View Full Version : New M 800 Grand Palace

jkingrph
January 5th, 2016, 03:00 PM
I just got an email announcing a new special/limited edition

http://www.nibs.com/pelikan-m800-grand-place-special-edition.htm

Anne
January 5th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Oh No...very pretty;)
Sadly, the price is still too much for me even on sale. I think many people will be excited by the 18k Extra Broad.
At least they still offer the stub and italic nibs...
Thanks for posting this jkingrph!
If you buy it, show us a review.

SeminarianMike
January 5th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Agreed very pretty I'd love a fine or EF with added flex

DASEFnib
January 6th, 2016, 03:12 AM
If I didn't have an M800 Burnt Orange coming next month...I'd be ALL OVER this!!!:facepalm:
Gotta shrink my "plastic" down before venturing forth into "Bird Country"!!:(

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Chrissy
January 6th, 2016, 04:26 AM
Is it Grand Place or Grand Palace?

jkingrph
January 6th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Place

chojo
January 6th, 2016, 08:29 AM
That is a seriously good looking pen! If my credit card was not still recovering from christmas I'd be poorly tempted.

anarcyintheukay
January 6th, 2016, 04:49 PM
wow so very pretty

dannzeman
January 11th, 2016, 08:16 AM
I'm gonna go against the grain here by saying it doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll hold out for the Vibrant Blue coming afterwards.

Robert
January 11th, 2016, 04:45 PM
I will likely pass on the Grand Place as well. I would really like to see Pelikan issue an M800 in colors similar to the M101n tortoise (the original one, not the red tortoise).

In the meantime I'll be content with my Burnt Orange, which is a really lovely pen - - especially when filled with Iro yama-guri.

The Good Captain
January 12th, 2016, 01:40 AM
It does look a nice pen but it doesn't look as if it will be available in the UK from the usual distributors. However, the M620 San Francisco in the Cities series, that I managed to get recently, is very similar and suits me perfectly.
I think I'll just hope that the theoretical M400 Brown Tortoise does get produced and is available in the UK. That's my sole proposed pen purchase for 2016.
After this morning's...!)

Pelikan-Vera
January 12th, 2016, 11:18 AM
would anybody know where in the EU this nice bird would be on offer? Or is it a US exclusive? thanks for letting me know in advance. Vera

Buster99
January 12th, 2016, 01:53 PM
From what I have seen on "thepelikansperch" and on German forums the M800 Grand Place will be on offer in the Netherlands-Belgium-Luxemburg and Italy.
While the material used does appeal to me, actual desirability will greatly depend on whether the barrel will be translucent in order to show the ink level.
As much as I welcome these new "special versions" i feel that Pelikan should retain some of the characteristic values, the burnt orange did away with the ink window and that made it a nog go for me. Another issue for the " Souverän" line, and all the top line PeliKans is the limited choice of nibs. It feels that they are gradually nibbling away at the distinguishing features of these pens while still wanting top prices for them, an unbalanced combination :cry: .
While being a real fan of Pelikan fountain pens the newer ones simply do not attract me as much as the older and vintage models.
That being said I would immediately go weak when they will offer the M800 in the original tortoise material as user Robert suggested, a M800 in original lizard material would make me buy even quicker! :)

Hawk
February 3rd, 2016, 07:36 PM
Sharon and I got our Grand Place pens today. They are nicer than the link photos. One small disappointment is the lack of a usable ink window. One has to use a strong background light. The swirl pattern is less transparent than the M600 Red-O-Red or Ruby Red, whatever it is called. Since the pen has a large ink capacity, it is not a huge factor for me. Size wise, I prefer the larger M800 size rather than the M600, which is good. The pattern of the pen makes it fit into most any occasion. With that said, holding the Grand Place and the Tortoise side by side, the Tortoise is a more formal pen that complements formal uses, if that makes sense. Both pens have their place in my pen rotation and I am happy that my credit card allowed the purchase. Since it is a Pelikan, the fit and finish of the pen is great as usual. These pens were fine nibs and write slightly less broad than the other Pelikan fine nibs I own.

tandaina
February 3rd, 2016, 07:51 PM
I didn't like this material the first time they used it, don't like it any better now. So I too will totally pass!

franzdimson
February 3rd, 2016, 08:41 PM
Got the the M800 last Monday. And I love it for sure.

The chatoyance is quite difficult to photograph especially using the iPhone camera.

penhappy
February 4th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Franz,

Beautiful pen! What size nib did you choose?
Enjoy your Grand Place!

franzdimson
February 4th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Franz,

Beautiful pen! What size nib did you choose?
Enjoy your Grand Place!

Thank you! I really love the material on this pen.

I got a fine nib but it was ground into a cursive italic by Dan Smith. He did an awesome job with it.

nusiax
February 6th, 2016, 03:20 AM
Oh what a fabulous pen. Love it. Enjoy.

ilangai
February 29th, 2016, 02:26 AM
That is an amazing material!!
I'm looking for the M620 version (as M600 size is better for me).. Enjoy it!