PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Another New Member...

Anne
January 1st, 2016, 03:34 PM
Hello...My name is Anne. I am a fountain pen addict... :)
I am only admitting this because I have hope that I am not the only one!

I am originally from Long Island, NY and I have lived in Arizona for almost thirty years. I have referenced this site and others, for information on various pens for some time.
I have already learned quite a lot from members on here. I have found very useful information from experienced people as well as self described "inexperienced" people.
So, I also must say a general "Thank You" to all who read this.

I have only been into fountain pens for three years. I will probably learn more than I can ever contribute, but I am happy to be a part of my very first forum.

...and Happy New Year to all as well!

P.S. I hope I posted this correctly and in the proper place...

jar
January 1st, 2016, 04:01 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Anne
January 1st, 2016, 04:04 PM
Thank You Jar!

Hawk
January 1st, 2016, 04:04 PM
Welcome.

Anne
January 1st, 2016, 04:07 PM
Thank You Hawk:)

VertOlive
January 1st, 2016, 04:24 PM
Welcome, Anne, glad to have you here!

Anne
January 1st, 2016, 04:38 PM
Thank You very much VertOlive. I am happy to be here :)

Terie_Benjamin
January 1st, 2016, 04:47 PM
Welcome Anne. I'm also new and so far in loving this forum.

Anne
January 1st, 2016, 04:57 PM
Terie,
Thank You! I am am glad to hear it. I am not used to a forum type setting, so I keep hoping I am hitting the right buttons.

Frank
January 1st, 2016, 09:59 PM
Hi Anne.... ;)

:welcome:

Anne
January 1st, 2016, 11:38 PM
Thank You for the welcome, Frank!

DASEFnib
January 2nd, 2016, 02:48 AM
Hi, Anne!!:welcome:
Three years?? Compared to me.....you're a seasoned veteran!! I've only re-acclimated myself to FPs since September '15....
What pens do you own presently? Do you tend to lean toward more modern style(s) or vintage types?
Glad to have you aboard!:)

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

writingrav
January 2nd, 2016, 06:01 AM
Welcome to the madness, Anne. Indulge!

earthdawn
January 2nd, 2016, 06:03 AM
Welcome Anne from a current Long Island resident... still working to get off of it lol.

Great to have you join us. Please jump in and get comfy with a forum full of enablers

Jeph
January 2nd, 2016, 07:37 AM

chojo
January 2nd, 2016, 09:23 AM
:welcome: Anne, I'm not new here but I've been distracted by life for the last few months, I'm hoping now things have settled down to get back to the important business of pens! Look forward to seeing you around the boards.

SeminarianMike
January 2nd, 2016, 09:32 AM
Welcome Anne!!!! Def not he only one!!! Stick around here some amazing knowledgable members!!!

necrotic
January 2nd, 2016, 10:34 AM
Welcome!

caribbean_skye
January 2nd, 2016, 10:35 AM
welcome welcome

Anne
January 2nd, 2016, 12:12 PM
Hi, Anne!!:welcome:
Three years?? Compared to me.....you're a seasoned veteran!! I've only re-acclimated myself to FPs since September '15....
What pens do you own presently? Do you tend to lean toward more modern style(s) or vintage types?
Glad to have you aboard!:)

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

"Seasoned" that's funny - I wish I were! But as I learn and go, hopefully I will be able to help someone.
Thank You for the kind welcome!

I have a good mixture of old and new fountain pens. Eyedroppers, cartridge/converter, to piston filler pens. I even have an old Russian ( Soyuz ), Leningrad model I believe, with a cool accordion filler. It has a dented cap, scratchy nib and definitely a Parker 51 look. I do appreciate pens with history :)

I love the TWSBI 1.1 mm nibs. I do gravitate to either a stub, italic or calligraphy nib. I like anything that makes my handwriting look better and makes me write neater.

Anne
January 2nd, 2016, 12:15 PM
Welcome to the madness, Anne. Indulge!

Thank You writingrav, I will :))

Anne
January 2nd, 2016, 12:34 PM
Welcome Anne from a current Long Island resident... still working to get off of it lol.

Great to have you join us. Please jump in and get comfy with a forum full of enablers

...Yes! Enablers Here I Am...!!! LOL!
Oh my heart is still back on Long Island...but every state and country has its own beauty. Although, I am partial to all of the lush Green places on earth :)
Thank You so much for the warm welcome!

Anne
January 2nd, 2016, 12:37 PM

Thank You Jeph! I appreciate it :))

Anne
January 2nd, 2016, 12:59 PM
:welcome: Anne, I'm not new here but I've been distracted by life for the last few months, I'm hoping now things have settled down to get back to the important business of pens! Look forward to seeing you around the boards.

