PDA

View Full Version : Hey all new guy

SeminarianMike
December 6th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Hey all I am Mike Howard from Pittsburgh I am a seminarian for the diocese of Pittsburgh hence the name. I just got into collecting fountain pens and I'm hooked! I really hope to learn from you all. I also enjoy haute horology and have an exstensive watch collection :)

Lady Onogaro
December 6th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Hi, Mike,

It's good to have you with us. What pens do you have?

Hawk
December 6th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Cool, welcome.

jar
December 6th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Anglican or Roman diocese?

nospam666
December 7th, 2015, 12:57 AM
Welcome! I'm a yinzer by birth.

Waltman
December 7th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Hi SeminarianMike......Welcome....Lots of nice and knowledgeable people here...enjoy...Walt

Wahl
December 7th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Hi Mike, :welcome:

writingrav
December 7th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Welcome to the madness from Philadelphia. Indulge!

SeminarianMike
December 7th, 2015, 12:48 PM
@jar I am a Roman Catholic seminarian. Thanks all for the warm welcome

Jeph
December 7th, 2015, 04:07 PM
:welcome:

VertOlive
December 7th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Greetings from the Mom of a wannabe seminarian! What sorts of pens and inks do you favor?

SeminarianMike
December 7th, 2015, 05:19 PM
@Vertolive i really love Montblanc i have a starwalker and a 144 Miesterstuck I am currently hunting for a 149 maybe a 146. I have a couple pens from local makers and a metraverde invincia... I love Pilot Iroshizuko "hope i spelled that right" I also love noodlers and montblanc ink isn't so bad. Please encourage your son! We need priests ;)

Crazyorange
December 8th, 2015, 07:13 AM
Welcome to the forum. Are you coming to the philly show in January?

Frank
December 8th, 2015, 11:02 AM
:welcome: Mike!

penwash
December 8th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Welcome!

Shall we expect excerpts from the writings of St. Thomas Aquinas as your pen writing sample? :)

SeminarianMike
December 9th, 2015, 04:42 PM
@crazyorange I'm going to try what date is it again? And yes @penwash I love me some summa theologica [emoji6] tell me what article u want me to fountain pen it up... I really think Saint Thomas just wrote so much cause he prob had a montblanc 149 with a fine nib!

VertOlive
December 9th, 2015, 07:42 PM
"I really think Saint Thomas just wrote so much cause he prob had a montblanc 149 with a fine nib!"

Looks like it might maybe be a dip pen.....:rolleyes:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f261/sparrowe/aquinas.jpg (http://s49.photobucket.com/user/sparrowe/media/aquinas.jpg.html)

penwash
December 9th, 2015, 10:27 PM
Actually legends said that he didn't actually write all his books by hand, rather he dictated the content of the writing to more than one scribes who put it on the paper.
Why more than one scribes? Because that's how rapid he could create those contents.

@mike any one of the Summa Theologica articles would be very cool. I'm slowly reading through the translation that I can get a hold of.

SeminarianMike
December 10th, 2015, 01:29 PM
@penwash make sure your reading the English Dominican brothers translation... So many bad translations floating around out there [emoji31]... Just wrote a report on his law of grace

penwash
December 11th, 2015, 07:49 AM
@penwash make sure your reading the English Dominican brothers translation... So many bad translations floating around out there [emoji31]... Just wrote a report on his law of grace

@mike: Correct, my translation is the English Dominican one, annotated by Anton C. Pegis (1945 edition).
Now you got me curious, which ones are bad translations? And how did they come to be, you either understand 13th century Latin or you do not, right?

VertOlive
December 11th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Penwash, yes many scholars understand the given text but they differ in how they translate it. This is why our ICEL of 1973 has been retranslated in 2011 to produce an English version closer in meaning to the original text.

MelG
December 13th, 2015, 04:56 PM

@mike: Correct, my translation is the English Dominican one, annotated by Anton C. Pegis (1945 edition).
Now you got me curious, which ones are bad translations? And how did they come to be, you either understand 13th century Latin or you do not, right?

Look at the differences in the Novus Ordo from 4 years ago to today. I still have trouble, at times, with saying, "and with your spirit," instead of, "and also with you." Not to mention the rest of the revised translations that get us closer to the meanings of the original latin.

SeminarianMike
December 14th, 2015, 03:35 AM
Hey Mel, pen and anyone else... I would say any translation that isn't the English Dominican fathers is not to my liking... Being saint Thomas's order they take special care and love in translating it. As for the novos ordo... I love the extraordinary form much better. I do believe the mass pre Vatican 2 made more sense but hey we got what we got! I trust in the Holy Spirit guiding the church. Lol tho that can be tough at time heheh

penwash
December 14th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Penwash, yes many scholars understand the given text but they differ in how they translate it. This is why our ICEL of 1973 has been retranslated in 2011 to produce an English version closer in meaning to the original text.

Look at the differences in the Novus Ordo from 4 years ago to today. I still have trouble, at times, with saying, "and with your spirit," instead of, "and also with you." Not to mention the rest of the revised translations that get us closer to the meanings of the original latin.

Hey Mel, pen and anyone else... I would say any translation that isn't the English Dominican fathers is not to my liking... Being saint Thomas's order they take special care and love in translating it. As for the novos ordo... I love the extraordinary form much better. I do believe the mass pre Vatican 2 made more sense but hey we got what we got! I trust in the Holy Spirit guiding the church. Lol tho that can be tough at time heheh

As a fellow Christian, though not a Catholic, I agree absolutely that the only thing that I can truly rely on in this life is God the Holy Spirit's guidance.
I love reading St. Thomas Aquinas' writings because it is so obvious that pursuing God's characters are his focus.
His writings were recommended to me by my pastor.

SeminarianMike
December 14th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Sounds like you have a solid pastor! I love when Faith's reach outside of the realm of their own denomination. I have happily taken advice from Presbyterian and Lutheran faiths

penwash
December 15th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Sounds like you have a solid pastor! I love when Faith's reach outside of the realm of their own denomination. I have happily taken advice from Presbyterian and Lutheran faiths

Amen. I never belonged to any denominations.
I have come to believe that denominations are important because it often provides the base of our faith (where we grew up, first hearing of the Gospel, family/friend influence, etc.).
But I also firmly entrenched in the fact that at some point in the Spiritual maturity, one should become focused solely on the beauty of the Savior and Lord, and go beyond (or "graduate from") the denominational structure (which incidentally, I think St. Thomas Aquinas is a very good example of).

After all, what denomination do the 12 Apostles + Paul belong to?
All Christians should fly one banner, that of Christ.

SeminarianMike
December 15th, 2015, 05:43 PM
The 12 Apostles mostly set up there own churches, Syrian Christian community, ect ect mostly in secret as Christians were being persecuted and it was outlawed, and by no means am I an expert in patristics. I'm yet to take those courses. I agree with you, but I have to point out the importance communal prayer and the real and literal meaning of the Eucharist. [emoji5] I am very happy you have a strong healthy faith. It's a shame it's absent in most people's lives!

Marsilius
December 28th, 2015, 08:35 PM
Welcome!