PDA

View Full Version : Kaweco Sport Converter

wangminze
December 21st, 2015, 11:22 PM
Real quick guys, since the Sport takes standard converters, can I use Jinhao ones in them? I thought Sailor used standard till I read their's are actually an exception...

Chrissy
December 22nd, 2015, 12:21 AM
I tried a Jinhao and it didn't fit. It isn't just the length that's the problem, the Kaweco converter has a smaller hole.

i heard that some Monteverde converters fit Kaweco Sports, but my supplier sent me a Monteverde mini converter (http://www.penheaven.co.uk/monteverde-mini-ink-converter?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=COf5_vX17skCFdEYGwod6PEG1w) that would be OK for length, but drops off the nipple inside the section, The nipple in the pen is a slightly smaller diameter than the hole in this Monteverde mini converter.

Because I'm currently doing reviews for Kaweco pens, and a friend on here has also loaned me a few, I had the luxury of being able to try this Monteverde mini converter in 24 different Kaweco pens or nib units, and I can confirm it fell out of every one.

I don't particularly like the Kaweco squeeze converter for Sport pens, but at least it fits really firmly.

wangminze
December 22nd, 2015, 12:23 AM
Seems like a complicated scenario... Thanks for letting me know! I might just go with an eye dropper conversion.

Chrissy
December 22nd, 2015, 12:26 AM
Seems like a complicated scenario... Thanks for letting me know! I might just go with an eye dropper conversion.

Yes, it's quite annoying really. And it's weird, since Kaweco cartridges are standard International size, as are Monteverde converters. Side by side, under a loupe, there are differences though.

wangminze
December 22nd, 2015, 12:29 AM
It seems like a small way to earn them a few more bucks!
Have you by any chance tried Goulet Pens' standard converter or know if they fit on the Sports?

KBeezie
December 22nd, 2015, 01:59 AM
I once tried a Templar Skinny-Mini converter in an AL-Sport... to say the least it was messy as hell to use. And I've not seen any other converter options that were effective, given the pain, it was just best to syringe fill a cartridge (or if using a regular sport, to eye dropper filler).

Chrissy
December 22nd, 2015, 10:29 AM
Have you by any chance tried Goulet Pens' standard converter or know if they fit on the Sports?

I haven't tried one I'm afraid, so I don't know. If anyone else has I hope that they might post their results here.

migo984
December 22nd, 2015, 01:19 PM
I currently have three Monteverde mini converters in different Kawecos and they all fit well.

Chrissy
December 22nd, 2015, 02:20 PM

I looked on the Goulet's Pens (http://www.gouletpens.com/mv31072/p/MV31072) site and just happened to spot that 4 people who reviewed the Monteverde mini converter MV31072 say that it doesn't fit Kaweco pens.

I didn't find any reviews for any other converters on their site that mentioned whether they fit Kaweco pens or not.

Laura N
December 22nd, 2015, 02:31 PM

I looked on the Goulet's Pens (http://www.gouletpens.com/mv31072/p/MV31072) site and just happened to spot that 4 people who reviewed the Monteverde mini converter MV31072 say that it doesn't fit Kaweco pens.

I didn't find any reviews for any other converters on their site that mentioned whether they fit Kaweco pens or not.

I think I might have that Monteverde mini converter, although I got it from JetPens, here (http://www.jetpens.com/Monteverde-Mini-Fountain-Pen-Converter/pd/10186), and I use it in my JetPens Chibi. And you know, I just tried mine in a Kaweco Classic Sport, and it does fit. However, I never knew that because I just use the Kaweco Sport converter. I think Kaweco's Sport converter works great, as long as you fill from a syringe and then wet the feed.

There's a thread about that, but I don't see it, offhand.

wangminze
December 22nd, 2015, 02:39 PM
Man this is so much more complicated than I thought. Look at the NOTE in the description. [emoji28]
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/22/5f72e19f08c0193ea2989e2b96ca2946.jpg

Chrissy
December 22nd, 2015, 02:45 PM

I think I might have that Monteverde mini converter, although I got it from JetPens, here (http://www.jetpens.com/Monteverde-Mini-Fountain-Pen-Converter/pd/10186), and I use it in my JetPens Chibi. And you know, I just tried mine in a Kaweco Classic Sport, and it does fit. However, I never knew that because I just use the Kaweco Sport converter. I think Kaweco's Sport converter works great, as long as you fill from a syringe and then wet the feed.

