PDA

View Full Version : Jinhao x450 nib replacement

SeminarianMike
January 3rd, 2016, 04:48 PM
What size does the 450 take and any nib recommendations for a good fine nib to stick into it?

Inxoy
January 3rd, 2016, 05:12 PM
It's a #6, same in the jinhao 159 and x750

I'm interested in what others say about the recommendation to stick in, I'm curious myself.

TSherbs
January 3rd, 2016, 05:50 PM
I have a Goulet fine in mine, as many other folks do. But the Goulet nibs aren't cheap, relative to the pen....

ppmiranda
January 3rd, 2016, 06:01 PM
I replaced mine with a two-tone Goulet medium and the pen now performs like a much more expensive one. You won't regret doing the same.

If you want to check other nib options, look for a #6 nib and you are good to go.

SeminarianMike
January 3rd, 2016, 07:34 PM
I'll prob grab a goulet nib but has anyone thrown in an Edison?

penwash
January 3rd, 2016, 07:52 PM
Don't forget that you are far from being stuck with only Goulet or Edison as choices.
I bet one or two vintage nibs that I have accumulated so far would fit well, with some adjustments.

Lady Onogaro
January 3rd, 2016, 08:37 PM
I have a Goulet nib in one of my pens, and an Anderson nib in the other (both are Jowo nibs, so they are priced about the same). I am very happy with both.

gbryal
January 4th, 2016, 12:41 AM
I have put the Goulet nibs in a few of my Jinhao and they work fine. I suspect the same of the Anderson nibs: I think they are all JoWo. Edison and Franklin-Christoph are JoWo also, though if you use those you won't want the screw-in unit, just the bare nib.

However, the stock Jinhao nibs are generally very good, so there is no reason to replace them if they are writing correctly, unless you want a size Jinhao doesn't sell. They tend to have slightly too much tipping and skip but that can be fixed.

Inxoy
January 4th, 2016, 02:50 PM
I have 4 jinhaos, 2 are smooth as glass and 2 are scratchy. If anything, they are inconsistent but none of them are bad. No feed issues on any of them.

Sailor Kenshin
January 4th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Xfountainpens also sells nibs.

KBeezie
January 10th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Xfountainpens also sells nibs.

On that note, it's the Knox K35 (the other # for a #6). They been kind of hit-or-miss for me, but about half the price of most the other jowo-made nibs.

Same deal with the nibs over at FountainPenRevolution.

SeminarianMike
January 10th, 2016, 12:36 PM
I ended up buying an Edison nib unit... Will I have to remove the nib from the feed unit to put it in the jinhao or will it all be able to go into the pen?

alc3261
January 10th, 2016, 01:03 PM
They are the same nib, made by JoWo.

alc3261
January 10th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I ended up buying an Edison nib unit... Will I have to remove the nib from the feed unit to put it in the jinhao or will it all be able to go into the pen?

You have to take the nib out, the Jinhao is not a screw in nib unit. Edison and Goulet nibs are identical.

DPWilkens
February 17th, 2016, 04:47 PM
I just swapped out a x450 nib for a Nemosine Singularity fine nib (which are of course made by one of the two or three German companies that wholesale them to pen manufacturers). You can pick up one for 6.99 right now off of xfountainpens or an entire Nemosine pen for not much more. Afterwards I put the Jinhao nib into the Singularity for somewhat less gratifying results.