PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Pennsylvania

mjh
April 25th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I'll start by confessing that I was lured in by the scent of Skrip and the visual appeal of an Esterbrook. But I'm also interested in information on fountain pens, I own a few and have always been fascinated by them. I just wish I could write a single word that another person can actually interpret. For now I can't, but at least the scribbled ink on the page looks prettier than it did when a disposable ballpoint. :)

-MJ

penspouse
April 25th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I think you'll find the more you write (you will because you will want to write more with fountain pens) the better your penmanship will become if you take the time to slow down and think about your letter formation.

SProctor
April 25th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Greeting MJ,

Welcome to FPGeeks! Its great to have you here with us! As for legible handwriting, its one of those things that takes some time and effort. Sure using a fountain pen will improve the overall look of it some, but to really improve it consistently, one must spend sometime practicing and focusing on it... I know that it has really helped mine so far, but of course I am no where near where I want to be with it. Good luck with it! I look forward to seeing you around here!

SMK
April 26th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Welcome to the forums mjh.

Handwriting Shmandwriting - as long as you enjoy using your FPs you're an FP Geek, and 'cool' by definition, to me.

mjh
April 26th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks everyone. I do spend a great deal more time writing now. I have a notebook that while I wouldn't call it a journal I have been writing in. I just write, usually at night when I'm taking the time to read and need a few minutes to rest my eyes I pick up the notebook and write. It is rather random,

"Oh, look at the dust on the TV. This ink is nice. I wonder if I have any chocolate fudge brownie ice cream left. I shouldn't eat it if I do. Is it going to rain? I wonder how much the humidity changes the drying time of this ink."

...and so on. A young Twilight fan's diary is probably more profound. :)

As to slowing down in my writing to improve penmanship, it IS something I am trying, but is difficult. At first it makes things worse, since I don't have the control I often rely on the 'flow' or inertia of my script to carry me through it. When I temper my speed I find that a line will go all over the place and an arc may become a very jagged behemoth. But I understand that practicing slowly is how I would gain control, it is just a matter of forcing myself not to give up on it.

-MJ

SProctor
April 26th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Greetings MJ,

Have you tried graph or even Seyes lined (French-lined) paper and focused on size & gauging each of your letters in proportion to the lines and the other letters? That exercise seemed to have helped me a lot... especially when I am "free writing" (what I call my random writing)... Just a couple of suggestions. Ann Finley over at FPN has a slant detection guide that helped me keep everything straight also. I have to admit though, the main thing is to enjoy what you are doing and don't get too serious about the details... they all will come after some time of doing it.

mjh
April 26th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I've wanted to try graph, in fact when I bought my staples notebook I had hoped they came in it. Things are a bit tight right now so I'm being very frugal. But that was definitely something I considered as well, thanks for the thought.

I looked back over there, Ann unfortunately had that hosted on geocities, which Yahoo retired. I'll send her a note.

-MJ

dannzeman
April 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM
MJ, Welcome! We're glad to have ya.
Sorry I'm a little late to the conversation. I know what it's like to want to write but not have anything meaningful to say. If you think your stuff is random you should read a few pages of my notebooks. While my wife sits and watches tv I'll just write down words I hear because I can't think of anything to write. And of course I don't want to stop writing because I love the feel the nib on Rhodia paper. So I just scribble. Oh well.

Just to help you get more familiar with the forum here, there are a couple of features I would like to point your attention to. Please read them and participate as they help make the forum a better community for everyone.
Rating Threads (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_rating_threads )
Reputation (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_reputation)

And if you have any questions check out the FAQ (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/faq.php). If that doesn't answer them feel free to contact one of the Admins.