PDA

View Full Version : Dang leprechauns... I mean does anyone use a blotter?

SeminarianMike
January 4th, 2016, 11:28 AM
As I am getting into pens I have begun the obsession with nice desk accessories to compliment my pens... I'm sure many of you have gone down this road... I am at the cross roads of buying a blotter? Is it worth it?? Please bestow that wonderful Fp wisdom on me once Again! Thank you and God bless

jar
January 4th, 2016, 11:35 AM
One of my jobs when I was a little kid going with my dad to the office was to change out all of the desk blotters and rocker blotters (and to refill the ink in the desk pen bases). Today I still use blotters but just the freebee advertising ones that have come with pens over the years.

chojo
January 4th, 2016, 12:23 PM
I've considered a blotter myself but given the size of most of them, my conclusion was they're only really useful for signatures as by the time I've written to the bottom of the page the rest of the ink is dry anyway. I do however keep a piece of A5 size blotting paper on my desk just in case.

Dreck
January 4th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Heck, yeah, I do! I have a wooden rocker blotter on my podium at school, and a brass-and-marble rocker blotter as part of a desk set in my Study at home. On those, I use the heavyweight stuff from Zeller Writing Co. I also keep a piece of J. Herbin blotter paper folded up in my wallet for soaking up the inevitable extra ink when signing credit card receipts. My next step is getting a blotter pad for my desk, but that will mean clearing it off somewhat...

fpquest
January 4th, 2016, 12:52 PM
I have a wooden rocker blotter on my desk that has J. Herbin blotter paper cut to size. I use it occasionally when I'm too impatient to let ink dry. Plus I use blotter paper cut to size in my notebooks that have Tomoe River or similar paper where the ink dries slowly. It keeps things from smudging or transferring when I turn the page. Plus, they serve as bookmarks.

SeminarianMike
January 4th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Hmm.. Thanks guys! Now for those pesky leprechauns..!

Lady Onogaro
January 4th, 2016, 05:18 PM
I use a rocker blotter all the time with my Hobonochi and with letters I write on Tomoe River paper. I also buy blotter paper to stick between the pages of notebooks, especially when I am writing with wetter pens or wetter inks.

Paddler
January 4th, 2016, 05:36 PM
I use a rocker blotter on my desk. I need it when I use a vintage pen with an old style feed (they can burp ink when your hand warms the sac bubble). I also keep two blotters in my checkbook: one on top of the checks, one in the register. My savings register also gets a blotter.

erpe
January 4th, 2016, 08:44 PM
I use a blotter on the desk (the simple J. Herbin one), they are not that expensive and they last quite long, useful to quick-dry the last bit before turning a page. In my notebooks on the road I keep sheets of blotterpaper for the same purpose. I never take the rocker out of the house, it's just not practical.

Paddrino
January 5th, 2016, 04:48 PM
I use blotter paper as a bookmark in my notebooks. Just slide it over to the freshly written section and close the book. I don't use a rocker.

SeminarianMike
January 5th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Are all blotters rockers or do they make stamp type

Dreck
January 5th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Are all blotters rockers or do they make stamp type

Come on, man. You're in seminary. You should know how to do research. ;p

Here's a nice one, but maybe not for a priest. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-marble-sculpture-paper-weight-ink-blotter-lady-women-1800s-19th-century-/111865413869?hash=item1a0bb2c0ed:g:Hp8AAOSwJcZWgAF d)

Sterling silver roller (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-WRITING-DESK-INK-BLOTTER-ROLLER-STERLING-SILVER-REPOUSSE-HANDLE-/252207482601?hash=item3ab8bcc6e9:g:Dr0AAOSwu4BV5oL p)

I don't go for glass and chrome, but this one is kind of nice. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ART-DECO-INK-BLOTTER-PAPERWEIGHT-WOOD-BLACK-GLASS-WITH-CHROME-KNOB-/161886753021?hash=item25b133d0fd:g:otoAAOSwEeFVMsW x)

fqgouvea
January 6th, 2016, 04:07 PM
I use the small one from Herbin, and would love to have a full-size one. They're excellent for when you really need to turn the page and go on writing.

Fernando

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

ac12
January 9th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I only use a blotter when writing on my wall calendar, glossy paper that takes a LONG time for the ink to dry.
For my notebook, the ink dries fast enough that I don't need to blot it.

SeminarianMike
January 15th, 2016, 08:17 AM
I am now carrying a small folded piece of blotter paper in my pen wrap [emoji5] I don't know if I will buy a blotter tho

Dreck
January 15th, 2016, 04:08 PM
I am now carrying a small folded piece of blotter paper in my pen wrap [emoji5] I don't know if I will buy a blotter tho

If nothing else, it'll add to the ambiance of your desk and double as a nice paperweight. :) I have a marble and brass rocker blotter, letter holder, and calendar set that were all used at the same time (several times) to hold books open when I was working on research papers in seminary.

jar
January 15th, 2016, 05:04 PM

If you cut up one of the blotters that so often are included when you buy pen stuff into 1" strips the height of the blotter they are a perfect size for stuffing in wallets.

Paddler
January 15th, 2016, 06:45 PM
I bought a simple wooden rocker blotter at a flea market. The handle is a wooden drawer pull. It looks like a school shop project. The maker's name is pencilled in under the wedge. Hand made. So cool!

SeminarianMike
January 15th, 2016, 08:56 PM
I bought a simple wooden rocker blotter at a flea market. The handle is a wooden drawer pull. It looks like a school shop project. The maker's name is pencilled in under the wedge. Hand made. So cool!

Pictures please !!!!

Paddler
January 16th, 2016, 07:15 AM

Pictures please !!!!

I will try. I haven't had much luck dropping pictures in this forum, or leaving links, either one. I use Picasa Web Album for my picture host. Maybe that is the problem.

jbb
January 16th, 2016, 11:02 AM
I have a big sheet of blotter paper covering my desk. I have a few rocker blotters too. Here's one of the prettiest ones.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2881/9466255476_33f98ee67a_b.jpg

Dreck
January 16th, 2016, 11:33 AM
I have a big sheet of blotter paper covering my desk. I have a few rocker blotters too. Here's one of the prettiest ones.

That's gorgeous! German?

I haven't been able to find any actual blotting paper in a desk-sized sheet. Reviews on Amazon.com reveal that they stuff commonly sold as such are not, so if you have a link, I'd be grateful.

In any event, I made a trip to Arvey paper last week (one of my favorite haunts!) that yielded something which works very well. Large sheets of Vellum Bristol have the toothiness necessary to soak up ink quickly and well, as do the sheets they stock of "railroad board." This differs from regular posterboard in a few ways. Railroad board is thicker, it is uncoated, and it uses a higher quality of pulp than is commonly found in posterboard. The finish helps to keep papers from sliding as they would on a slick desk top, and the thickness helps to provide a bit of cushion while writing.

jbb
January 16th, 2016, 11:42 AM

That's gorgeous! German?
I don't know but maybe.

Dreck
January 16th, 2016, 11:44 AM

That's gorgeous! German?
I don't know but maybe.

The 2-headed eagle (head of Church and Empire) is what made me think so.