Yes LOL! I hope everything is well and I am glad you have come back!
I appreciate the kind welcome!

Anne
January 2nd, 2016, 01:02 PM
Welcome Anne!!!! Def not he only one!!! Stick around here some amazing knowledgable members!!!

I know, I am surrounded and I couldn't be happier :)
Thank You Very Much for the kind welcome!

Anne
January 2nd, 2016, 01:05 PM
Welcome!

Hello necrotic! Thank You So Much :)

Anne
January 2nd, 2016, 01:07 PM
welcome welcome

Thank You Thank You :)

Lady Onogaro
January 2nd, 2016, 05:11 PM
Hi, Anne. I learn something almost every time I visit the forum. I'm sure you will have something important to contribute.

Sailor Kenshin
January 2nd, 2016, 06:31 PM
Hello...My name is Anne. I am a fountain pen addict... :)
I am only admitting this because I have hope that I am not the only one!

I am originally from Long Island, NY and I have lived in Arizona for almost thirty years. I have referenced this site and others, for information on various pens for some time.
I have already learned quite a lot from members on here. I have found very useful information from experienced people as well as self described "inexperienced" people.
So, I also must say a general "Thank You" to all who read this.

I have only been into fountain pens for three years. I will probably learn more than I can ever contribute, but I am happy to be a part of my very first forum.

...and Happy New Year to all as well!

P.S. I hope I posted this correctly and in the proper place...

Hello and Happy New Year from a former (I guess!) neighbor. ;)

A Soyuz fountain pen? Now that's unusual. I like unusual pens!

Anne
January 2nd, 2016, 06:38 PM
Hi, Anne. I learn something almost every time I visit the forum. I'm sure you will have something important to contribute.

Lady Onogaro,
Thank You - I hope so! :)

Anne
January 2nd, 2016, 06:52 PM
[/QUOTE]Hello and Happy New Year from a former (I guess!) neighbor. ;)

A Soyuz fountain pen? Now that's unusual. I like unusual pens![/QUOTE]

Hello and Thank You Sailor Kenshin!
Yes, I like the unusual pens too. The filling system was interesting to me :) and it was inexpensive.

Marsilius
January 2nd, 2016, 08:07 PM
Welcome!

Anne
January 2nd, 2016, 08:40 PM
Welcome!

Thank You Very Much Marsilius!

cwent2
January 2nd, 2016, 11:46 PM

wantz1
January 3rd, 2016, 12:10 AM
Hi Anne, I'm new too, a friendly bunch :)

Wahl
January 3rd, 2016, 11:26 AM
Hi Anne, :welcome:

Anne
January 3rd, 2016, 11:58 AM

Thank You Cw!

Anne
January 3rd, 2016, 12:14 PM
Hi Anne, I'm new too, a friendly bunch :)

Thank You wantz1 :) Yes, everybody has been very friendly. I am grateful :D It took me a long time to get enough courage to join a group.
(( Wow, is that pathetic? ;) ))

Anne
January 3rd, 2016, 12:15 PM
Hi Anne, :welcome:

Hello Wahl, Thank You So Much for the welcome!

SeminarianMike
January 3rd, 2016, 01:23 PM
Anne what's ur fav pen so far ? [emoji846]

Anne
January 3rd, 2016, 02:47 PM
Anne what's ur fav pen so far ? [emoji846]

SeminarianMike,
I always have my TWSBI Mini inked. I haven't had the cracking issues of its plastic ( yet :shocked: ) that many people have experienced and I just love the pen. Well, I love italic/stub/calligraphy nibs too, so I liked the fact that it was available with the pen.

What is your favorite or favorites? What is your favorite nib?

SeminarianMike
January 3rd, 2016, 03:59 PM
I just ordered a twsbi 580! My fav pen to date is probably my pelikan m800 with an EF nib! A very kind man on this forum gave to me for Christmas! I really love needle point nibs! My fav everyday pen is montreverde invincia color fusion with a fine nib!

Anne
January 3rd, 2016, 04:28 PM
I just ordered a twsbi 580! My fav pen to date is probably my pelikan m800 with an EF nib! A very kind man on this forum gave to me for Christmas! I really love needle point nibs! My fav everyday pen is montreverde invincia color fusion with a fine nib!

Nice choice! Use it in good health when you get it.
So, did you order the 580 with an EF also?
Pelikan pens are very nice. I have a few M400s and they made me smile when I wrote with them LOL.
The Invincia Color Fusion looks like a nice sleek pen. Is it a heavy pen?