There's a thread about that, but I don't see it, offhand.

I also followed the link to Jet Pens, and found where it says on that page "Note: Does not fit Kaweco Sport pens."

So far as length is concerned it fits, in that it allows the barrel to screw on, but it's not tight enough on the nipple in the nib section. It drops off when you shake the pen.

I'm not prepared to use one in any of my Kaweco Sport pens.

migo984
December 22nd, 2015, 03:03 PM
Converter compatibility is rarely a simple thing. I usually ignore sellers and their advice on converters; I've proved them wrong many times. I must admit for a while I nearly doubted myself in the Kaweco posts on here - every time I said my Monteverde converters fitted, I was told by others on here that they categorically don't'. But I double-checked and I'm sorry but that's just plain wrong - I use them successfully, without problems, and have done repeatedly, in different pens. I do know that some find the fit to be inconsistent between individual converters, due to the short length of the connector in the Kawecos. I don't have that problem. As a long-time user of Kawecos I'm happy with my Monteverde converters.

I have a strategy of trying all kinds of converters in my pens. For example, I was told there were no converters that fit my 1960s Geha pen. It takes international cartridges but in REVERSE! It is a very strange way of fitting them. So I tried all my converters and guess what? The Pilot CON50 fits like the proverbial glove - absolutely perfect fit.

So I'm afraid I choose to ignore sellers and others advice and go on my own actual, in-the-hand experience, which is that my 3 Monteverde converters work very well indeed in my Kawecos.

KBeezie
December 22nd, 2015, 06:16 PM
I've used the Monteverde Mini converter before, while the Ice Sport I had at the time had enough barrel length to allow the plunger to extend, the nipple on the brand new converter was far too loose to stay on the Kaweco. I've noticed the same problem with faber-castell, some converters just won't snap onto the nipple inside the grip.

Jon Szanto
December 22nd, 2015, 06:38 PM
I believe both groups of people: those for whom the converter works, and those for whom they don't. And I don't believe that either is wrong, and I do believe that it all has to do with manufacture variations. After all, what else could explain it?

So don't argue with each other, and any new people should just try a converter for themselves. They'll find out, soon enough, if it works for their pen.

KBeezie
December 22nd, 2015, 09:34 PM
Seems like a waste of $4-5 if it doesn't. But I guess that's the gamble we have in mass produced items that are not specifically guaranteed to work across brands.

Jon Szanto
December 22nd, 2015, 09:40 PM
Seems like a waste of $4-5 if it doesn't. But I guess that's the gamble we have in mass produced items that are not specifically guaranteed to work across brands.

You've answered your own question. Really, what alternative is there but to try? (Yoda would kill me for saying that...)

Chrissy
December 22nd, 2015, 11:18 PM
Maybe there is a simple explanation? It's possible that there is an earlier version that may fit while the current version doesn't or vice versa?

The one I received is made from hard, clear plastic, while it looks like it's made from softer 'converter type' plastic in some pictures. The differences in the materials they may be made from would potentially allow for the differences in whether they may fit tighter or looser. After all International cartridges fit both brands.

Writers Bloc (http://reviews.shopwritersbloc.com/fountain-pens/4-ways-to-use-bottled-ink-in-a-kaweco-sport-pen.html) says you need to wrap the end in tape to make it fit.

If people want to spend $4 or $5 to try one and don't mind whether the one they receive fits or not, that's their choice. The option is to stick with the Kaweco squeeze converter for Sport pens. Because it's a 'squeezy' version, it's not perfect but at least it fits tightly and won't drop out.

migo984
December 22nd, 2015, 11:32 PM
So don't argue with each other, and any new people should just try a converter for themselves. They'll find out, soon enough, if it works for their pen.

Sorry, but I won't be told I'm categorically wrong when I have had an opposite experience. At least I don't try to give people advice about things I have no or little real knowledge or experience of, which happens oh so often on pen forums.

wangminze
December 22nd, 2015, 11:47 PM
Guys, keep calm and write on... I can't even imagine this discussion for a full size converter [emoji39]
Thanks for everyone's input on this topic! Merry Christmas everyone!

