016, 10:40 PM
Terie;

I would think it would be 6-8 at the largest so if you have a table to sit around that would work. We'll have to see if Sunday works but, that has been historically the best day. I'll start publicizing it and see who all we turn up.

Roger W.

vanness1938
January 15th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Yeaaaa - It will be my first trip to the Chicago show ( along with our sometimes assistant Brad D)

dgator
February 2nd, 2016, 08:36 PM
Hey Roger,
Looking forward to the pen show and meeting up with the rest of the Chicago group!

Roger W.
February 2nd, 2016, 10:43 PM
Glad to here it! We are working hard to put on a great show.

Roger W.

earthdawn
February 2nd, 2016, 10:50 PM
Roger...

Are you contact for the show and exhibitors ?

Roger W.
February 3rd, 2016, 07:29 AM
Yes, I am.

630-272-1019
Roger E. Wooten
Business Manager
Chicago Pen Show

distracted_mom
February 12th, 2016, 07:24 AM
Yeaaaa - It will be my first trip to the Chicago show ( along with our sometimes assistant Brad D)

You guys are killing me. I wasn't going to try to go, but now I really want to! Especially if Vaness1938 is going to be there...I stalk your pen club meetings on Periscope!

Any other down-staters here? I'm really in Central Illinois, but as we from Illinois know, anything that's not Chicagoland is "southern Illinois."

Hawk
February 13th, 2016, 12:18 PM
I'm in 'southern Illinois' but we drink pop up here, not soda (or sodee, as the case may be). BTW, I drink neither.

distracted_mom
February 13th, 2016, 03:03 PM
I drank pop until I moved here. Now I drink soda, but never sodee. ;)

Terie_Benjamin
February 13th, 2016, 03:19 PM
No soda here only pop in northern illinois lol

Roger W.
February 13th, 2016, 08:37 PM
I have lived north for a very long time but, I'm from Mt. Zion/Decatur. My fellow downstaters - you need to come up to the show!

Roger W.

jvlgato
February 14th, 2016, 06:41 AM
I plan to be there on Sunday! First pen show for this newb!

Hawk
February 14th, 2016, 08:45 AM

You mean the pen club. We will probably make it depending on how long Sweetnightingale's meeting lasts in Morton.

distracted_mom
February 14th, 2016, 10:03 AM
I have lived north for a very long time but, I'm from Mt. Zion/Decatur. My fellow downstaters - you need to come up to the show!

Roger W.
Very familiar with that area! I graduated from Millikin in 1996!

jvlgato
February 14th, 2016, 10:41 AM

You mean the pen club. We will probably make it depending on how long Sweetnightingale's meeting lasts in Morton.

Actually, the Pen Show. Sorry for the confusion, I know the recent posts are for the club meetings - I'm referring all the way back to the original post, and title of the thread, which is the Chicago Pen Show.

sweetnightingale
February 14th, 2016, 05:04 PM

Roger W.
Very familiar with that area! I graduated from Millikin in 1996!

Hey, no kidding? I graduated from Millikin in 1995.

sweetnightingale
February 14th, 2016, 05:10 PM
No soda here only pop in northern illinois lol

I drank soda when I lived in Central IL but never sodee, although some around me drank sodee. Now, it's pop since I live north. I don't really drink it though. My beverage of choice is BEER. :D.

distracted_mom
February 14th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Go Big Blue!
(Shannon Sapp, I was a biology/secondary ed major)

sweetnightingale
February 14th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Woot for Big Blue! Sharon Harter, then Hawkinson once Hawk and I tied the knot in 1993. I was a vocal music major. By chance, do you remember a black dog with white and gray markings named Charlie? If so, he was attached to me. :)

Jalalabob
February 16th, 2016, 12:45 PM
What is the exact date of the Chicago Pen Show?

dgator
February 16th, 2016, 02:28 PM
What is the exact date of the Chicago Pen Show?
Here is a link to the schedule... http://www.chicagopenshow.com/schedule.html

southpaw52
February 16th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Is this consider a large show? Making plans to attend.

Roger W.
February 16th, 2016, 11:27 PM
Yes it is a large show, at one time the largest but, I'd say DC is the largest now. Someone just called for a table today - I've a few left but, expect to sell out. The crowd attending should be good too as I keep talking to people that plan to attend this as their first one and many people coming back that haven't been for a few years. I'm grateful that we've had such a positive response.

Roger W.

nlunsford
February 20th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Another newbie question: What is included in the $60 Full Weekend registration that isn't in the $50 3 Day Pass? Is it just one day less? Or is there more going on in the "includes all events"?

jvlgato
February 20th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Yes it is a large show, at one time the largest but, I'd say DC is the largest now. Someone just called for a table today - I've a few left but, expect to sell out. The crowd attending should be good too as I keep talking to people that plan to attend this as their first one and many people coming back that haven't been for a few years. I'm grateful that we've had such a positive response.

Roger W.
Roger, am I safe being able to get in as a walk in on Saturday, or do I need to buy a pass prior to the event?

Roger W.
February 21st, 2016, 11:04 PM
Yes you can walk in on Saturday and pay the $5 at the door - doesn't go up, don't have to buy in advance. Also it is $5 instead of $6 because I don't want to have to bother with so much making change - I had to deal with so many singles last year.

For the $60 you get the full four day immersion! Is that not enough? We never had a 3 day before so I thought I might be giving a break for those that can't make Thursday. So what do you get Thursday? Thursday is a lot of fun as it is fairly casual. We will have a section of the ballroom open for trading and they will be plenty of dealers selling. While the show has always had a pizza party we are upping our game this year to include true Chicago style pizza from Lou Malnati's. The extra $10 goes a bit into the costs of the pizza party and other show costs (I sincerely thank everyone for helping us make this work). A show is not a cheap proposition but, I've always loved the Chicago show and we're going to make it fantastic - something that you want to make all four days. Thanks,

Roger W.

stonerman33
February 22nd, 2016, 12:05 AM
I might make an effort to hit up Chicago this year. It's the closest show to me at about a 4.5hr drive. It may end up being my first show if I can't make it to Atlanta like I'm planning to.

jvlgato
February 22nd, 2016, 03:02 PM
I'd love to make it for the whole weekend! It's not the cost, but the WAF (wife acceptance factor). I have two young kids with many activities. I won't stay married long if I vanish for the weekend for my hobbies, no matter how awesome the activities are! [emoji6]