PDA

View Full Version : Watery ink

kevinplarson
December 21st, 2015, 08:59 PM
I know this is a newbie question. I'm a newbie. :)

I had a black cartridge in my Metropolitan. I switched to blue. Then I had blue/black ink. I decided to flush the nib. Now I have watery, light blue. And I've been using it a lot thinking it would get better. It really hasn't. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks.

Dreck
December 21st, 2015, 09:19 PM
Have you tried blowing the excess water out of the nib/feed and drying it off? A little water goes a long way.

necrotic
December 21st, 2015, 09:21 PM
The feed on the metropolitan can hold a lot of ink and/or water. If you don't let the feed dry out before popping in a new cartridge, you can have a washed out watery look for awhile. This is not as much of a problem if you use the cartridge convertor. Keep writing, it will get darker

stub
December 23rd, 2015, 07:42 AM
when you clean out the pen let it dry, nib down in a cup, filled with tissues. or at least draw out some of the excess water by holding the nib and feed against a tissue.

Jon Szanto
December 23rd, 2015, 10:47 AM
And with a pen like the Metro (and this may look odd, so don't do it around people who will bug you about it, you can blow out the excess water. Just remove the cartridge, rinse with water (I like to hold the section (the part that screws off that holds the nib and the feed) under running water with the back end up, and the water running out the nib), and when it seems clear, then hold it over the sink, put the open end of the section to your lips and blow through it like a trumpet. After that, dry it off with a paper towel, and that should have gotten most all of the moisture out.

Someone suggested inverting the pen in a cup with tissues, which is also a great way (especially with pens that can't be taken apart), just takes longer. Another way - but you have to be careful! - it to wrap tissue or paper towel around the nib (while attached to pen) and while holding the end of the pen barrel, quickly flick the pen, trying to "shake" the water out. You want to do this with a good amount of effort, so hold on to the pen - you don't want it flying out of your hand like a dart.

Any of these ways should avoid you diluting your next ink experience.

kevinplarson
December 25th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Thanks, folks!

Marsilius
December 25th, 2015, 06:30 PM
And with a pen like the Metro (and this may look odd, so don't do it around people who will bug you about it, you can blow out the excess water. Just remove the cartridge, rinse with water (I like to hold the section (the part that screws off that holds the nib and the feed) under running water with the back end up, and the water running out the nib), and when it seems clear, then hold it over the sink, put the open end of the section to your lips and blow through it like a trumpet. After that, dry it off with a paper towel, and that should have gotten most all of the moisture out.
Also a technique used by bassoonists and other wind players, and hopefully not in your direction. Bocal juice can be a touch gamey.