Jon Szanto
December 22nd, 2015, 11:56 PM
Sorry, but I won't be told I'm categorically wrong when I have had an opposite experience. At least I don't try to give people advice about things I have no or little real knowledge or experience of, which happens oh so often on pen forums.

I must be missing something. My Internet hasn't been working well tonight, and for a while. Maybe that's it.

But I haven't seen anyone say you were categorically wrong. At all. And I don't see anyone giving any manner of absolute advice, having not had at least some experience. What I see is a half-dozen or so people comparing their use of a particular converter with a particular pen and receiving different results. Maybe I used the wrong word when I said "argue". It's just not an issue of us vs. them, it's just people trying to find a solution to a pen problem.

I only know this: it makes me want to buy a Kaweco Sport and a Monteverdi mini-converter (no, wait! I have one in my Sheaffer TRZ!!!) and see if it works for myself! But that will have to wait until after the holidays.

Unless I can borrow my friend's... ;)

Chrissy
December 23rd, 2015, 12:09 AM

I must be missing something. My Internet hasn't been working well tonight, and for a while. Maybe that's it.

But I haven't seen anyone say you were categorically wrong. At all. And I don't see anyone giving any manner of absolute advice, having not had at least some experience. What I see is a half-dozen or so people comparing their use of a particular converter with a particular pen and receiving different results. Maybe I used the wrong word when I said "argue". It's just not an issue of us vs. them, it's just people trying to find a solution to a pen problem.

I only know this: it makes me want to buy a Kaweco Sport and a Monteverdi mini-converter (no, wait! I have one in my Sheaffer TRZ!!!) and see if it works for myself! But that will have to wait until after the holidays.

You are absolutely correct Jon. :)

migo984
December 23rd, 2015, 12:24 AM

Yes it was said categorically that they don't work.

Oh to be a teenager ..............Whatever. I'll let you all bat back & forth on this one. Bored now.
(Perhaps I am a teenager.......?)

Chrissy
December 23rd, 2015, 12:27 AM
All seems to be explained in SBRE Brown's YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdZ3t5KDkGw). He carefully shows and explains how although the Monteverde mini converter is a loose fit in the Kaweco Sport nib unit, it is held in position by the end of the barrel when the barrel is screwed back on. :)

Jon Szanto
December 23rd, 2015, 12:34 AM
Yes it was said categorically that they don't work.

Yes. Someone posted a thing that somewhere on the Internet someone said that those converters don't work in those pens. No one told you that you were categorically wrong. Nothing was directed at you, and no one was taking issue with it working for you. I think a reasonable reading of this thread would come to this conclusion; I know it certainly seems that way to me.

Oh to be a teenager ..............

Well, I'm 62. I don't know whether you are flattering me or insulting me. I think neither, but I know one thing: if I was a teenager, I wouldn't be feeling like it's past my bedtime.

Nite, all. :)

Jon Szanto
December 23rd, 2015, 12:35 AM
All seems to be explained in SBRE Brown's YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdZ3t5KDkGw). He carefully shows and explains how although the Monteverde mini converter is a loose fit in the Kaweco Sport nib unit, it is held in position by the end of the barrel when the barrel is screwed back on. :)

You know, if you just would have just gone back in time and posted that as the 2nd post in the thread, you could have saved us all the angst!!! :)

migo984
December 23rd, 2015, 12:36 AM
Yes. Someone posted a thing that somewhere on the Internet someone said that those converters don't work in those pens. No one told you that you were categorically wrong. Nothing was directed at you, and no one was taking issue with it working for you. I think a reasonable reading of this thread would come to this conclusion; I know it certainly seems that way to me.

Oh to be a teenager ..............

Well, I'm 62. I don't know whether you are flattering me or insulting me. I think neither, but I know one thing: if I was a teenager, I wouldn't be feeling like it's past my bedtime.

Nite, all. :)

No I don't insult people. But if I'm being honest I feel like I'm being lectured at now. I can read a thread you know.

By the way, mine fits without the barrel. And I posted a pic to show that. Nite.

Laura N
December 23rd, 2015, 07:08 AM
It looks like everyone is just trying to help the OP by sharing different results.