SeminarianMike
January 3rd, 2016, 08:29 PM

Nice choice! Use it in good health when you get it.
So, did you order the 580 with an EF also?
Pelikan pens are very nice. I have a few M400s and they made me smile when I wrote with them LOL.
The Invincia Color Fusion looks like a nice sleek pen. Is it a heavy pen?

Yes da the invincia is a heavy pen but I love it the nib is a nail and great for Edc use! The twsbi I have coming is an EF and I'll be posting a review [emoji5]

Anne
January 3rd, 2016, 09:10 PM
Yes da the invincia is a heavy pen but I love it the nib is a nail and great for Edc use! The twsbi I have coming is an EF and I'll be posting a review [emoji5]

Oh nice. I just use a regular ol' Lamy Vista, tough for Edc too :)
I look forward to seeing the review of the twsbi!

Waltman
January 5th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Welcome and Happy New Year Anne!

You got the right place.....lots of nice and knowledgeable people here....enjoy!

Walt

Anne
January 5th, 2016, 03:11 PM

You got the right place.....lots of nice and knowledgeable people here....enjoy!

Walt

Thank You So Much Walt!! Yes, people have been very nice - I am so glad. You are right also about how knowledgeable they are, I still read many posts that I can't add to because I am still learning :haha:

Waltman
January 6th, 2016, 10:39 AM

Walt

Thank You So Much Walt!! Yes, people have been very nice - I am so glad. You are right also about how knowledgeable they are, I still read many posts that I can't add to because I am still learning :haha:

Just absorb for now......you will learn a lot from the forum and from trial-and-error on your own about the fountain pen triangle (pen, paper, and ink). It took me a while but I am in a very comfortable place now with what I own and what I am willing to do regarding maintenance (remember to clean your pens and, if you don't use them for a while {week or two}, clean and store w/o ink...it will save you a lot of headaches).

Once you hit your zone, you will have a lot of fun.

Morgaine
January 6th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Hello and welcome. Do you write much with them?

top pen
January 6th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Welcome! So what was your first fountain pen?

Anne
January 6th, 2016, 02:01 PM
[/QUOTE]

Just absorb for now......you will learn a lot from the forum and from trial-and-error on your own about the fountain pen triangle (pen, paper, and ink). It took me a while but I am in a very comfortable place now with what I own and what I am willing to do regarding maintenance (remember to clean your pens and, if you don't use them for a while {week or two}, clean and store w/o ink...it will save you a lot of headaches).

Once you hit your zone, you will have a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate that Walt. At this moment I am flushing a Parker 51 Vac. that went dry ( not something it would do before ) so it must have been low on ink for the 2++ weeks of nonuse - I know, Yikes! I think it should be ok ?? All I am brave enough to use in it is Serenity Blue.
Aside from allowing some pens to sit for a while ( while I use others :eek: ) I do consider myself meticulous/OCD about cleaning. Having said that, I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, so I am sure it could get cleaner.
I already feel like you in that I am comfortable in what I own now. I think it's because I Dove into this so quickly and seriously that I am very happy with the range of pens I have. I really love them all, even the cheap ones :)
Then again, I have always had a pen fetish before getting into fountain pens...so that helped ;)

Anne
January 6th, 2016, 02:15 PM

Thank You Morgaine! I do write with them often. I have a Lamy Safari Vista that I carry outside the house.
Every pen I bought to be an Every Day Carry, tough to knock around and cheap enough to put in my pocketbook ( in a special sleeve I made, of course:haha: ) I fell in love with and chickened out. So, I know it's silly, but my Kawecos stay home :redface:
I always have at least one fountain pen sitting at the table ( while I type on the computer! ).
Do you write often with them too and what are your every day carries or EDC?

Anne
January 6th, 2016, 02:35 PM

Thank You top pen! My first fountain pens were two Kaweco Classic Sports. I bought one in a Medium, and one in a bold.
My intention was, because they are tough and dependable, to have One as an every day carry pen. I was so impressed with the fact that they started right up absolutely every and any time I tried to write with them, that I just couldn't carry them around. I know it's really dumb :redface:
So, then I bought two Lamy Vistas. If one of them didn't come with scratches already on it, they too would both be homebound!

Anne
January 6th, 2016, 02:38 PM

What was your first fountain pen and what drew you to it?

