PDA

View Full Version : Plating coming off M200 nib.

top pen
January 1st, 2016, 12:47 PM
It's just an observation (I don't really mind it happening) I realize the pens nib is only plated however I've only owned my M200 for 1 1/2 years and used it for 1 of those. However I'm just a little surprised at how quickly the plating has worn considering I've got a few other pens with plated nibs that show no signs of wear, that I've had for longer.

I was wonder is particularly thin on these pens? The wear is around the slit of the nib and the breather hole (I can upload a photo if in anyone's interested).

carlos.q
January 1st, 2016, 12:59 PM
It happens. If you clean the nib with ultrasound it will happen faster.

Jeph
January 2nd, 2016, 07:46 AM
Yes, it is very thin gold wash instead of true plating on the nibs. Almost any polishing will take it off. I have had several that I pulled from the EvilBay that just touching the nibs with my fingers took off the gold wash. But then, somehow, when I try to polish the rest off it gets stubborn. The ones that I have gotten new or unused have not had this problem, yet.

Nineninenine
March 27th, 2016, 07:59 AM
I'm glad someone asked about this because I've bought a couple of used M200s and have noticed this about the nibs (plating had already come off around the breather hole from the previous owner's use). It didn't bother me but the fact that I can see it continuing (lightly touching one of the nibs saw more rub off) does annoy.
Newbie question: can you replate these nibs, and does anyone do that? Or is it not worth it if you can buy a replacement nib unit for an M200 for under $50-$60? Less than that on eBay..

ac12
March 28th, 2016, 08:15 PM
I'm glad someone asked about this because I've bought a couple of used M200s and have noticed this about the nibs (plating had already come off around the breather hole from the previous owner's use). It didn't bother me but the fact that I can see it continuing (lightly touching one of the nibs saw more rub off) does annoy.
Newbie question: can you replate these nibs, and does anyone do that? Or is it not worth it if you can buy a replacement nib unit for an M200 for under $50-$60? Less than that on eBay..

You could replace it, but why? Maybe just for looks? I would not bother.

inklord
March 29th, 2016, 09:34 AM
The plating came off of all my M200 plated nibs within a year or two. You can actually upgrade the pen easily with a 14 k M400 nib, although it will double your investment. On the other hand, M200/205/215 nibs seem to be much more consistent in their performance than the Pelikan gold nibs which are nowadays hit-or-miss at best. So I'd just live with the lousy plating job they do on those nibs. Of course, the M205/215 nibs, being unplated, are not affected by this...

Nineninenine
March 29th, 2016, 10:40 AM
@ac12 and @inklord - yeah, for looks. I am being a fusspot. I know I can live with it but wondered if anyone actually replated. Thought I'd throw it out there to see what others did. 😊

Did not know the nibs for M2xx range were more consistent. This is the interesting stuff you learn from joining this forum. Most of my Pelikans are M200's & M205's,and one older 400NN, one 120. have only one new (this decade old) m400 with a 14k nib and it's not inked up yet. Guess I'll find out soon about that nib, but for the most part feel happy with how my nibs have behaved on first inking.

inklord
March 29th, 2016, 07:13 PM
@ac12 and @inklord - yeah, for looks. I am being a fusspot. I know I can live with it but wondered if anyone actually replated. Thought I'd throw it out there to see what others did. 😊

Did not know the nibs for M2xx range were more consistent. This is the interesting stuff you learn from joining this forum. Most of my Pelikans are M200's & M205's,and one older 400NN, one 120. have only one new (this decade old) m400 with a 14k nib and it's not inked up yet. Guess I'll find out soon about that nib, but for the most part feel happy with how my nibs have behaved on first inking.
Best of luck - that being said, one of my best writers is a M400... :)