PDA

View Full Version : Leftybooks

Haefennasiel
December 18th, 2015, 08:53 PM
I'm not a lefty, but I know some penthusiasts who are. [emoji4]

http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=72785

Lady Onogaro
December 19th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Those are very cool notebooks. (Not a lefty of the left-handed kind.) I can imagine that someone who is left-handed would appreciate the tilted pages. The covers are interesting, too.

Sailor Kenshin
December 19th, 2015, 09:55 AM
I think it would make me seasick, lol.

Dreck
December 19th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Having been a printer in a previous stage of life, I think that someone in the bindery area screwed up a huge order and this is just someone in marketing's way of trying to cut their losses. It's clever, but I'm with S.K. I'm a lefty, but one of these would make me seasick. Or something. Just looking at the skewed lines on that paper made me cringe. I can't imagine holding a whole book full. I shudder to think of it...

Jon Szanto
December 19th, 2015, 11:53 AM
I'm with Dreck and SK - no way. I can tilt my journals on my own, thank you, and all this printing would do is raise everyone's OCD hackles. It also seems absurd to bind the book 'backwards' as every book has both left- and right-facing pages already.

I believe this is another hipster-oriented scam (http://qz.com/571151/the-mast-brothers-fooled-the-world-into-buying-crappy-hipster-chocolate-for-10-a-bar/), though I have no proof. :)

Sailor Kenshin
December 19th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Wahahaaa...I already either write from the back of a book (like the Japanese!) or on the 'wrong' side of the page. I don't use lefthand nibs, either.

But the covers are cute.

rafapa
December 19th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Having been a printer in a previous stage of life, I think that someone in the bindery area screwed up a huge order and this is just someone in marketing's way of trying to cut their losses. It's clever, but I'm with S.K. I'm a lefty, but one of these would make me seasick. Or something. Just looking at the skewed lines on that paper made me cringe. I can't imagine holding a whole book full. I shudder to think of it...

Are you serious?

Dreck
December 19th, 2015, 06:25 PM

Are you serious?

On every count.

At the risk of running down the rabbit hole, if this is the result of a Bindery department screw-up, it's like the whole Levian "chocolate diamonds" thing.
Historically, diamonds have been valued for their rarity, color, and clarity. The best diamonds disappear when submerged in water. If one owns a diamond mine and wishes to further increase profits on an overvalued rock clawed from the Earth by virtual slave labor, what is one to do? Easy: market the living daylights out of the crap ones and make these less-desirable and greater-flawed items seem as if they are special in their own right. Then sell them at an incredibly inflated price that convinces the poor saps shelling out their hard earned denarii they're getting something truly remarkable.

George Orwell said that all advertising is the rattling of a stick in a swill bucket.

Haefennasiel
December 21st, 2015, 08:24 AM
Hmmm, I had no idea sharing this would generate these types of responses. However, they're much appreciated, as well as both interesting and informative (though I got a wee bit puzzled by Dreck's terminology). As a "righty" who has a few very close lefty pen-friends, I sometimes wonder what it's like to be in their shoes. And thank you also for the link, Mr. Szanto. I guess it's a blessing in a way I wouldn't be able to afford those chocolates. :)

Sailor Kenshin
December 21st, 2015, 09:33 AM
Hmmm, I had no idea sharing this would generate these types of responses. However, they're much appreciated, as well as both interesting and informative (though I got a wee bit puzzled by Dreck's terminology). As a "righty" who has a few very close lefty pen-friends, I sometimes wonder what it's like to be in their shoes. And thank you also for the link, Mr. Szanto. I guess it's a blessing in a way I wouldn't be able to afford those chocolates. :)

I just looked at that link. The title alone has me laughing! :D

Bogon07
December 23rd, 2015, 04:49 PM
I'm with Dreck and SK - no way. I can tilt my journals on my own, thank you, and all this printing would do is raise everyone's OCD hackles. It also seems absurd to bind the book 'backwards' as every book has both left- and right-facing pages already.

I believe this is another hipster-oriented scam (http://qz.com/571151/the-mast-brothers-fooled-the-world-into-buying-crappy-hipster-chocolate-for-10-a-bar/), though I have no proof. :)

Here is your proof - a KickStarter campaign.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imborrable/leftybooks-notebooks-designed-for-left-handed-mind?ref=hero_thanks

Quite frankly I'd feel insulted at being labeled a "lefty" who is too dumb to tilt a book when writing that I need to buy one with slanted lines.
Then have to put up with this smug and condescending Apple style promotion as well.

Also they may like to think about the variety of writing positions used by left-handers as seen on the Nibs.com site.
http://www.nibs.com/Left-hand%20writers.htm

We feel very conscious about the environment, which is why our products are always made from renewable forests. All our Paper is FSC certified (Forest Stewardship Council). This guarantees it comes from a forest established solely for this intention, preventing deforestation, and managed by people that share our environmental views.
Good idea but aren't these renewable forest plantations grown on land cleared of existing native tree species ?

Some of the covers look ok though.
Writingrav - tick this one off for Grumpy Thursday. :bump2:

JackdeSpadas
December 28th, 2015, 10:21 PM
What would really get a lefty to sit up and take notice is if someone were to manufacture a counterclockwise threaded pen. It doesn't happen so much for me with stubbed FPs, since I don't/can't rotate the pen as I write, but I can't tell you the number of times per day that I used to unscrew my pen just by writing with it.

Slanty lines look like someone f'd up.