PDA

View Full Version : Brown ink recommendation?

biscuit
December 21st, 2015, 12:14 PM
I'm looking for a nice looking, water resistant, brown that shades. I've found several from Noodler's that l might order samples for (kiowa pecan, #41, golden brown, black swan in english roses) but I wonder if there are offerings from other brands I should consider?

Thanks!

top pen
December 21st, 2015, 02:02 PM
I like j herbin lie de the there is also Mont Blanc Toffee Brown which others seem to like a lot. Anderson pens sell both.

Chrissy
December 21st, 2015, 02:07 PM
+1 for Montblanc Toffee Brown

inklord
December 21st, 2015, 04:05 PM
I like j herbin lie de the there is also Mont Blanc Toffee Brown which others seem to like a lot. Anderson pens sell both.

I'd second that and would add three inks from Franklin-Christoph: "Terra Firma" (a dark terracotta), "Dark Chocolate" (dark, cooler brown), and "Brown 732" (732 is the Pantone number for this one). Diamine "Oxblood" is a marvelous red brown with great depth and character. For a more grey brown, Pilot Iroshizuku "Yama Guri" and Sailor ""Doyou" are hard to beat, and even more grey is Rohrer&Klingner "Sepia" (this is my personal favorite together with "Dark Chocolate").

Lady Onogaro
December 21st, 2015, 06:18 PM
Larry at Dromgoole's recommended Private Reserve Dark Chocolate. I don't know if it shades, though. I ended up buying the Toffee Brown, though.

TSherbs
December 21st, 2015, 06:25 PM
Noodler's Golden Brown is the only one I've stuck with over time.

Scooby921
December 22nd, 2015, 08:20 AM

I'd second that and would add three inks from Franklin-Christoph: "Terra Firma" (a dark terracotta), "Dark Chocolate" (dark, cooler brown), and "Brown 732" (732 is the Pantone number for this one). Diamine "Oxblood" is a marvelous red brown with great depth and character. For a more grey brown, Pilot Iroshizuku "Yama Guri" and Sailor ""Doyou" are hard to beat, and even more grey is Rohrer&Klingner "Sepia" (this is my personal favorite together with "Dark Chocolate").
+1 for Brown 732. Nice tone with rather nice shading. It writes so smoothly as well.

inklord
December 22nd, 2015, 10:22 AM

+1 for Brown 732. Nice tone with rather nice shading. It writes so smoothly as well.
All these are available at Anderson's btw.

biscuit
December 22nd, 2015, 08:23 PM
Looks like a nice variety of attractive shading browns. I think many/most are not so water resistant, but there are definitely a few that I'd like to try anyway. Thank you all for the suggestions!

Haga888
December 23rd, 2015, 06:43 AM
Here are a few browns I have inked up. Photo is not great but you can kind of see the shade differences. The PI Ina-ho is the only one I don't think I like. I lean toward more saturated colours.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/23/07b06efd870657f7311ed8d35a4cf203.jpg

Scooby921
December 24th, 2015, 08:16 AM
I tried to do a permanence test with the F-C Brown 732. Not worth posting. The brown ink is still on the paper, but every letter is now its own chromatographic blob. This was in Leuchtturm paper, which I think is pretty crappy in the first place. It was just the one notebook within reach with perforated pages. I'm going to try again with a few other papers we have around the house. I'll also see what other browns naimitsu has lying around. I think she keeps Bung Box Piano Mahogany in a pen.

donmcnel
March 21st, 2016, 09:31 AM
I think that Iroshizuku tsukushi (Horsetail) is a very well behaved, nice looking brown.

biscuit
March 26th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Here's a quick update on my brown ink search...

Since I was looking for a water resistant ink, my final choices were somewhat limited. I considered Brown #41, Kiowa Pecan, Golden Brown and Black Swan in English Roses from Noodler's, along with R&K Sepia and De Atramentis Document Brown. I liked the appearance of Kiowa Pecan but a portion of the color lifts when it gets wet. The most water-fast were definitely #41 and the De Atramentis. I liked the color/shading of #41 better but it was a bit harder to clean out of pens (it left a black component on nib and feed that resisted flushing). I think I will probably go with the #41 and use it in pens that I can completely disassemble.

Also, although not really a brown brown, I did like the R&K Sepia -- it has a nice old timey look, especially in a pen with a some flex.

Jolltax
March 31st, 2016, 07:44 AM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/Jolltax/Pen%20Stuff/choc_zpsf1ii137b.jpg

fountainpagan
March 31st, 2016, 08:34 AM
Ancient Copper (Diamine), Waterman Havane a nice redish Brown, Pelikan 4001 Braun light Brown, Iroshizuku Yama Guri, Hazelnut Brown Graf Von Faber Castell, KWZ Brown #2 a little orange Brown, with great nuances and also KWZ Dark Brown, very dark chocolat Brown but with rich nuances.