PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie out? German made products.

Music and Ink
December 8th, 2015, 04:12 AM
Hello, I just made an account and have a few questions. The first would be, what size nib does a kaweco Classic Sport uses? And are they removable? And the second would be, can anyone help me expand my list of german pens/ inks/ notebooks. I know kaweco, lamy, schäffer for pens. Rohr Und Klingner for ink. And Leuchturm1917 for notebooks. If you can help me with any of these I would be very thankful.

inklord
December 8th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Welcome!
As to the list: Pelikan, Montblanc, Faber-Castell (with its upscale offerings labeled 'Graf von Faber-Castell') should definitely be named for both pens and great inks - but there are more pen manufacturers, such as Diplomat, Staedtler and Lindauer.
De Atramentis is a great German batch manufacturer of FP inks, and just across the border, in Basel, Switzerland, is Abraxas.
Rohrer & Klingner is one of my favorite brands of ink.
Paper is a bit more sketchy, but basically anything made for German school use (Brunnen, Brause, Hahnenmuehle etc) is FP friendly.
JoWo Berliner Schreibfedern and Bock are preeminent makers of nibs in Germany, and supply their products to many pen manufacturers.

Laura N
December 8th, 2015, 09:03 AM
You asked "what size nib" does a Kaweco Classic Sport use. I'm not sure if you mean the physical size of the nib, or the width, but I'll try to answer both.

It's a smaller nib in physical size, closer to the size of a Lamy Safari or Pelikan M200 in terms of dimensions. If you go to this review (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/12/03/kaweco-dia2-dual-pen-review/), on the second page you can see a photo comparing the nibs.

As for nib width, Sport nibs are available in all widths between extra-fine and double broad, and they are standard European nibs in width. You can also get "calligraphy nibs," which are 1.1, 1.5 and I think 1.9 mm stubs. I know that Kaweco Sport nibs are made in Germany, so I would assume they are made by Jowo or Bock.

The review to which I've linked looks at the Dia2, not the Classic Sport. The Dia2 nibs are the exact same size (and width) as Classic Sport nibs, but the Classic Sport nibs are friction fitted in the section. In contrast Kaweco's higher-end nibs, found on the AL-Sports, the AC-Sport and the Dia2, are screwed into the section. That means that the higher-end nibs are easier to swap out. The Classic Sport nibs can be swapped, but you either have to swap the entire section (which isn't hard) or pull the Classic Sport nib and feed and swap those into your second Classic Sport's section, which I would not do often.

fountainpenkid
December 8th, 2015, 11:23 AM
As others have said, Pelikan, Montblanc and Faber-Castell and Kaweco are all great and successful pen companies today.

But defunct German brands are more interesting in some ways. Prominent in the vintage realm are Pelikan and Montblanc and Kaweco but also Soennecken, Osmia, and Geha. Out of these, I would contest that the Pelikan 400 is the only 'must have'.

Music and Ink
December 8th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Welcome!
As to the list: Pelikan, Montblanc, Faber-Castell (with its upscale offerings labeled 'Graf von Faber-Castell') should definitely be named for both pens and great inks - but there are more pen manufacturers, such as Diplomat, Staedtler and Lindauer.
De Atramentis is a great German batch manufacturer of FP inks, and just across the border, in Basel, Switzerland, is Abraxas.
Rohrer & Klingner is one of my favorite brands of ink.
Paper is a bit more sketchy, but basically anything made for German school use (Brunnen, Brause, Hahnenmuehle etc) is FP friendly.
JoWo Berliner Schreibfedern and Bock are preeminent makers of nibs in Germany, and supply their products to many pen manufacturers.
Thanks. Very helpful. I have ordered some Salix. It looks like a nice shade of blue. I appreciate the extensive answer.

Music and Ink
December 8th, 2015, 01:20 PM
You asked "what size nib" does a Kaweco Classic Sport use. I'm not sure if you mean the physical size of the nib, or the width, but I'll try to answer both.

It's a smaller nib in physical size, closer to the size of a Lamy Safari or Pelikan M200 in terms of dimensions. If you go to this review (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/12/03/kaweco-dia2-dual-pen-review/), on the second page you can see a photo comparing the nibs.

