PDA

View Full Version : FPGeeks Give Away #7

dannzeman
April 26th, 2010, 06:20 AM
http://www.fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Rhodia_Web_Notebook_large.jpg (http://www.fpgeeks.com/2010/04/welcome-give-away-7/rhodia_web_notebook_large/)
Based off our last give away you guys either really like ink, notebooks, or pens. Or maybe it was the combination of all of them together that did it. I’m not sure but I do know that we’re going to continue to give you cool stuff anyway. This time it’s a large Rhodia Webnotebook. These are one of the best notebooks I’ve ever used. It’s filled with 96 lined sheets of 90g paper, has an inner pocket on the back cover, and an elastic strap to keep it closed. You can’t beat this notebook when it comes to price and performance. What do you have to do to make this gem of a notebook yours? Tell us how you use your fountain pens in everyday life. Do you take notes at work? Just journal in the evening? Make grocery lists? We want to know. You’ll have until Sunday at 11:59pm on May 2nd, 2010 to enter.

brubj7a0
April 26th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I mostly use fountain pens at work for taking notes on phone conversations, meetings, and general to-do lists. At home I use my Vanishing Point to journal in my Moleskine.

Gapato
April 26th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Everything, and mainly course-notes taking + exercises + projects, since I'm still studying.

ccorrada
April 26th, 2010, 09:26 AM
i usually use my FP full time during the day- meeting notes, cards, calendar notes, etc. at work. I love to see the expression on people's faces when I take out my Lamy or Muji or Parker 51, or Easterbrook, or Montblanc...

dazygrl02
April 26th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I use pens for note taking, journaling, recipe writing, poetry transcribing (handwriting improvement), and doodling. :)

twigee89
April 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I use my pens to take notes at work about peoples computer systems/information about their problems at a technology support center

penspouse
April 26th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Grocery lists, postcards, letters, to do lists, phone messages. Anything I need to write, I do it with a fountain pen.

Wile E Coyote
April 26th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I use FP's for everything, even multipart forms. That's where the Sailor Trident comes into play. The only other writing instrument I'll use is a MP for calculations since there's usually a lot of rewriting as things change during iterations.

bdpatton2
April 26th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Take notes at works, church or home, journal every so often with them, show them off to friends, and gaze at them nightly. That's about it.

Okami
April 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Ok, guys, I NEED this notebook. I'll use it as a journal.

mjh
April 26th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I use my pens in a variety of ways. I've been keeping a journal in a Staples Bagasse notebook but it is more random junk I've been writing, just to practice writing as my script is atrocious. I'd definitely like to try some heavier weight quality paper like the Rhodia, probably would give more thought to my entries.

When I go out, I carry my Safari or Vista for occasional notes and signing receipts, depending on where I'm going I usually bring the Vista for the 'wow' factor for people not used to fountain pens. I use my 2000 for important papers and signatures. That isn't very common at the moment, often it is just to write down, prior to picking up the phone;

1 qt Mongolian Beef
1 Bourbon Chicken LS with WR & WS
1 SS Chicken LS with FR & ER
1 pt Sliced Pork BBQ

;) -MJ

maxh
April 26th, 2010, 01:54 PM
If I'm handwriting, I use a fountain pen.

SProctor
April 26th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I have completely retired all of my ballpoints and mechanical pencils and literally use only a fountain pen for everything I write. I have however, recently come across a few things that just don't work for some reason though... like signing the back of a credit card with a fountain pen... I also went so far as to donate about 50+ BP pens to my wife's place of work for them to use instead of ordering more from their office supplier. They completely went through them all in less than a week & a half!

As for the Rhodia webnotebook shown above, I keep several of these on hand, far better than a moleskine, in my opinion. Right now I use one for my personal journal and I have a another, separate one (in the opposite color) as my writing instrument journal where I keep track of what is inked and with what ink (I'm colorblind), where I am in my pen rotation and what is up next, and anything I have ordered for my collection from somewhere or someone and have not received yet... and anything else that's related to (even remotely) using my fountain pens.

dwong
April 26th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I use my fountain pens for class notes, journals, to-do lists, and sketches.

Sharkbait
April 26th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I use my fountain pen for everything! except for solving math problems... everything includes notes, doodling, orders, filling out applications, brainstorming

JohnCruzNg
April 26th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I use my fountain pens for everything which requires some form of writing (of course this includes doodling). I take notes, draw, and do a lot of college related work with fountain pens. Teachers require papers to be typed up and handed in, but I hand write all of my papers before a single key is pressed on a keyboard. I always try to find ways to integrate my fountain pens with everyday task.

bardolator
April 26th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I've shifted over since January and am now using fountain pens for EVERYTHING I write, circumstances permitting (for an example of an exception: I let my dad borrow two of my pens this weekend to write a series of letters. He didn't tell me that he wrote one of them dry. And, of course, that's the one I stuck in my purse to take with me to the classes I teach Sunday afternoon. Got a bite to eat while I went back over my lesson plan; tried to make notes; discovered my pen was COMPLETELY DRY. >:| Ran out to my car and found a sad and lonely purple Pilot Precise V5. It...just wasn't the same. :(). In fact, I have my Rotring Core on a lanyard so I always have a (very hardy) fp at the ready while teaching. :)

Fountain pens are great for grading papers, because my handwriting stands out even better than it does with something like the V5!

donwinn
April 26th, 2010, 05:16 PM
When I have a job, as near as I can remember (was unemployed from July 24 2009 to Jan 15 2010, then again since March 15) I use a fountain pen for everything which does not specifically prohibit its use. I actually have a two-pen desk set, which came with ballpoints (I tossed the BPs) into which trumpets I kept an Esterbrook desk pen with a nice flexy F nib, and a Sailor Desk pen with M nib, which I purchased from Speerbob, who sells on eBay and Fountain Pen Network. I also kept a small wooden box with various inks, cartridges, and Amodex.

