PDA

View Full Version : FREE Kaweco Classic Sport Fountain Pen

PenChalet
December 8th, 2015, 02:15 PM
FREE Vintage Kaweco Classic Sport Fountain Pen

New, Uncirculated, Vintage Kaweco Classic Sport Fountain Pen (https://www.penchalet.com/fine_pens/fountain_pens/kaweco_new_vintage_classic_sport_fountain_pen.html )
Retail: $25
view product... (https://www.penchalet.com/fine_pens/fountain_pens/kaweco_new_vintage_classic_sport_fountain_pen.html )

Pen Chalet is giving each customer who spends $100 or more a FREE New, Uncirculated, Vintage Kaweco Classic Sport Fountain Pen while supplies last!*

How it Works:

Enter the KAWECOSPORT coupon code & Get 10% Off your ENTIRE orders! This coupon is still valid for 10% Off all orders under $100.
Spend $100 or more(Price AFTER the 10% Coupon).
The Vintage Kaweco Classic Sport Fountain Pen will automatically be added to your shpping cart with the price adjusted!

*Offer expires Sunday, December 13th, 2015 at midnight Eastern time or when supplies run out. $100 minimum order is after the 10% coupon and does not include any other fees such as tax, shipping, etc. The Vintage Kaweco Classic Sport Fountain Pen will show in the shopping cart with an adjustment in the discount for the price of the item. One Vintage Kaweco Classic Sport Fountain Pen per order, per customer while quantities last. Medium nib only in either blue or black. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Pen Chalet has the right to terminate the giveaway early if quantities run out so act today!

Shop More Great Deals... (https://www.penchalet.com/fountain_pen_specials.aspx)

TSherbs
December 8th, 2015, 05:42 PM
oh, that kind of "free".... :eek:

penwash
December 8th, 2015, 10:26 PM

What kind of "free" were you expecting?
It's still a good deal.
For example, if I buy the modern Conklin Crescent in Red. I got a free Kaweco.
What's not to like?

(now I am severely tempting myself. I'll stop now).

earthdawn
December 9th, 2015, 08:56 AM
And the 10% works site wide.... 10% off the specials page as well & the free Kaweco

Man thats awesome !

Jholden
December 9th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Just stock up on some beautiful Rhodia paper. You can literally never have enough variations of those notebooks! :) ( Especially the Ice version)

* I am in no way affiliated btw

Biber
December 10th, 2015, 07:00 AM

That was my thought too. I'm just trying to figure out what "vintage" is supposed to mean. And "uncirculated" - seriously?

earthdawn
December 10th, 2015, 11:36 AM

That was my thought too. I'm just trying to figure out what "vintage" is supposed to mean. And "uncirculated" - seriously?

Theres a link in his description ... here -----> https://www.penchalet.com/fine_pens/fountain_pens/kaweco_new_vintage_classic_sport_fountain_pen.html

nospam666
December 10th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Way to look a gift horse in the mouth... SMDH

TSherbs
December 10th, 2015, 05:40 PM

It's still a good deal.
What's not to like?

Go for it!

This is a "bundling" deal, and nothing in it is "free" as in "costing not even a penny." You have to spend $100 (minimum) to receive the 25$ pen "free." Or in other words, you must spend at least $125 to receive a $25 discount (that is the best discount). So, depending on the actual amount that you spend, you "save" at best 1/5 or 20%. This is at best a 20% off sale, and as you spend more, the rate of savings goes down from there. What is "free" here is your choice to spend $125+ for a <20% discount, or not.

TSherbs
December 10th, 2015, 05:44 PM

actually, it's the belly where the real trouble lies

Laura N
December 10th, 2015, 06:04 PM

I'm confused.

Because, first, my definition of a gift horse would be a horse you are given for free. Not one you are given if you first purchase $100 worth of hay. The second would be a "gift horse with purchase."

And, second, why this rush by so many to make people who comment on an internet forum look like bad guys? I'm really wondering.

Here's what I see: the merchant intentionally uses a hard-to-resist thread title of "FREE Kaweco Classic Sport Fountain Pen." Not "Free Kaweco Classic Sport with Purchase" or "Great Kaweco Deal" or something more descriptive. He does this, rather obviously and cleverly, to get people to click. That's cute. But it's also just a wee bit deflating, perhaps, for those who actually thought something was FREE, not free with purchase.

