PDA

View Full Version : Limited Edition Edison Nouveau Encore!

bgray
November 16th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Hi Pen Fans!

We at Edison are proud to introduce our third Limited Edition collaboration pen with the Goulet Pen Company.

This time we have taken the Encore, and created something special around it.

What makes this pen most special is the material used. This is Flecked Tortoise Acrylic. This is a material that I've wanted to use in a Production Pen or Limited Edition setting for a real long time, but there's always been some obstacles to using it outside of the Signature Line until now.

First, it's rather expensive. This is an Italian-made resin that comes to me at a much higher cost. I couldn't possibly do this as a Production Line pen without raising price.

Next, my supplier of this material has never had enough inventory to allow me to get quantities where I could create more than about 10 pens at a time. I must have caught them at a good time, as I've been lucky enough to secure enough rods for a good sized Limited Edition.

So I'm very happy to be able to offer a really special material that normally is only used in Signature Line pens (due to cost and availability) in a more affordable version! I honestly don't want to sound like I'm trying to overly "sell" this material, but it's one of my personal favorites! The pen in the photos has been my personal user at my desk since we first prototyped the Encore almost a year ago. I'm trusting the Goulet's to take good care of this one, and get it back to me very soon! Honestly, if there were ever a chance to get a material that is usually too costly and hard to acquire at a Production price, this is the time!

Also worthy of note is that this is the only Production version of the Encore with gold trim on the clip, centerband, and medallion.

This pen will be pre-ordered within a buying period that is scheduled to end Friday, November 30. Granted that the materials arrive from overseas in a timely fashion, we are hoping to have the pen ready for shipping late December, perhaps early January. Timely manufacturing updates will occur as we progress, so there will be no surprises on the shipping date.

Price is $185 with a steel nib.

More photos, all details, and buying information can be found here on the Goulet Encore LE Page. (http://www.gouletpens.com/Edison_Nouveau_Encore_Flecked_Tortoise_LE_p/en-encore-ft-le.htm)

Thanks!

Brian at Edison

http://edisonpen.com/userfiles/image/Encore%20Capped.jpg

http://edisonpen.com/userfiles/image/Encore%20Posted.jpg

http://edisonpen.com/userfiles/image/Encore%20Closeup.jpg

bgray
November 18th, 2012, 12:56 PM
And here is a video that the Goulet's just released regarding this pen...

http://youtu.be/J6G2oqOTmsA

KrazyIvan
November 18th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Very elegant looking pen!

fpquest
November 25th, 2012, 01:01 PM
It's a great color. The other Encores didn't appeal to me personally but as soon as I saw this one I had to order it as my holiday pen.

Bogon07
November 25th, 2012, 04:27 PM
It's a great color. The other Encores didn't appeal to me personally but as soon as I saw this one I had to order it as my holiday pen.
Is that another way of saying your Christmas present to yourself ?

It is a very nice looking pen. I'm usually not too keen on gold trim but it goes so well on this one.

Bogon07
November 25th, 2012, 04:28 PM

It is a very nice looking pen. I'm usually not too keen on gold trim but it goes so well on this one.

I wonder how many pens will be in this production run ?

inky
November 25th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Hopefully at least two. FPquests and the one that I ordered!

Bogon07
December 9th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Brian Goulet's Inknouveau blog has some progress pictures of the pens and it seems around 70 have been pre-ordered.
http://www.inknouveau.com/2012/12/edison-nouveau-encore-flecked-tortoise.html

Mr Goulet has anoher update with further pictures:
http://www.inknouveau.com/2012/12/more-encore-le-pics.html
and a link to Brian at Edison's gallery of them:
http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Other/LE-Encore-2012/26951465_Cthkb4#!i=2266868119&k=4d3jTS2

In the words of the Pointer Sisters 'I'm so excited' . Gee that is an old song isn't it !

Bogon07
December 17th, 2012, 03:55 PM
There are some more photos on the Edison Pen Co site of work in progress. Lots of drilling....I wonder what happens to the shavings or whatever the drilled out bits are called ?

This photo shows just over 70 pens which I supose is the complete LE run.

fpquest
December 17th, 2012, 05:43 PM

Exactly.

Bogon07
December 22nd, 2012, 06:57 PM
http://www.inknouveau.com/2012/12/edison-nouveau-encore-les-completed.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+inknouveau+%28Ink+Nouveau%29 Brian Goulet advised the pens are now completed and on their way to his shop for distribution after Christmas.

Bogon07
January 7th, 2013, 01:36 AM
A box from Goulet Pens arrived today. It contained the stunning Edison Nouveau LE #25 of 70 !

John the Monkey
January 7th, 2013, 02:25 AM
Congratulations Bogon, it's a really beautiful pen.

I thought it was funny that, in the Goulet video, Brian G kept saying that it was hard to show off the material in pictures/video, and that it looked much better in real life. All the while, I was thinking "You know, it looks pretty good right there in the video..."

snedwos
January 7th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Brian G could stand for Gray or Goulet... I think Brian Gray should deed poll his name to Edison, just to stop the rest of us being confused...

