PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Aurora 88- A Review

fountainpenkid
November 11th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Well, I've finally decided to review this pen, because it seems that there aren't many reviews of it out there...and this pen deserves some more "press."
Note that I've had three A88's, and so this review will try to blend the two experiences into a overall "what to expect" sort of thing.

Introduction: This pen was designed by industrial designer Marcello Nizzoli with one purpose: to compete with the world famous Parker "51." The pen, released in 1946, definitely did this, selling many millions of pens, each labeled with its serial number under the grip section. For an incredible and detailed history of the pen...etc, see here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/111001-the-aurora-88-dynasty/
Fist Impressions: None of the 88s I've had came in mint/boxed condition, but from the pictures, the vintage 88's packaging is quite cool: If you are lucky enough to get one boxed, it would look something like this: 1459(credits to Dan for the picture!). This is quite distinctive and has some sort of a "cool" factor when compared with the classic clam shell cases that were common among other pens of this time. The pen immediately gives you an impression of quality; from the nice size to the nice weight.
Inked: Perhaps the most unique thing about the 88 (and to a lesser extent its successors) is its nib. Many sport semi flexible nibs, and if you do some searching, you can find some with full flex. From my experience, most nibs tend to be XF or fine, although Aurora did make a full range of sizes (and flexibilities) for this pen. My first 88 had a nail of a nib; wet and smooth, but a nail nonetheless. I then was kindly sent a superflex nib, but it has some tine problems that need some fixing. It was incredible when it did work, going from XF-BBB with just a light press.! My current 88 sports a nice a semi-flex medium that like the others, puts down a wet line. Although it is very hard to judge a used vintage nib (because it has been through so much that you don't know what kind of tampering might have happened), these seem to be, from my experience, wet writers. That last attribute reveals one of the major flaws of the Nizzoli 88's design: a feed which does not have enough surface area to properly regulate ink flow in varying heat/pressure conditions, which themselves are amplified by the lack of insulation the thin celluloid barrel provides. When you first ink the pen, it is very, very wet, but after a short while the flow calms down. Leave it in your pocket, or even just write with it on a hot day, and things can get inky and burpy. While carrying it around upright in a pen case usually mitigates the issue, I have found that it ultimately isn't reliable enough to be a "go everywhere" companion.
8.5/10

Filled: Another possible advantage over the P"51" comes here. This pen is a piston filler! The mechanism is relatively smooth, though not as good as my vintage/modern Pelikans. The ink capacity, because of this pen's nice P51-like size, is pretty high--about 2.2 ml from my testing. The piston is easy to grease if you seal the section with silicone grease instead of shellac. All my 88s have been set up this way and it has worked very well. I believe that some parts of the piston are made of brass and some parts of steel, which gives the pen, when unposted, a nice heft. There have been no demonstrator Aurora 88's (vintage, of course) that I know of, so I don't know if the piston movement is "maxed out" or not. At this size, it isn't such a huge deal. Repairability may be important to some, and for those who care, it is actually a pain to get to the piston mechanism. There is a little HR cap at the end of the piston knob which covers a small screw which holds the mechanism in place. To remove this cap, you have to pry it out with an exacto knife or pin, which leads to almost inevitable damage (however slight it may be).
7/10 (smoothness and design with foresight are lacking)
Quality: Though the 1st tier/2nd tier/3rd tier thing is a bit harder to define with non- American pens, I think it is safe to say that Aurora was a first-tier brand. The 88 certainly is a first tier pen--the engraved lines on the cap are very precise, the engraving on the section is quite precise as well (though not to the level of Parker's barrel engravings), and there are no loose parts anywhere. It is a solid feeling pen. The metal piston parts add a nice heft to the pen that makes it feel like a high-quality product. The celluloid barrel with the hard rubber grip section and piston knob is a very nice touch as well, as on some more oxidized examples they create a delightful brown-black contrast.
9/10

Comfort: This is another one of the great things about this pen: it is big, (not oversize, but large) and meaty; having a wider girth than the contemporary "51". The clutch ring is smooth, which means that gripping the pen there is comfortable. The grip section tapers slower than the "51" making the pen more comfortable to hold near the nib. The celluloid feels warm in the hand, making this pen a nice hand-warmer if you keep it in your pocket all day ;) ;) Unposted, this pen is very nicely balanced, and not small at all. Posting is great; much like capping, it deeply sets on to the barrel, but does add some weight to the back of the pen. I do not post this pen, and I think it would fit even large-sized hands well unposted. Posting may leave ink on the piston knob, which could stain your clothes if you are storing it in a pocket like I do.
8/10 (for possibly inky posting)