No one criticized him. No one said anything negative. Someone made a joke about it not really being free, when the title says FREE. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill.

You know what I think? I think he'd be in on that joke, because he's the one who started it.

He hasn't been harmed, impugned or offended in any way. There seem to be a lot of people rushing to his "defense," when I think no defense is needed. So I don't get that. To the extent that any of you guys who've posted here are connected with him, or are related to him, or actually are him, then maybe you will correct me, because I'm just an unaffiliated person in his customer base who really appreciates his prices and doesn't see anything wrong with responding to his tongue-in-cheek title with a tongue-in-in-cheek comment.

Jon Szanto
December 10th, 2015, 06:54 PM
Yep. Certainly a reasonable deal, and just as certainly not a "free" pen. That's all.

TSherbs
December 10th, 2015, 06:57 PM
That is, a horse's-tongue-in-cheek comment. ;)

penwash
December 10th, 2015, 08:57 PM

I'm confused.

Because, first, my definition of a gift horse would be a horse you are given for free. Not one you are given if you first purchase $100 worth of hay. The second would be a "gift horse with purchase."

And, second, why this rush by so many to make people who comment on an internet forum look like bad guys? I'm really wondering.

Here's what I see: the merchant intentionally uses a hard-to-resist thread title of "FREE Kaweco Classic Sport Fountain Pen." Not "Free Kaweco Classic Sport with Purchase" or "Great Kaweco Deal" or something more descriptive. He does this, rather obviously and cleverly, to get people to click. That's cute. But it's also just a wee bit deflating, perhaps, for those who actually thought something was FREE, not free with purchase.

No one criticized him. No one said anything negative. Someone made a joke about it not really being free, when the title says FREE. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill.

You know what I think? I think he'd be in on that joke, because he's the one who started it.

He hasn't been harmed, impugned or offended in any way. There seem to be a lot of people rushing to his "defense," when I think no defense is needed. So I don't get that. To the extent that any of you guys who've posted here are connected with him, or are related to him, or actually are him, then maybe you will correct me, because I'm just an unaffiliated person in his customer base who really appreciates his prices and doesn't see anything wrong with responding to his tongue-in-cheek title with a tongue-in-in-cheek comment.

I feel that some of this comment is directed at me.

I wasn't making an anthill out of a mole. I was only commenting in the spirit that there is no such thing as FREE as in "free beer (when the bartender won a lottery or very drunk)".
So of course, a business has to make a profit, therefore it follows the logic that the FREE comes with some kind of catch.
Having said that I was really tempted when I look around the site. But thankfully the temptation has passed.

No one is offended, I think, and if I have offended you, I genuinely feel sorry and I apologize.

Oh, and yes, sometimes I forgot to put my smiley emoticon to indicate that (so far) no one in this forum has yet made a comment that caused me heartburn. :)

penwash
December 10th, 2015, 08:59 PM

It's still a good deal.
What's not to like?

Go for it!

This is a "bundling" deal, and nothing in it is "free" as in "costing not even a penny." You have to spend $100 (minimum) to receive the 25$ pen "free." Or in other words, you must spend at least $125 to receive a $25 discount (that is the best discount). So, depending on the actual amount that you spend, you "save" at best 1/5 or 20%. This is at best a 20% off sale, and as you spend more, the rate of savings goes down from there. What is "free" here is your choice to spend $125+ for a <20% discount, or not.

I was really tempted.
But not anymore. Today I received a gift that is so much better. Yes, it's a pen. :)

Biber
December 11th, 2015, 09:08 AM
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think its a good deal. To get the $25 pen, which I can currently get for $18 at Isellpens by the way, I'd have to spend considerably more (by A WHOLE LOT) that I normally would on pen incidentals. Perhaps this wouldn't be an issue to some, but 100 bucks is a significant amount in my house. Not to mention if I wanted THAT pen I would be better served by buying it outright rather than feeling coerced into spending more than I normally would. Now that's what coupons and discounts do, and the prospect of a "freebie" does attract people. There's a whole industry built on it. But, as a poster above noted, it's actually more than $100 because that's after a the 10% discount and then shipping is added on top of that. I should think that at the $100 spending level shipping would be included but that's another story.