I thought the video captured it quite well, because you can see how it changes when you move it, which is why they look flatter in stills.

KrazyIvan
January 7th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Congrats on your first Edison Bogon. :)

earthdawn
January 8th, 2013, 12:56 AM
A box from Goulet Pens arrived today. It contained the stunning Edison Nouveau LE #25 of 70 !

HEY !!!!

Wheres the pictures !!!!!!!

Ya know everytime these limited group buys come around I say "Ahhh its so far off till they are made and sent and I actually get it.. yea yea yea."

Then before you know it everyone who got in is getting theres and I say "what the heck was I thinking... I would have had it now!" lol

Big congrats Bogon07, it looks like it was a real hit and a beautiful creation by Brian once again.

John the Monkey
January 8th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Brian G could stand for Gray or Goulet... I think Brian Gray should deed poll his name to Edison, just to stop the rest of us being confused...

I APPROVE OF THIS MESSAGE. :)

(I did mean Mr Goulet, btw).

inky
January 8th, 2013, 06:36 AM
I reviced #48 of 70. It is a beautiful pen! A bit smaller then I was expecting but still very comfortable to hold. I think that owes to the way the section tapers. I tend to hold it right under the threads and it writes wonderfully with the included steal medium nib I chose. Now on to find the perfect ink to pair this pen with! Waterman Absolute brown is close!

Bogon07
January 8th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys. It really is beautiful. I haven't much of a chance to use yet do to the migraine and then the extreme heat yesterday.
I did manage to load it with Noodler's #41 (also in the same order) which was I recall the ink Brian Goulet used to demonstrate with. Very nice to write with the F nib, smoother than the Lamy F.

I reviced #48 of 70. It is a beautiful pen! A bit smaller then I was expecting but still very comfortable to hold. I think that owes to the way the section tapers. I tend to hold it right under the threads and it writes wonderfully with the included steal medium nib I chose. Now on to find the perfect ink to pair this pen with! Waterman Absolute brown is close!

Inky congrats on being #48. I wonder how they assigned the numbers because I'm sure I ordered after you and Fpquest ?
I too was surprised by the size and lightness of it. It actually seemed noticably heavier with ink in it !?

Noodler's Golden Brown or maybe Iroshizuku Ina-ho (Rice Ear) would also go well with the pen.

fpquest
January 10th, 2013, 04:58 PM
I got 07 of 70. I like the palindrome"ish" nature of it. I knew it would be smaller than my other Edisons but like inky I find it comfortable enough to hold. I filled it with Diamine Ancient Copper but haven't had a chance to use it a lot. I love the translucence of the pen, especially the cap.

inky
January 10th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys. It really is beautiful. I haven't much of a chance to use yet do to the migraine and then the extreme heat yesterday.
I did manage to load it with Noodler's #41 (also in the same order) which was I recall the ink Brian Goulet used to demonstrate with. Very nice to write with the F nib, smoother than the Lamy F.

Inky congrats on being #48. I wonder how they assigned the numbers because I'm sure I ordered after you and Fpquest ?
I too was surprised by the size and lightness of it. It actually seemed noticably heavier with ink in it !?

Noodler's Golden Brown or maybe Iroshizuku Ina-ho (Rice Ear) would also go well with the pen.

Thanks Bogon! I'm not sure how they assigned numbers either. I don't mind being #48 though, I'm just glad I got one! I was on the fence for awhile just because of the size of the pen. I kept looking at the regular Encores at the Goulet's site and comparing them to the Premier that I already have. I finally had to pull the trigger based solely on the fact that I had to have that material! I'm so glad I did, the pen is quickly working it's way up the ranks in my rotation. It's actually bumped the Lamy 2K out for the time being!

I think I will pick up some samples of the inks you suggested, I also plan on getting a sample of the Ancient Copper that fpquest suggested. For now It has Waterman Florida blue in it but that will probably shift to the Noodler's 54th Massachusetts that I just received.

I have noticed that like Brian Goulet stated in his video, the medium #5 does appear to be wetter then the #6 nibs I've used. Anyone else notice that? I may have to get a separate Bold nib to satisfy the days I just want a gusher of a pen!

Bogon07
January 11th, 2013, 11:33 PM
I got 07 of 70. I like the palindrome"ish" nature of it. I knew it would be smaller than my other Edisons but like inky I find it comfortable enough to hold. I filled it with Diamine Ancient Copper but haven't had a chance to use it a lot. I love the translucence of the pen, especially the cap.

Fpquest 07 is great number sort of makes a reversible line. Yes the translucence is fascinating as you say especially the cap through which you can see the nib. The pen is a touch longer than the gold/brown Parker Vacumatic, they make a nice pair. Inky, I rec'd 54th Massachusetts in the same parcel as the pen. So for it is looking like a very nice blue/dark grey colour in the Lamy Pur (F).