Donnie

Bourgeoisie
April 27th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks for another give-away!

Any and everything I write is done with a FP. Usually that is taking notes (NRM major), writing papers, or writing letters.

-Bourgeoisie

Koyote
April 27th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I am a college prof, and so mostly use a computer for "serious" writing. I do use FPs for jotting notes, "to-do" lists, filling in forms, and mostly for taking notes/minutes at meetings and presentations -- I compulsively jot down things people are saying so that, later, I will know when an administrator is backtracking on me!

Kelly G
April 27th, 2010, 11:12 AM
In my previous vocation my work entailed lots of meetings - big meetings, small meetings, one-on-one meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings. I took lots of notes and I found a diary to be invaluable - especially for reconstructing conversations at much later dates. I used fountain pens for the dozen years I was in that particular role - they helped make the meetings tolerable and the writing fun.
In my current vocation as a minister I don't have but a few meetings to attend and I still use fountain pens for keeping notes. I tried for a year or so to write my sermon notes by hand and then type them into either notes or a manuscript. I found that process to be cumbersome and now I do all my sermonizing on the computer; it is simply easier. I do jot notes from reading material in the preparation.
Last fall I started seminary and now I use my fps for lots of note taking as I'm reading. I also use a preppy highlighter and Year of the Golden Pig ink for copious amounts of highlighting as I read; in fact, I have three of them filled all the time. I've found my Pilot VP is a great pen for reading notes - click it and write a few lines and then click it; works great.
As far as general writing goes, I use fp's 99.99% of the time. I carry two or three in my shirt pocket and four more in my bag. I've written exclusively with fp's for 17 years or so.

sokuban
April 27th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I use fountain pens for most of my writing, notetaking, homework, and test writing. Also for miscellaneous if there is one lying around.

major_works
April 27th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I use fountain pens daily, usually for entries in my planner/diary. I'm in a late-vocations program and use my FPs for extensive notes on my reading for the course. I also do some sporadic journaling, but not as much as I would if I had a Rhodia Webbie. :-)

Ted H
April 27th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I use mine for most writing tasks, especially at work. I'm a psychotherapist, and I use them for taking progress notes and treatment planning. Starting to use them to jot down the harmonic structure of jazz tunes as well.

Thrage1
April 28th, 2010, 08:30 PM
It's easier to go through my day with fountain pens
wake up then look over the previous days agenda I wrote with a fp. The head to class I study take notes and work out every homework assignment or essay that's due in fountain pen, sad to say I haven't drawn any looks or complements for my fountain pens. The only thing that doesn't work with fountain pen ink is those credit card reciepts you have to sign, I learned that the hard way, I signed a credit card reciept then waved it around for about 10 mins like a Polaroid picture. Now I always carry 5 fountain pens and a ball point.

gillyohan
April 29th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I use my FPs every day for notes, memos, writing projects, journal, etc. Sometimes I will draw with them. I guess I use them for anything I would use a pen for.

JohnGerard
April 29th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I use fountain pens for everything: journal writing, writing letters, and grading papers. The only thing I don't do is use them for making entries in my checkbook -- did that and it bled through the page and I couldn't read anything!

Tortoise
May 1st, 2010, 06:20 PM
I use fountain pens for everything these days. Notes, grocery lists, margin notes while reading, grading papers, hall passes, attendance reports, journaling, doodling, letters, cards, everything!

phdezra
May 1st, 2010, 08:07 PM
I use a fountain pen because a) it is comfortable and b) I write more legibly with one. (I read an article recently that talked about how fountain pens generally have longer life-spans than rollerballs, etc. and the impact on the user is positive karma... yet another reason.) I use my fountain pen for note taking at business meetings and also for writing billet doux (personal/love letters). The joys of fountain pen usage are unlimited.

I use my fountain pen on Clairefontaine paper, as well as G. Lalo and occasionally small Rhodia pads. Would love to win this larger size Rhodia. :) Thanks for offering another giveaway.

Ezra

phdezra
May 3rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Maybe I missed it.... who won the freebie giveaway?

dannzeman
May 3rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Maybe I missed it.... who won the freebie giveaway?

Fret not. You haven't missed it. We're a little behind from the Chicago Pen Show. The contest is closed to new entries and the winner will be drawn and announced this evening. Also, the new give away will be posted as well.

Sent from my Sprint HTC Hero using Tapatalk.

mattjs
May 3rd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Congrats to whoever the winner ends up winning! I have a webbie and I love it!

dannzeman
May 3rd, 2010, 08:01 PM
Congrats to John, the winner of FPGeeks Give Away #7! John, be on the lookout for a PM from me. Everyone else, check back later tonight for Give Away #8.

I use fountain pens for everything: journal writing, writing letters, and grading papers. The only thing I don't do is use them for making entries in my checkbook -- did that and it bled through the page and I couldn't read anything!

dazygrl02
May 3rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Nifty for John. :D

JohnGerard
May 3rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Wow! Thank you very much! I'm thrilled and look forward to the notebook.
Really great of you.
Thanks again,
John

penspouse
May 4th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Congrats, John!

JohnGerard
May 24th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Notebook arrived -- what a beauty!
Thanks again, Dannzeman.
And by the way, I loved the Visconti Turquoise you wrote your note with -- stunning.
All the best,
John