PDA

View Full Version : Omas Milord Arco Celluloid

chemguyethan
December 16th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Well, here we are. Another pen that may or may not have been above my means... haha. Saw this one pop up on the Specials on Chatterley Luxuries and had to jump on it. I have never seen the pen for such a steal and with my preferred nib size. Just an absolutely gorgeous material (I can see why people love these pens) and really a pleasure to write with. So smooth, nice wet line, a bit springy. Just fantastic, don't regret spending the money at all.

Enjoy.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag391/chemguyethan/Pens%20and%20things/20151216-20151216_000000_zpsuxveec78.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/chemguyethan/media/Pens%20and%20things/20151216-20151216_000000_zpsuxveec78.jpg.html) http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag391/chemguyethan/Pens%20and%20things/20151216-20151216_000035_zpsjy1uelax.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/chemguyethan/media/Pens%20and%20things/20151216-20151216_000035_zpsjy1uelax.jpg.html) http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag391/chemguyethan/Pens%20and%20things/20151216-20151216_000351_zpsi5ntq8kp.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/chemguyethan/media/Pens%20and%20things/20151216-20151216_000351_zpsi5ntq8kp.jpg.html) http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag391/chemguyethan/Pens%20and%20things/20151216-20151216_000438_zpscuvlog0e.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/chemguyethan/media/Pens%20and%20things/20151216-20151216_000438_zpscuvlog0e.jpg.html)

Robert
December 16th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Very nice pics. What brown ink is that?

dannzeman
December 16th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Lovely. Makes me regret selling mine.

inklord
December 16th, 2015, 05:16 PM

Dan, how could you cull anything Arco from your collection?!? ;)

chemguyethan
December 16th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Very nice pics. What brown ink is that?

Thanks! It does look brown, but it's actually Sailor Oku-Yama, so technically a burgandy, but it's got a nice yellow/green sheen. Not sure exactly that it matches the pen, but I'm leaving it in cause I'm curious how long the ink will last. Which brings up my (so far) one and only complaint about the pen; there's no ink window. A bit of a pain with the piston filler, but it hasn't run out of ink yet and I've been writing with it maybe every other day for the past week and a half.

Sorry to open old wounds...

penwash
December 16th, 2015, 05:57 PM
How's the writing experience?
Is the nib springy?

adkayle
December 16th, 2015, 06:26 PM
I'm not the OP but I am a new Omas owner as well. The nib is springy and soft. I dunno how to explain it other than saying it feels like a vintage soft-ish semiflex nib but without the flex. That is, you can feel the tines bounce when you write but you shouldn't expect or demand huge line variation from the nib. It feels like divine luxury if you're into springy and bouncy nibs.

chemguyethan
December 16th, 2015, 07:50 PM
Is the nib springy?

I'm not the OP but I am a new Omas owner as well. The nib is springy and soft. I dunno how to explain it other than saying it feels like a vintage soft-ish semiflex nib but without the flex. That is, you can feel the tines bounce when you write but you shouldn't expect or demand huge line variation from the nib. It feels like divine luxury if you're into springy and bouncy nibs.

As adkayle mentioned, it is definitely springy/soft. I wouldn't call it flex by any stretch, and I've heard rumors of these Omas nibs being easy to spring, so I won't push mine. I got the broad so it's got some natural line variation anyway since it's a bit stubby. It really is a pleasure to write with; ultra smooth, bouncy, juicy. Top notch nib.

dannzeman
December 16th, 2015, 07:56 PM

It hadn't been used in a looong time and I knew it was going to a good home. I just picked up a modern Paragon in Arco to replace it, so I'm doing ok.

chemguyethan
December 16th, 2015, 09:31 PM
Is the nib springy?

It hadn't been used in a looong time and I knew it was going to a good home. I just picked up a modern Paragon in Arco to replace it, so I'm doing ok.

Glad to hear you upgraded, haha. Dan, I saw your video of the Paragon Arco Verde and must say... I envy that pen. Green is my favorite color and to have this material but in green, well, that's just spectacular, haha.

dannzeman
December 16th, 2015, 09:49 PM

Glad to hear you upgraded, haha. Dan, I saw your video of the Paragon Arco Verde and must say... I envy that pen. Green is my favorite color and to have this material but in green, well, that's just spectacular, haha.

I no longer have the Arco Verde. Sold it shortly after I did the review. The size of the Vintage Paragon just doesn't gel with me and the material was a little darker than I liked. It just didn't have the pop of the bronze Arco.

chemguyethan
December 16th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Is the nib springy?

I no longer have the Arco Verde. Sold it shortly after I did the review. The size of the Vintage Paragon just doesn't gel with me and the material was a little darker than I liked. It just didn't have the pop of the bronze Arco.

Hmm, ok. I wondered if that was just the video, as I too noticed it was pretty dark. Well, all in all, these seem to be great pens though. I do love the brown/bronze pen though, so I can't complain.

lisantica
December 21st, 2015, 08:02 PM
Congrats, that's a beauty!

VAA
December 27th, 2015, 03:55 AM
Very nice! I just got an Arco Ogiva for Christmas. It's quite the looker. The material is just mesmerizing to look at. I have too many other pens inked up, if there is such a thing, so I haven't written with it yet but I might break down and ink it up today.

Congrats on your new pick up.

Mags
December 27th, 2015, 06:54 AM
What a gorgeous pen material.

chemguyethan
January 11th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Finally cleaned out the ink that was in there. It'd been going strong for quite a while. But now... I want something better with the ink...

I'm trying to think of the perfect ink to match this pen... anyone come up with good matches? I'm one of those that likes to match the pen body to the ink as best I can (except for black, cause then I can use whatever ink I want in it, haha).

So I'm thinking browns for this guy, which is obvious. I only have two brown inks, and none of them really do it for me. I've got Montblanc Toffee Brown, which is I would say a straight brown, not red, not too gray, just dark brown. Which is nice, but not matching the pen. I've also got Noodler's Antietam, which as an ink that I actually love, but I think it's too red for the pen.

I'm open to suggestions. Maybe something in the middle of those two, more red but not as much as Antietam. I've been looking at Sepia inks (either from Omas themselves or another), I've even considered picking up some Diamine Ancient Copper or Autumn Oak.

Thanks fellow FPGeeks

Robert
January 11th, 2016, 04:29 PM
My favorite brown is Iroshizuku yama-guri - a rich, dark brown. Not much red in it, but you might take a look at another Iroshizuku ink: tsukushi, which is a sort of sepia with red tones.

chemguyethan
January 11th, 2016, 06:13 PM
My favorite brown is Iroshizuku yama-guri - a rich, dark brown. Not much red in it, but you might take a look at another Iroshizuku ink: tsukushi, which is a sort of sepia with red tones.

Ah, I do love iroshizuku inks... Those browns don't really feel right though, to me. I saw ina-ho initially (though it's a little light anyway), but then looked it up and found that it's very poorly behaved, which is a bummer. I figure I could use an expensive ink in my expensive pen, haha.

I'm intrigued by Noodler's golden brown, but Diamine 150th terracotta and/or sepia seem a better fit... SO MANY CHOICES

The Good Captain
January 12th, 2016, 01:33 AM
How about Diamine Macassar? It could be just a little dark but that might not be a bad thing.