PDA

View Full Version : Brands/types of silicon grease? (For eyedroppers)

katherine
December 21st, 2015, 03:46 PM
Hey fpgeeks,

I dug out the free pen that came a bottle of Noodler's ink I ordered a while back. As the internet has observed, it's a Platinum Preppy (surprise!). I put some pink ink in it and it's quite pretty... Now I'd like to turn my Noodler's Ahab into an eyedropper, but need some silicon grease.

Other than buying from Goulet (nothing against them, just feels a little silly for $3 in grease) -- what "kind" of silicon grease do I want? Does it need to be food grade? I figure I can look the next time I'm at Home Depot or a hardware store.

Thanks!

carlos.q
December 21st, 2015, 04:02 PM
I got mine at a dive shop and it cost $5. That was 3 years ago and I've used less than half.

Jon Szanto
December 21st, 2015, 04:34 PM
Yep. I got a big (little) tub of the stuff at a major hardware store in the plumbing area, 100% silicon grease, I'll never use it up in my lifetime, only a couple bucks. I still just refill the little container I originally bought from Goulet about 5 years ago.

katherine
December 21st, 2015, 06:12 PM
Sounds like anything that's "100% silicone grease" is fine?

Home Depot, here I come! Well, when it stops raining so hard.

mhosea
December 21st, 2015, 07:38 PM
It will be fine, but silicone grease can be different thickness. I have a tub of Trident brand. It's probably better for sealing ED pens than lubricating pistons because of its thickness.

Another thing that will work fine, if not better, is a rosin and castor oil blend to a suitable thickness. We usually make a thick batch as a thread sealant, but a with a little larger oil-to-rosin ratio, you won't need to heat it to unscrew the section.

KBeezie
December 24th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Sounds like anything that's "100% silicone grease" is fine?

Home Depot, here I come! Well, when it stops raining so hard.

Oddly I couldn't find it at a Home Depot or Lowes, but rather I found a small jar from Ace Hardware for about $4, while it says 90% it's 90% pure silicone and 10% silicone based thickener so that it's not all liquid-runny.

The Dive Shops have the ones that are more or less food-grade (ie: considered safe if ingested).

What you want to avoid is anything that is stated to have any part petroleum.

Hawk
December 25th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Years ago, I went to the chem lab at the place I worked and asked them for some. I got a large, partially used tube that they used for 'greasing their chemistry stuff'.

Tiggercat
December 26th, 2015, 04:36 AM
I have had success with Honda Shin-Etsu grease. I wouldn't necessarily buy it just for pens, but if you already have some, give it a try.

KBeezie
December 26th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I have had success with Honda Shin-Etsu grease. I wouldn't necessarily buy it just for pens, but if you already have some, give it a try.

The fact that the warning label says to avoid contact with eyes or prolonged/repeated contact with skin tells me that it may contain not only petroleum based chemicals but other stuff you may not want near a pen especially older pens. Pure silicone grease doesn't have that kind of warning.

Tiggercat
December 26th, 2015, 11:17 AM
It is definitely a mixture, but the MSDS shows no evidence of petroleum products. It is an "organopolysiloxane mixture". That being said, I also have a tub of pure silicone grease, and maybe should stick to that.

KBeezie
December 26th, 2015, 12:56 PM
It is definitely a mixture, but the MSDS shows no evidence of petroleum products. It is an "organopolysiloxane mixture". That being said, I also have a tub of pure silicone grease, and maybe should stick to that.

The warning to avoid frequent/regular exposure to skin would be the other reason I'd avoid, considering where your fingers are close to when writing (hard to say without knowing the nature of the exposure, or how regular is harmful). If you can't use it near your skin, you shouldn't use it in a writing instrument.

writingrav
December 28th, 2015, 02:40 PM
I just came home from Home Depot. I bought a small, round container of silicone grease for 3.50. It does not give a volume, but I'd say it is three to four times the size of a Goulet container, same round shape. There were larger ones, but my life expectancy is limited.

katherine
December 28th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Good to know! I still haven't made it to HD, but good to know they'll likely have it when I do. /lazy

RonLyke
January 17th, 2016, 07:11 PM
For scuba stuff.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aqusg25/silicone-grease-025-fl-oz-74-ml-jar