As for nib width, Sport nibs are available in all widths between extra-fine and double broad, and they are standard European nibs in width. You can also get "calligraphy nibs," which are 1.1, 1.5 and I think 1.9 mm stubs. I know that Kaweco Sport nibs are made in Germany, so I would assume they are made by Jowo or Bock.

The review to which I've linked looks at the Dia2, not the Classic Sport. The Dia2 nibs are the exact same size (and width) as Classic Sport nibs, but the Classic Sport nibs are friction fitted in the section. In contrast Kaweco's higher-end nibs, found on the AL-Sports, the AC-Sport and the Dia2, are screwed into the section. That means that the higher-end nibs are easier to swap out. The Classic Sport nibs can be swapped, but you either have to swap the entire section (which isn't hard) or pull the Classic Sport nib and feed and swap those into your second Classic Sport's section, which I would not do often. Thanks so much. To clarify, I was wondering about the numbered size corresponding to its width in mm. A size 6 being very common, I wanted to know if I'd have options to change the nib even outside of kaweco.

Music and Ink
December 8th, 2015, 01:21 PM
As others have said, Pelikan, Montblanc and Faber-Castell and Kaweco are all great and successful pen companies today.

But defunct German brands are more interesting in some ways. Prominent in the vintage realm are Pelikan and Montblanc and Kaweco but also Soennecken, Osmia, and Geha. Out of these, I would contest that the Pelikan 400 is the only 'must have'.
I will have to check out those companies, thank you.

Laura N
December 8th, 2015, 03:18 PM

The review to which I've linked looks at the Dia2, not the Classic Sport. The Dia2 nibs are the exact same size (and width) as Classic Sport nibs, but the Classic Sport nibs are friction fitted in the section. In contrast Kaweco's higher-end nibs, found on the AL-Sports, the AC-Sport and the Dia2, are screwed into the section. That means that the higher-end nibs are easier to swap out. The Classic Sport nibs can be swapped, but you either have to swap the entire section (which isn't hard) or pull the Classic Sport nib and feed and swap those into your second Classic Sport's section, which I would not do often. Thanks so much. To clarify, I was wondering about the numbered size corresponding to its width in mm. A size 6 being very common, I wanted to know if I'd have options to change the nib even outside of kaweco.

It's much smaller than a #6 nib. The photo on the linked blog compares it to several nibs, including an Edison #6.

For me the Kaweco steel nibs have a more enjoyable writing feel than the standard Bock or Jowo #6 or #5 steel nibs I've used. So I'd rather use the Kaweco nibs anyway.

top pen
December 9th, 2015, 07:35 AM
I don't think anyone really mentioned Diplomat yet. I own 3 at the moment, owned 4 in the past. I like there design philosophy especially seen in the Balance and Aero and some of the Excellence A's I find they cut the balance between modern design seen in the likes of Lamy and Faber Castell with the more traditional philosophies of Pelikan and MB perfectly. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Balance, Aero and Excellence range and definitely a worthy brand to explore.

I've tried few other common ones such as the M200 I rate highly and the Faber Castell Ondoro as well as the Lamy studio both of which are good solid mid tier pens however they don't bring anything notable to table.

jar
December 9th, 2015, 07:58 AM

There are no universal nib size designations.

KKay
December 9th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Black n' Red notebooks are made in Germany.

nospam666
December 9th, 2015, 07:53 PM
I absolutely love Deatramentis inks, especially Document Fuchsia and Mint Turquoise.

Music and Ink
December 9th, 2015, 10:56 PM

There are no universal nib size designations.
I didn't say universal. Just that size 6 is very common.

erpe
December 10th, 2015, 07:57 AM
For detailed info on the Bock nibs, have a look at their site, they supply a surprising wealth of info on their products http://www.peter-bock.com/products
Unfortunately, they do not sell to consumers directly but if you know a good B&M store, they may be able to help you.

Bogon07
December 10th, 2015, 03:38 PM
ONLINE pens
http://www.online-pen.de/en/home.html
The site is rather slow.
They do a range of budget fountain pens.

The two we have at home are quite nice to write with - they have Iridium Point Germany steel nibs.