PDA

View Full Version : Pens and Christmas

SeminarianMike
December 19th, 2015, 07:27 PM
As a seminarian I must say Christmas isn't about gifts but comonnn... What pens are you giving or expecting for Christmas...

On the giving side: sense I have found out pens make epic gifts. I gave a fellow seminarian a waterman fine nib pen who I had in our secret Santa. I think it made his year. He had dropped his pilot metropolitan a week earlier ruining the nib. So not only did I replace his pen, but gave him a significant upgrade...
My mother I got a custom hand turned pen made from stabilized and dyed burl. It got her into the hobby and we are now collecting together.
Big gift to my rector who claims he has used nothing but fountain pens sense 1996, I only ever see him use pilot varsity, and claims all his nice pens are clogged with dry ink. I saved up a bit and got him a montreverde invincia!

Bold2013
December 19th, 2015, 09:05 PM
What seminary are you at? Thinking about seminar after my first career is finished.

SeminarianMike
December 20th, 2015, 01:48 AM
I'm at Saint Pauls seminary which is the minor seminary for the diocese of Pittsburgh

top pen
December 20th, 2015, 03:52 AM
Not expecting any new pens as I got an early Christmas back in October. I did give my sister Sheaffer Intensity Violet set last year however a good few months later I'd given up hope of her inking it as she still hadn't however a few weeks ago a good eleven months after giving it to here she finally inked it and liked it. So there still maybe hope if she makes use of it over the next year I may follow it up with another.

Kaputnik
December 20th, 2015, 05:12 AM
I've given pens as gifts in the past; they were received politely but unenthusiastically. Unfortunately, for the people on my list, they are the kind of gift where you are trying to get them interested in something they currently don't care about. I'll be giving other things this year, and would be surprised to receive any myself.

Sailor Kenshin
December 20th, 2015, 05:35 AM
As a seminarian I must say Christmas isn't about gifts but comonnn... What pens are you giving or expecting for Christmas...

On the giving side: sense I have found out pens make epic gifts. I gave a fellow seminarian a waterman fine nib pen who I had in our secret Santa. I think it made his year. He had dropped his pilot metropolitan a week earlier ruining the nib. So not only did I replace his pen, but gave him a significant upgrade...
My mother I got a custom hand turned pen made from stabilized and dyed burl. It got her into the hobby and we are now collecting together.
Big gift to my rector who claims he has used nothing but fountain pens sense 1996, I only ever see him use pilot varsity, and claims all his nice pens are clogged with dry ink. I saved up a bit and got him a montreverde invincia!

Where are all those clogged pens? For safety's sake, they should all be sent immediately to ME. ;)

I don't think I am buying a pen or a ink...but earlier this week, I repaired a Platinum pocket pen and a Lady Sheaffer, both of which had stuck, gummed or otherwise messed-up threads. To me, that counts as new!

VertOlive
December 20th, 2015, 07:01 AM
I have two friends, husband and wife, who keep commonplace books but who use ballpoints. I'm going to give them each a Paperblanks notebook paired with a matching Pilot Metropolitan.

Edgar Allen Poe plus classic black Metro for him, Safavid plus classic gold Metro for her.

SeminarianMike
December 20th, 2015, 07:49 AM
That sounds like a wonderful gift vert [emoji5][emoji5][emoji5] I got a 25 dollar gift card for eBay from my seminarian brother I will be buying some Claire Fontaine American standard note book blanks for class! Perfect with my lamy all star

fqgouvea
December 20th, 2015, 07:55 AM
I'm giving my son an Eversharp Skyline and his wife a Parker Duofold ringtop. They both use fountain pens, but these will be their first vintage pens. For my son's father-in-law, I'm trying an old Danitrio (from when they made cheaper pens) in silver, with a bunch of cartridges to go with.

I don't expect to get any pens, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting some ink!

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

Mags
December 20th, 2015, 08:33 AM
I asked for some ink and some Blackwing pencils this year as the Can dollar is so slow US ordering and shipping is a killer. But if someone gives me a pen that will be awesome.

penwash
December 20th, 2015, 08:54 AM
I've given pens as gifts in the past; they were received politely but unenthusiastically. Unfortunately, for the people on my list, they are the kind of gift where you are trying to get them interested in something they currently don't care about. I'll be giving other things this year, and would be surprised to receive any myself.

There is only one person in my circle of friends who "might" be happy to see a fountain pen as a gift. And I'm currently adjusting the feed and nib of the pen I'm planning to give her, because it's a little vintage pen, and currently it would write two words and then hesitate, two more letters, hesitate, and so on.

I think a big part of why people don't get why we like fountain pens is because they have no idea what to do with it.

Therefore showing the people around us what we do with the fountain pen is just as important as giving them one, if our hope is to "share the goodness."

MelG
December 30th, 2015, 09:56 AM
I asked for some ink and some Blackwing pencils this year as the Can dollar is so slow US ordering and shipping is a killer. But if someone gives me a pen that will be awesome.
Try www.stylo.ca and www.wonderpens.ca. I'm just starting out in this horribly addictive past time. There's also one in Alberta, called Stylus.

Mags
December 31st, 2015, 03:45 AM
Try www.stylo.ca and www.wonderpens.ca. I'm just starting out in this horribly addictive past time. There's also one in Alberta, called Stylus.

I was given the ink and pencils asked for ordered from WonderPens and shipped out by Liz and Jon. Stylo is always a tougher shopping experience when I start looking at the higher end items. The discounts help but when the plus $500 items are looked at you have to pause and say.....hey it is on sale but I am still looking at $500 pens.

MelG
January 1st, 2016, 05:26 PM

I was given the ink and pencils asked for ordered from WonderPens and shipped out by Liz and Jon. Stylo is always a tougher shopping experience when I start looking at the higher end items. The discounts help but when the plus $500 items are looked at you have to pause and say.....hey it is on sale but I am still looking at $500 pens.
But it's lovely eye candy [emoji1]

Mags
January 1st, 2016, 09:06 PM
MelG ????

MelG
January 5th, 2016, 05:53 PM
MelG ????
I know "eye candy" is usually referencing the sex/gender that a particular individual is attracted to. However, I tend to use it more in terms of pretty things that I might want to own/buy :)

fqgouvea
January 6th, 2016, 04:11 PM
I did get ink: two different colors of bulletproof Noodlers. Apparently when I complained about not having ink I could use to address envelopes, both my sons listened.

The surprise was that I also got paper, hand decorated by on of my co-grandparents (the mother of my daughter-in-law is what I mean - no good word for that). Very nice.

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

Oldgoatskc
January 13th, 2016, 08:24 AM
My daughter gave me a Platinum 3776 medium nib in Bourgogne. First thing it was used for was a snail mail thank you note to her!

TAYLORPUPPY
February 6th, 2016, 11:27 PM
This was a fun Christmas. My next door neighbor plays for the Jaguars. I gave him and his wife fountain pens. I gave fountain pens to several different family members. And I was the happy recipient of 2, from you wife.