PDA

View Full Version : Incredible Finds - well Maybe. Heres the Story.

babbaboooey
November 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM
So my cousin calls today. He tells me that he went to an estate sale and saw some pens. Knowing that i collect fp pens, he just bought them. He starts describing the first. "It has a sloped barrel black cap hooded nib" Ok - so he is a little goofy and doesn't have a smartphone. I eventually figure out with a bit more filling in the blanks its a Silver black barrel PARKER 51!

2nd item he brings up is a Sheaffer's. I'm thinking its either a PFM or he really had something. Again he starts describing it. Red, striped small stripes running vertical different mosaic color that looks like black cranberry and rose colored. Tear drop ball on clip and gold band 1cm up from the join point to the barrel. Still in a box. reads information with patent info on the side. I look it up and confirm its a Balance - color descriptions eventually lead me to a SHEAFFERS 350 ROSE GLOW!!!

3rd pen - a 34th squadron found pen by that point after 1.5 hours of getting detailed information I didn't have the energy to get much details about this.

4th item - unopened package of 4 dipnib pens. GOLD

Heres the kicker: My cousins out of pocket $10 bucks!! The old man dies and the family put everything into estate sale. Moral of the story, teach your kids about pens and what they mean to you so they dont end up in an estate sale. I took my 4 year old daughter tonight and let her practice nib technique with a set of Pilot Varisty's!!!!! There is a investment in my pen collection!

I will post actual pictures when the pens arrive I should have them next week.

WOW this call made my week. My cousin should call more often!

fountainpenkid
November 10th, 2012, 08:18 PM
OMG! thats awesome!!

penultress
November 10th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Beautiful finds! I always wondered about estate finds, but for $10, you can take a chance!

dannzeman
November 12th, 2012, 12:05 PM
:jaw:

inky
November 12th, 2012, 01:07 PM
That is amazing! Great finds!

Bogon07
November 13th, 2012, 09:51 PM
I hope you've a nice Christmas present lined up for your cousin.

Good to see some pens from the sale going to some-one who appreciates them.
They'll have special history attached them now.

Petergly
November 14th, 2012, 01:54 AM
That's terrific! What's that term again? Oh, yes... Sumgai?

Regards,

Pete Mac in Melbourne

KrazyIvan
November 14th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Sumgai!

babbaboooey
November 18th, 2012, 06:09 AM
OK - So the Parker 51 is exactly how he described. However the Sheaffer is a Vac fill. The packing gaskets are trapped inside and the piston rod is in good shape. After reading on the net on replacement gaskets I think the best replacement options are cut your own kits. The problem I am having is removing the nib. I have read that the removal on the balance can be somewhat tricky and you have a 50% chance of breaking the nib. Anyone have any thoughts?

jar
November 18th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I have read that the removal on the balance can be somewhat tricky and you have a 50% chance of breaking the nib. Anyone have any thoughts?

I think that 50% estimate is being pretty optimistic. I'd get one of the folk that do Sheaffer Vacfill restores right to do the work. Gerry Berg or Ron Zorn would be my first choices.

dannzeman
November 18th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I think that 50% estimate is being pretty optimistic. I'd get one of the folk that do Sheaffer Vacfill restores right to do the work. Gerry Berg or Ron Zorn would be my first choices.

I would second this.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

snedwos
November 18th, 2012, 12:59 PM
$10? For the lot? Yeah, get it done by a pro, it still sounds like the stuff bargain dreams are made of.

babbaboooey
November 18th, 2012, 04:27 PM
How do I contact these people any one know any contact info?

geoduc
November 20th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Ron Zorn is Main Street Pens: http://www.mainstreetpens.com/index.htm

He does very high quality work and the price is reasonable. I've had him restore a couple of snorkels and a tip-dip for me. Just be prepared to wait a while as it will likely be several months before your pen makes it to the front of the repair line.

I haven't dealt with Gerry Berg and so cannot help with contact information for him. Good luck; sounds like you had quite a haul.

fountainpenkid
December 5th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Ron Zorn is Main Street Pens: http://www.mainstreetpens.com/index.htm

He does very high quality work and the price is reasonable. I've had him restore a couple of snorkels and a tip-dip for me. Just be prepared to wait a while as it will likely be several months before your pen makes it to the front of the repair line.

I haven't dealt with Gerry Berg and so cannot help with contact information for him. Good luck; sounds like you had quite a haul.

+1. He does a decent job, but the wait time is quite long.