PDA

View Full Version : Wahl ring top is leaking -- help!

katherine
December 12th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Hey FPGeeks,

I've had my Wahl ring top for a few weeks and really like it. However, I noticed yesterday that it seems to be leaking right around the threads. When I hold it, I end up with ink on my fingers -- even after carefully wiping off the threads. It's a pretty small leak -- but definitely a leak. What should I do?

I'm not sure what caused this -- possibly a plane ride earlier in the day yesterday. It was fine after my first flight earlier in the week... But that's the only thing I can think of.

Lady Onogaro
December 12th, 2015, 10:27 PM
Hi, Katherine,

Do you know if the sac was ever replaced? Maybe it is starting to fail. If you haven't sent it to a pen repair person, I would recommend Danny Fudge (The Write Pen). Repairing it will probably be fairly inexpensive.

katherine
December 12th, 2015, 10:57 PM
Yep, the sac was replaced before I got it. I purchased it from Greg Minuskin a few weeks ago.

Deb
December 13th, 2015, 05:43 AM
If it's leaking, air is getting in somewhere. I think the sac needs to be checked.

katherine
December 13th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Thanks!

sloegin
December 14th, 2015, 09:25 AM
It may not be leaking. The ink maybe condensing in the cap. Is the pen carried in a pocket, which would exacerbate the issue. Do you know if the sac is silicone or latex?

mhosea
December 14th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Wahl ring top, leaking, Minuskin. Hmmm. I just got that deja vu (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/9400-Greg-Minuskin-Quite-disappointed) feeling.

If it's leaking from where the section meets the barrel, the sac is suspect. Given the previous case (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/9400-Greg-Minuskin-Quite-disappointed?p=103694&viewfull=1#post103694), however, how the nib and feed are set needs to be checked, as ink can get on the threads from ink getting into the cap. This often happens where the end of the section touches the inner cap. If the ink stays confined to the very end of the section, not where one grips the pen, then it's not, IMHO, a fault. However, ink should not be getting on your fingers from touching the threads. Something is wrong. I'm assuming the pen isn't being twiddled and tossed like a baton, thrown in a backpack to be jostled around, carried upside down in pants pockets, or anything like that.

katherine
December 14th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I contacted Minuskin and I'm going to mail it back to him for him to check. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly.

It's been handled pretty carefully, and when I put it in my backpack (in a case) I make sure to keep it cap-side-up. I flushed it the other night and even after getting all the ink out of the sac, touching the join right below the threads produces inky goodness -- so there's a bunch of ink trapped in there somewhere. :/ (I kept wiping at it with a damp paper towel for probably 20 minutes...) The cap wasn't very inky though, so I don't think it's ink getting into the cap, then onto the threads.