I went back and double-checked my Monteverde mini-converter. Sure enough, it fits very snugly and tightly onto a Kaweco Sport Classic demonstrator. But what explains other people getting different results? I believe people who are reporting bad results. Maybe my test was too hasty? So I pulled if off and tested it on a second Sport. Here the results were entirely different: the converter fits but does not attach tightly to that one, and ink surely would leak. Then I pulled it off and attached the mini converter to a third Sport. Very nice and tight fit. A fourth Sport. Not as tight, but it seems like it might hold if you wanted to risk it.

I used the same mini converter on four different Kaweco Classic Sports and got three different results. Perhaps Sports may have different manufacturing tolerances or slightly different converter attachment mechanisms over time. So the non-manufacturer converter fits some, but not others. That shouldn't be unexpected when you're talking about using something not for its intended purpose: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Thus JetPens warns people not to buy it for a Kaweco Sport, so as not to have to deal with a 25 to 50 percent return rate.

The Kaweco Sport's own converter fits all of my Sports. That's what I would recommend, and that's what I use.

reprieve
December 23rd, 2015, 07:43 AM
It looks like everyone is just trying to help the OP by sharing different results.

I went back and double-checked my Monteverde mini-converter. Sure enough, it fits very snugly and tightly onto a Kaweco Sport Classic demonstrator. But what explains other people getting different results? I believe people who are reporting bad results. Maybe my test was too tasty? So I pulled if off and tested it on a second Sport. Here the results were entirely different: the converter fits but does not attach tightly to that one, and ink surely would leak. Then I pulled it off and attached the mini converter to a third Sport. Very nice and tight fit. A fourth Sport. Not as tight, but it seems like it might hold if you wanted to risk it.

I've actually had this experience with cartridges.

I have a stash of old Montblanc carts (Racing Green and the original-formula Violet and Burgundy) which I like to use in my Sports. However, bizarrely, in one of my pens--my raw AL Sport--the Montblanc cartridges just don't fit. Kaweco and Diamine and Herbin cartridges fit perfectly. The Montblanc carts won't snap into place properly on that one pen. They're too loose. Yet the same Montblanc cartridge will fit fine in my mint Skyline Sport. The Montblanc carts are the standard international size and look exactly the same. It makes no sense. Until I read this thread about the converters, I thought my experience was just an anomaly.

Kaputnik
December 23rd, 2015, 02:35 PM
Is it possible that there are different plastic Sports with different dimensions out there? There was a discussion of Kaweco converters in another thread, in the course of which it emerged that there are two versions of those. There's an older version that I have, mostly enclosed with a pressure bar, and a newer version with the sac completely exposed. As I recall, some people were claiming that the new converter would actually not fit in the older pens. And the old version was practically useless as far as my experience goes. It would draw hardly any ink through the nib, while filling a converter with a syringe and then installing it defeats the purpose of a converter, IMHO.

I do have two older Classic Sports, with a total of four sections to use among them. Since I also have a Monteverde mini-converter, I tried it in all four sections. It was so loose on three of them that there would be no point in even trying it with ink. It was a good fit on the fourth, but that's a rollerball section that I long ago decided I had no use for. I'd bought a fountain pen section to replace it. I didn't even check if the length was right for the barrel.

I don't use these Kawecos very often anyway; they're on my short list for giving away if I can ever get a friend interested in trying a fountain pen. If I do want to use them, eyedroppering the barrel has worked (but you can't do that with the metal versions), or I'd just use a short cartridge, refilled or not.

So that's my experience, which, as I hope we've established, doesn't prove how any of this would work out for somebody else. ;) Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys their holidays, and finds some pen and filling system that is right for them.:cheers:

mrcharlie
December 24th, 2015, 02:39 AM
Kawecos are not the only pens like this; the feed post on my Pelikan Future is a little on the thin side and I wouldn't trust any brand of cart in it without the second "spare" cartridge in the barrel to support it. I've been told many Pelikanos and Pelikano Jrs (if not all) are also like this. The barrels of those pens are made to exactly fit a Pelikan "giant" cartridge or two shorts back to back so generally it isn't a problem.

RonLyke
December 29th, 2015, 09:52 AM
I did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl92XmaQ3Hg

It's easy & works great.

Chrissy
December 29th, 2015, 10:03 AM
If I was going to have to use a squeeze filler method, I would just stick with the Kaweco squeezy converter. At least it's transparent and you can see how much ink is left in there.

I sometimes change inks before I use a cartridge full.