Design notes: This is a "designer pen," much like the Lamy 2000, Wahl-Eversharp Skyline, Aurora Hastil...etc. And it shows. Nizolli took the somewhat funky P"51" and made it a jewel--at least when the cap is on. The balance is perfect, from the similar curves on the cap end and the barrel end, to the matching rings on the piston and section knob. There is less step from cap to barrel capped/posted, making this pen much more like a torpedo than the Parker "51". The semi-hooded nib looks great, and the beautiful rounded triangle logo "Aurora 88" is a nice touch as well. The ink view on the pen works O.K on a well used example like mine, but for the near-clear ones (easily found in the $250 range), it must work much better. The other really nice thing about this pen is that it is relatively easily to take apart for servicing: it is easy to grease the piston, or replace the piston seal, or swap out a nib...etc. This is honestly one of my favorite designs of all time--for any object. Its simplicity and understated beauty is well...beautiful and inspiring to write with. Nizzoli created a masterpiece. The only quirk would be ink on the piston knob while posting.
9.95/10

Price: While common Parker "51"s can easily be found for $60, it is rare to find a working 88 for under $100. I think at under $200, the 88 is a great deal with a flexible nib. With a nail, I would be more hesitant to recommend it to anyone but those for whom the Parker "51" is uncomfortably thin.
9/10 for what I paid, 8/10 for what some might pay

Conclusion: The Nizzoli 88 triumphs most in its writing experience: it may not be as reliable or as well made as its American cousin, but it is truly unique when the nib meets the paper.

Thanks for Reading!

FP_GaF
November 11th, 2012, 01:03 PM
A very nice and thorough review! Well done indeed. Not easy to review such a pen icon but you've done a very good job. Keep up the good work.

fountainpenkid
November 11th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks so much!

Blackandwhite
June 5th, 2017, 03:42 PM
I found one at a flee market in France and I first thought: just another 51-knock-off . I cleaned it , inked it and "wow" was my first thought when I started writing. I believe mine has a fine, semi-flexible nib. It became one of my favourite pens.
Thanks a lot for Your review of this great Italian pen !

TSherbs
June 5th, 2017, 06:07 PM
great review, Kid

Jon Szanto
June 5th, 2017, 07:06 PM
I have two 88P models (F and M) and I love them to death. "Restrained elegance" is what comes to mind for me.

amk
June 7th, 2017, 03:10 AM
Lovely review. I have bought three 'doer-uppers' for very little. At first I was unimpressed - a little nib work and I found I was beginning to fall in love just a little bit! Taking them apart and cleaning up the ink window also works wonders for the aesthetic appeal of the pen. The little plastic seal that hides the piston screw is quite easy to replace if you have a leather punch of the right diameter and a piece of black plastic sheet.

Like the Parker 51, the 88 has various iterations and there's enough there for a collector to make a mini-collection of different caps, etc.

WARNING, ebonite is involved so don't use hot water on an Aurora 88.

vermillexlex
June 7th, 2017, 09:18 AM
How would you compare it to the modern Aurora Flexible nib? :)

Waski_the_Squirrel
June 7th, 2017, 09:01 PM
I love this pen! I got one this winter, and just a few days ago got a second one. So much fun! They're semi-hooded so they can have some flex. They're well weighted, they feel amazing in the hand, I love the reddish ink window, I love the piston... Just amazing.

Thank you for sharing it!

Out of curiosity: I know there is a color code for the dot on the piston turning knob. It is supposed to show which nib the pen has. I have one that is solid black and one that is black with a white center. Does anybody know what the color code is? I can't find it, just that there is a color code.

fountainpenkid
June 8th, 2017, 06:58 AM
How would you compare it to the modern Aurora Flexible nib? :)

I haven't had an 88 in my hands for a few months and have yet to try the nibs they just came out with. I'd suspect the vintage pens exhibit greater overall line variation.

Thanks for reviving this old thread!