Morgaine
January 6th, 2016, 04:58 PM

Thank You Morgaine! I do write with them often. I have a Lamy Safari Vista that I carry outside the house.
Every pen I bought to be an Every Day Carry, tough to knock around and cheap enough to put in my pocketbook ( in a special sleeve I made, of course:haha: ) I fell in love with and chickened out. So, I know it's silly, but my Kawecos stay home :redface:
I always have at least one fountain pen sitting at the table ( while I type on the computer! ).
Do you write often with them too and what are your every day carries or EDC?

I use them to write letters. It is a good justification for buying more pens and ink. Perhaps the next letter I will write will even use Diamine sparkly ink! I used to use gel pens or just Quink ink about 5-7 years back! My Angry Birds Space pen[cil] case weighs a ton - Lamy, Parker, Jinhao I take out and about with me. To be truthful, I prefer snail mail to fountain pens!

Anne
January 6th, 2016, 05:38 PM
I use them to write letters. It is a good justification for buying more pens and ink. Perhaps the next letter I will write will even use Diamine sparkly ink! I used to use gel pens or just Quink ink about 5-7 years back! My Angry Birds Space pen[cil] case weighs a ton - Lamy, Parker, Jinhao I take out and about with me. To be truthful, I prefer snail mail to fountain pens![/QUOTE]

Yes, I think I need to buy Quink ink. I have read too many posts from people on here that really love it. Nothing wrong with gel pens. Rollerballs are nice too.
I have a cute little Delta Mini Trend roller that I bought a while back and I take it out and admire it when I am switching between other pens. It is also too special to take out...:facepalm:
What kind of Jinhao pens do you have?

top pen
January 7th, 2016, 10:06 AM

I think it was a Parker Reflex some 12 years ago. I wasn't a bad pen for the money, I think the fact it had a nice rubber grip section was what made me buy it.

Anne
January 7th, 2016, 10:19 AM

I think it was a Parker Reflex some 12 years ago. I wasn't a bad pen for the money, I think the fact it had a nice rubber grip section was what made me buy it.

Do you still have/use it? I think I will always use my Lamy Vistas ( one is always inked ). I have to ink up my little Kawecos again though!
I was given a Parker Vector and even though it is so slim, I really love how it writes and how comfortable it is to write with for a while. Plus, it came with the longer cartridge that can hold more ink!

Morgaine
January 7th, 2016, 01:15 PM
I still have a load of Parker Reflex. One shop here was selling them off for 99p

top pen
January 7th, 2016, 01:56 PM

Do you still have/use it? I think I will always use my Lamy Vistas ( one is always inked ). I have to ink up my little Kawecos again though!
I was given a Parker Vector and even though it is so slim, I really love how it writes and how comfortable it is to write with for a while. Plus, it came with the longer cartridge that can hold more ink!

I still have a load of Parker Reflex. One shop here was selling them off for 99p

I've got it lying in a cupboard some where. I think the cap developed a few years after owning it and I damaged the nib. I've been meaning to buy another for a few years just never got round to it. I agree the Vector a good everyday pen I think it shares the same nib with the Reflex.

Anne
January 7th, 2016, 02:43 PM

Oh good, I am glad you still do. That sounds like a good price.

grandmia
January 7th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Hello Anne

Im glad you have found your way here, and i see all the geeks are making you welcome. If you need to know something then just ask as there are a lot of experienced geeks here who are more than happy to help. Dont forget, have fun.

Stef.

Anne
January 7th, 2016, 02:50 PM

I've got it lying in a cupboard some where. I think the cap developed a few years after owning it and I damaged the nib. I've been meaning to buy another for a few years just never got round to it. I agree the Vector a good everyday pen I think it shares the same nib with the Reflex.

Oh that is good to know that the nibs are the same. The one I have is relatively smooth.
I looked into the calligraphy nibs one time and the prices on the single nibs were a bit silly. More worth it to buy the pen set instead. But the spares of regular sizes should be out there too, if you ever decide to replace it.

Anne
January 7th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Hello Anne

Im glad you have found your way here, and i see all the geeks are making you welcome. If you need to know something then just ask as there are a lot of experienced geeks here who are more than happy to help. Dont forget, have fun.

Stef.

Thank You Stef., I am so glad you told me about them and suggested joining. I Will have fun :)) I am surfing the board and finding lots of good information!

Bisquitlips
February 7th, 2016, 12:15 AM
Anne........

You are among good company!

I have "collected" fountain pens since 1988 and presently own about 100.

Enjoy your addiction and please make yourself known among us! Thanks for joining!

:welcome: to FP Geeks!

We are sincerely glad you are here with us.

We love photos of pens and the various sundries, knowledge, and banter!

Thank you for deciding to join us!

