PDA

View Full Version : Hand turned pen nib adjustment

SeminarianMike
January 6th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Hello all! Many of you have greeted my friend jake from the seminary I am in. He has a hand turned pen he dropped on the nib. The feed is out of like and its bent out of shape. The pen is a kit pen from pen state industries. Do any of you know how to remove the nib so I can work on it? It seems really tight... Please let me know I would like to get his pen writing for him. God bless Mike

SeminarianMike
January 6th, 2016, 01:29 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/06/babbe6737d66ff746311f8fe14574e8f.jpg how do I get this nib out, hope now someone will know what I'm talking about

mhosea
January 6th, 2016, 01:45 PM
The #1 step is thorough, thorough cleaning. Ink works like glue on a tight-fitting nib and feed.

Having said that, kit pens are usually (always?) cartridge/converter pens. Generally speaking, cartridge/converter pen nibs and feeds are friction-fit, and there's no good alternative to pulling them. You will hear about people "knocking out" nibs and feeds, but that is not for cartridge/converter pens because the back of the feed is mostly shrouded by the feed cup and piercing tube. Whenever trying to pull a nib and feed, be sure to press them tightly together so that the nib will lend support to the feed. But don't pull too hard. You can try heating the section, as a little expansion of the containing parts can't hurt. Generally kit pens have steel nibs, and in that case you can usually get away with "wiggling" out the nib, pushing it side to side and trying to work it out. Once the nib is out, the feed is usually easy to remove.

SeminarianMike
January 6th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Thank you so much !!!

SeminarianMike
January 6th, 2016, 05:19 PM
The dang nib came out but the feed is like stuck In there... Will any goulet nibs fit these kit pens?

mhosea
January 6th, 2016, 05:30 PM
Will any goulet nibs fit these kit pens?

Dunno. Probably it's a #5 or #6. At xFountainpens.com, Knox K26 or Knox K35. What's the diameter of the feed? How long is the nib from bow to stern?

SeminarianMike
January 6th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Whttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/06/0f7074e9910003520e55c3a5e677f7bc.jpg. Can't get the feed out hope this pic helps

SeminarianMike
January 6th, 2016, 05:52 PM
That's a rhodia dot pad btw

mhosea
January 6th, 2016, 06:32 PM
I'm going to say #5, or K26 at xFountainpens.com. Nib doesn't look bad, though. Probably just needs re-tuning.

Wile E Coyote
January 7th, 2016, 03:59 AM
You could just order a whole kit (https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKEL2F1.html) from PSI and use the section from the kit.

penwash
January 7th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Mike, I think you still want to take the feed out. Why? In my experience, even if you find a suitable nib, it won't install properly if you leave the feed in and just try to snuggle the nib. It's best to have the nib and the feed goes in together.

FWIW, many days of soaking in cold water and trying is *not* abnormal to take out stubborn feed, keep at it.

SeminarianMike
January 7th, 2016, 08:08 AM
He wants to upgrade the nib. Even when this nib was new it was pretty bad... Even thou I've tuned it... its no good. where should i get a new nib and feed?

jar
January 7th, 2016, 10:02 AM
He wants to upgrade the nib. Even when this nib was new it was pretty bad... Even thou I've tuned it... its no good. where should i get a new nib and feed?

Try PSI (https://www.pennstateind.com/).

mhosea
January 7th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Mike, I think you still want to take the feed out. Why? In my experience, even if you find a suitable nib, it won't install properly if you leave the feed in and just try to snuggle the nib. It's best to have the nib and the feed goes in together.

FWIW, many days of soaking in cold water and trying is *not* abnormal to take out stubborn feed, keep at it.

+1

An ultrasonic cleaner may help speed the process.

Personally, if I just needed the nib and not the feed, then I'd get it from xFountainpens.com for $8.99. Toss in at least $6.01 in other stuff (ink or whatever), and you get free shipping. The plating on the Knox nibs is nicely done, or at least the ones I got a few years looked quite nice, and they tune up nicely. With any nib replacement, there's a good chance you will need to refit the plastic feed using just boiled hot water to soften it up a little, as the feed may push up on the nib (too tight) or (more commonly), the gap between the nib and feed at the end might be too large.

Replacing the feed without replacing the entire nib unit presents a lot of opportunities for things not to fit quite right. Is the feed damaged?