PDA

View Full Version : Why Esterbrook is The most versatile vintage pen

penwash
December 14th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Two seemingly unrelated stories:

1. I just finished grinding a large Penman nib to my liking, a Medium Cursive Italic with sharp distinction between thin and thick, sharp enough to render Majuscule Gothic capitals

2. I have an Esterbrook nib collar with a steel Wearever nib. Don't ask. I didn't put it there, and can't fathom how that can be a good idea

So I put 1 and 2 together.

Now I have an Esterbrook collar with a Penman Cursive Italic nib which I can use on any Esterbrook pens (way superior to the body where the Penman nib came with).
Writing sample:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/629/23642693632_a098c86642_z.jpg

DASEFnib
December 15th, 2015, 02:33 AM
Hard to find fault with Esties, isn't it???!!;) Congrats on your successful mod!! It LOOKS and WRITES beautifully!!:)
Yours looks like a project I may try "down the road"....for now....I'm just trying to wrap my head around the VAST number of Estie nibs available!!
Many are NOS, and can be had for a song -- if you shop around a bit!! BUT.....I'm sure you know this already....!;)

Always try to get the dibs.....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

penwash
December 15th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Hard to find fault with Esties, isn't it???!!;) Congrats on your successful mod!! It LOOKS and WRITES beautifully!!:)
Yours looks like a project I may try "down the road"....for now....I'm just trying to wrap my head around the VAST number of Estie nibs available!!
Many are NOS, and can be had for a song -- if you shop around a bit!! BUT.....I'm sure you know this already....!;)

Always try to get the dibs.....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Indeed. I now know why people have tens of Esties in their collection.
Like a wonderful classic car chassis, it serves as a solid base for interesting modifications.

Jon Szanto
December 15th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Indeed. I now know why people have tens of Esties in their collection.
Like a wonderful classic car chassis, it serves as a solid base for interesting modifications.

Well, yes... and then there are the variations that go beyond that. Such as the seldom seen Wearbrook Esterever, sporting a lovely "frosted" 9314-F Relief nib:

http://i.imgur.com/eJWJwaph.jpg

penwash
December 15th, 2015, 05:16 PM
And the story behind this amazing beauty is...?

Jon Szanto
December 15th, 2015, 05:33 PM

A pile of Esterbrooks in the usual (if somewhat boring colors), some interesting 2nd and 3rd tier pens laying around that, while having somewhat low quality (especially in the nibs) often exhibited some very interesting celluloids, and the realization that "hey, it looks like the Estie section is about the same inner barrel diameter!".

A little sandpaper, a little while later, and I've got a swank new body to host any Esterbrook nib I want. Including that one, which is one of my favorites.

penwash
December 15th, 2015, 05:49 PM

A pile of Esterbrooks in the usual (if somewhat boring colors), some interesting 2nd and 3rd tier pens laying around that, while having somewhat low quality (especially in the nibs) often exhibited some very interesting celluloids, and the realization that "hey, it looks like the Estie section is about the same inner barrel diameter!".

A little sandpaper, a little while later, and I've got a swank new body to host any Esterbrook nib I want. Including that one, which is one of my favorites.

Clever! That sidestep the thread compatibility issue altogether.
I agree with you, some third tier, or no-name pens has the most striking (or sublimely subdued) patterns and colors.