PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a question

ardennes18
December 21st, 2015, 09:14 AM
Hello, my name is Chad and I'm from VA.

I have a pretty specific aim for joining this site. Selfishly, I am hoping one of you knowledgeable folks could help me out with pen identification. First and foremost, I'd like to learn what kind of pen I have here (I know it's not a ball-point, nor a fountain pen, but I'm at a loss after that). So if I can only get that, you would help me immensely! Second, if anyone had any knowledge of this pen's manufacturer or any additional information someone may have, I'd be blown away.

I'm writing a story about how this pen came back to my family. Once I'm done, I hope to at least get it published in a local newspaper for posterity sake for my family. The pen was handed down from my grandfather. Who, we found out subsequently, lifted if off of a German in WWII.

About the pen:
It appears to have green ink inside and on the outside the following is imprinted: "National 550" "Tinten Schreiber."

I've done some Internet searches for National 550 and have gotten nothing. I'm guessing since it was from the 40's, there is now not a ton of information about it. I've also uploaded a picture to help with typing.

I would be most grateful for any assistance you fink folks may be able to render. Thanks!

Wile E Coyote
December 21st, 2015, 09:36 AM
Welcome and here's my 2 cents:

What you have is a stylographic pen. They were often used, until fairly recently, for drafting. A modern version would be a Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph or a Staedtler Marsmatic. They can be used for regular writing but need to be held nearly vertical to the paper surface.

Your's is exactly what it says it is: a National 550 "Ink Pen." From the looks of it, probably a piston filler.

If you want to use it, try to clean it with water or a very weak (10 parts water:1 part ammonia) ammonia solution. Hopefully, the piston works and you can draw up some water into the barrel and let it soak for a couple of days to dissolve any dried ink. If drafting or india ink was used it may need professional help.

Sailor Kenshin
December 21st, 2015, 09:38 AM
The marble background is obscuring the nib. Better pics might be helpful.

Do you know what kind of filling system it has? Is there a lever, or a piston? You say it contains green ink, so maybe a writing sample will help us ID the thing.

My guess is that it is some sort of felt-tip marker, but I don't know what era or anything about the make. I'm sure someone else here will know more.

jar
December 21st, 2015, 09:45 AM
Stylograph as posted above. Also known as drafting or technical pens. Their purpose was to put down uniform lines (http://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-to-technical-pens/pt/436) and printing and so came in a variety of precise widths.

So welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. By the way, Petersburg was once a major fountain pen making town.

Sailor Kenshin
December 21st, 2015, 09:53 AM
Welcome and here's my 2 cents:

What you have is a stylographic pen. They were often used, until fairly recently, for drafting. A modern version would be a Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph or a Staedtler Marsmatic. They can be used for regular writing but need to be held nearly vertical to the paper surface.

Your's is exactly what it says it is: a National 550 "Ink Pen." From the looks of it, probably a piston filler.

If you want to use it, try to clean it with water or a very weak (10 parts water:1 part ammonia) ammonia solution. Hopefully, the piston works and you can draw up some water into the barrel and let it soak for a couple of days to dissolve any dried ink. If drafting or india ink was used it may need professional help.

Now that you 'pointed' it out, I think I see the needle tip, and I agree, it's a stylographic pen.

Jeph
December 21st, 2015, 10:12 AM
:welcome: And yes, old German stylographic as already explained.

Hawk
December 21st, 2015, 12:40 PM
Welcome. You already received some good advice from others so I'll keep quiet.

ardennes18
December 21st, 2015, 02:44 PM
This is fantastic everyone! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and assistance!

Wahl
December 22nd, 2015, 01:55 PM
Hi Chad, :welcome:

Marsilius
December 28th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Welcome!

Waltman
January 4th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Welcome.....there are many nice and knowledgeable people here, enjoy!
Walt