Richard

Anne
February 7th, 2016, 12:46 AM
Anne........

Enjoy your addiction and please make yourself known among us! Thanks for joining!

Richard

Thank You so much Richard! I really am enjoying the forum - I continually learn something new. I am grateful for all of the decent, knowledgeable and helpful people here.
I should have joined sooner! Oh, I truly do enjoy my addiction :) I have recently dove into the Esterbrook J series! I love italics and they have them. So, what's a pen lover to do?
I read so many posts from Esterbrook fans here, it wasn't a difficult decision to make.

Wow, 100 pens :D - do you have a top 10? Which nib size/type do you favor?

Bisquitlips
February 7th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Anne........

Richard

Thank You so much Richard! I really am enjoying the forum - I continually learn something new. I am grateful for all of the decent, knowledgeable and helpful people here.
I should have joined sooner! Oh, I truly do enjoy my addiction :) I have recently dove into the Esterbrook J series! I love italics and they have them. So, what's a pen lover to do?
I read so many posts from Esterbrook fans here, it wasn't a difficult decision to make.

Yes... I am afraid so. 100 pens... sheesh! Sometimes I feel bad about that, but then I think that I have been collecting the better part of 30 years so I get over it quickly.

My favorite changes often. Typically I reach for one of my Montblancs and I have a 149 with an fine italic nib that I really like. And then there is the Pelikan 400 Tortoise with a medium left oblique nib. Love that one!

Lately I have written the most with a 1955 Montblanc Green Striated 142 which has its matching pencil and its original green alligator leather zippered case. This pen really doesn't have a mark on it as in pristine condition! Gorgeous!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/737/22262817930_8ea2dc4b61_z_d.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/284/18749023260_9a5962b056_z_d.jpg

Have a great week and be sure and visit often! And share some photos if you get the chance!

Anne
February 8th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Anne........

Richard

Yes... I am afraid so. 100 pens... sheesh! Sometimes I feel bad about that, but then I think that I have been collecting the better part of 30 years so I get over it quickly.

My favorite changes often. Typically I reach for one of my Montblancs and I have a 149 with an fine italic nib that I really like. And then there is the Pelikan 400 Tortoise with a medium left oblique nib. Love that one!

Lately I have written the most with a 1955 Montblanc Green Striated 142 which has its matching pencil and its original green alligator leather zippered case. This pen really doesn't have a mark on it as in pristine condition! Gorgeous!

Have a great week and be sure and visit often! And share some photos if you get the chance!

Never feel bad about anything you buy that makes you happy. Writing instruments are Supposed to be enjoyed:D That '55 Montblanc is absolutely beautiful! I hope you thoroughly enjoy it and Use It In Good Health.
I haven't tried posting pictures yet. I can't count on my phone to produce decent pictures, so I will have to dig out a little camera I have for it. Unfortunately, there may be differing sizes within the same post:p Still getting the hang of things here...

Bisquitlips
February 9th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Anne........

Richard

Never feel bad about anything you buy that makes you happy. Writing instruments are Supposed to be enjoyed:D That '55 Montblanc is absolutely beautiful! I hope you thoroughly enjoy it and Use It In Good Health.
I haven't tried posting pictures yet. I can't count on my phone to produce decent pictures, so I will have to dig out a little camera I have for it. Unfortunately, there may be differing sizes within the same post:p Still getting the hang of things here...

Thank you Anne!

I do love the Green Striated 1955 and it writes superbly! I truly wish they made FPs today with this quality. Sheesh!

You have to search diligently and then pay out the nose to get one. Hate that!

But I have to admit that once it is in your hand, there is nothing like it! I just need MORE MONEY!

Send your Pay Pal donations to.... bisquitlips... Never mind! :)

Anne
February 9th, 2016, 06:26 PM
I haven't tried posting pictures yet. I can't count on my phone to produce decent pictures, so I will have to dig out a little camera I have for it. Unfortunately, there may be differing sizes within the same post:p Still getting the hang of things here...[/QUOTE]

Thank you Anne!

I do love the Green Striated 1955 and it writes superbly! I truly wish they made FPs today with this quality. Sheesh!

You have to search diligently and then pay out the nose to get one. Hate that!

But I have to admit that once it is in your hand, there is nothing like it! I just need MORE MONEY!

Send your Pay Pal donations to.... bisquitlips... Never mind! :)[/QUOTE]

How funny! Well, at least we can still find the vintage ones and many have been well taken care of. It always amazes me that a pen with such history is still out there and able not only to write, but make us smile to boot. The first one that did that for me was the Pelikan M400.