PDA

View Full Version : Smoother ink for Platinum Preppy PN-900

dmitch86
January 5th, 2016, 07:58 AM
One of my favorite pens to write with is my Platinum Preppy "Disposable". I ordered a Platinum Preppy PN-900 a while back, expecting it to write just as smoothly, but unfortunately it does not. The nib is actually finer, not sure if this is what is contributing to it or not, but it is significantly more scratchy then the disposable Preppy. I have only tried the Platinum cartridges in either pen. I am a complete noob when it comes to inks, and have only used cartridges so far. Is there an alternate ink, I could use to refill an empty cartridge that might be smoother? Do I need a lubricating ink to make it smoother?
Thanks for the help!

Sailor Kenshin
January 5th, 2016, 08:23 AM
I don't think Preppies are disposable, unless there's a model I don't know about (and I own about a half-dozen, lol).

Took a look at the PN-900. It seems to have a very fine nib, so it might be more scratchy. The Platinum inks are, after all, made for Platinum pens, but you can try experimenting with inks.

Noodler's makes an 'Eel' series that's supposed to be lubricating. Anderson and Goulet all sell ink samples. Good luck....interesting little pen!

dmitch86
January 5th, 2016, 08:30 AM
I apologize you are totally correct. When I first ordered my preppy it was listed as a "disposable fountain pen".. I've got 1 I've used for almost a year and a couple back ups still in the wrapper just in case I lose mine. I just got used to seeing them listed on various sites as disposable... no idea why someone would throw one away though. I love my Preppy!

Sailor Kenshin
January 5th, 2016, 09:17 AM
I apologize you are totally correct. When I first ordered my preppy it was listed as a "disposable fountain pen".. I've got 1 I've used for almost a year and a couple back ups still in the wrapper just in case I lose mine. I just got used to seeing them listed on various sites as disposable... no idea why someone would throw one away though. I love my Preppy!

They are excellent pens and I love 'em, too!

I looked at the reviews for the PN-900...they don't seem all that positive. For the same price, you can buy a Plaisir, which is basically a metal-bodied Preppy. Need I mention I also own about a half-dozen, and the Preppy/Plaisir sections are interchangable? ;)

Try another ink, but the PN-900 may never feel Preppy-smooth. You can always attempt some nib-smoothing with a four-way manicure buff stick/pad.

dmitch86
January 5th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Thanks, yeah I seen those reviews before I bought the FN-900... but i just LOVE the way it looks. If I can get any improvement in the writing that would be great. I'll try some inks before anything else. I would be afraid I'd damage something trying to smoothen the nib. I'll also take a look at the Plaisir.

RudyR
January 6th, 2016, 02:07 PM
I would second the suggestions to move to a better pen. Also remember this, Platinum blue/black cartridges contain iron gall ink which tends to write drier and so you will get more feedback on your nib. Adding a finer nib to the formula and you will get a higher amount of feedback.

Many people who move up from ballpoint or roller ball writing instruments expect similar experiences from fountain pens and often feel that feedback is a negative quality. Since I started writing with a pencil and moved up to a fountain pen, I naturally feel different about feedback and desire it more that the so called buttery smooth nib. To me, too much buttery smooth feels like sliding on ice.