Yet I can see the seller's point entirely, I really can. They have this stock that perhaps they feel they really can't do much with, so why not offer it up as a freebie. At what purchase point? Too low and they really would be giving it away, and quickly at that. A little higher and there's the possibility of recouping some of the cost of the freebie (dare to guess what the actual cost per unit is?). So make it $100, after all if somebody's going to spend that much then they'll feel they're actually getting something free. But, make it after all other offers discounts fees and costs applied to the order just because. Oh, and try to sweeten the attractiveness of the "freebie" by using terms such as "vintage" and "uncirculated", which have useful connotations in their own right. Never mind that vintage in this case means only several years old, and uncirculated, well, that's so incongruous to fountain pens as to be comical. Face it, if someone described such a pen that way on Ebay, folks around here would have had a field day deriding it. I would have thought that NOS would have sufficed.

Despite any implications to the contrary I really don't have gripe about the offer. I'd like a Sport, I really would, and may actually buy one in the near future. I'm just not in the market to spend $100+ that I don't really have, on stuff I really don't need just to get one "free". If you are and can, then great for you. You'll get a fantastic little pen in appreciation for your business. Hopefully you're not doing it just to get the pen. Actually my gripe is with the description of the pens which were obviously designed to give the impression that they're worth more that they actually are. If you ask me it's kinda... well, I needn't say it, but that's my own opinion. Caveat emptor.

nospam666
December 11th, 2015, 11:53 AM
I just don't think free with purchase is that unusual or deceptive of a practice. This isn't the pay it forward forum after all.

Jon Szanto
December 11th, 2015, 05:02 PM
I just don't think free with purchase is that unusual or deceptive of a practice. This isn't the pay it forward forum after all.

Except that isn't how it was... advertised. And, yeah, we all have lines that we draw on the deceptivity of a particular action, and they differ.

nospam666
December 11th, 2015, 06:50 PM
I guess I just don't understand what the big deal is. Some of the threads on this forum make me feel like I stumbled into a small town where everyone knows each other and there are unspoken rules and gangs that newcomers like me don't know we should avoid.

Laura N
December 11th, 2015, 07:31 PM

I guess I just don't understand what the big deal is. Some of the threads on this forum make me feel like I stumbled into a small town where everyone knows each other and there are unspoken rules and gangs that newcomers like me don't know we should avoid.

It's strange, but I feel like you've been here before. You remind me of someone.

Well, gangs do sound fun, but I have the flu or something so I'm not in my right mind.

Jon Szanto
December 11th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Not to worry. At the end of each thread we always hug, dance, and make out.

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2014-07/22/15/enhanced/webdr10/enhanced-23930-1406056074-18.jpg

nospam666
December 11th, 2015, 08:33 PM

It's strange, but I feel like you've been here before. You remind me of someone.

Well, gangs do sound fun, but I have the flu or something so I'm not in my right mind.

No, I've never been here before last month, and this is my only account here.

But the paranoia is just one example of the weird politics I've seen on the forum.

Never mind though, because I'm out.

penwash
December 11th, 2015, 09:27 PM

No, I've never been here before last month, and this is my only account here.

But the paranoia is just one example of the weird politics I've seen on the forum.

Never mind though, because I'm out.

If I can sway your mind, I would.
I am too still relative a newcomer (just got with the hobby for 3-4months).

This forum is not bad, and this thread just need some hugs (as Jon initiated above).
We can differ in opinion without stepping on each others toes.

There's enough bad out there in the world, we need to extend grace and kindness as far it is up to us.

Sandy Fry
December 12th, 2015, 03:59 AM
I am confused by this whole thread!

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. You spend $100+ and get a $20 pen thrown in. Who would seriously spend $100+ just to get a " free " $20 pen???

However, if you happen to need $100+ of FP related items and choose to spend your money with the OP, you get a wee cheapie pen thrown in.

What exactly is everyone arguing about? New town? Gangs? Paranoia? Did I fall into the Twilight Zone? Lighten up folks.

Thought we were all here because we have something in common. A love of Fountain pens/writing instruments and to share knowledge and maybe poke a wee bit of fun here and there!

David

TSherbs
December 12th, 2015, 07:03 AM
....Thought we were all here because we have something in common. A love of Fountain pens/writing instruments and to share knowledge and maybe poke a wee bit of fun here and there!

David

That's what this thread has been: some "poking" and "a wee bit of fun."