PDA

View Full Version : Monteverde Prima Fountain Pen

Newtonslife
November 17th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Just received my First Monteverde Fountain pen,this was bought from an online shop here in the uk.

Overall I thought this is a lovely pen the finish of the "Plastic" is very nice indeed

I would rate the balance of this to be very good indeed

The nib is fairly smooth and a bit finer than I expected
I really like the way the tigers eye swirl catches the light
highly recommended :)

(opps perhaps this should be in the reviews section)

Bogon07
November 18th, 2012, 03:24 PM
The Monteverde Prima is on my wishlist of pens. I particularly like the swirly pattern ones .. the brown, tiger eye and green.
Your pen looks very nice in the photos. It is good to hear that is it writes fairly smoothly; I'm tempted by the 1.1 stub nib.

brownargus
January 30th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Hoping to get a black fine one shortly

snedwos
January 30th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I was desperately disappointed to find that nowhere in the UK had the turquoise swirl pen, which is the one I wanted...

Bogon07
February 17th, 2013, 10:04 PM
The pattern on the Edison Beumont Pneumatic in this month's giveaway banner looks a lot like these swirly Primas.
http://www.gouletpens.com/Monteverde_Prima_Fountain_Pens_s/1332.htm

KrazyIvan
February 18th, 2013, 09:18 AM
It does. The Edison looks more vibrant I think.

Bogon07
February 18th, 2013, 02:48 PM
It does. The Edison looks more vibrant I think.

Brian Gray is probably a bit more descerning in his choise of materials and more attention to polishing.

KrazyIvan
February 18th, 2013, 03:48 PM
It also looks like the glitter content is high on the MonteVerde. The Edison looks more matte but with opalescence.

brownargus
February 23rd, 2013, 10:40 AM
Hoping to get a black fine one shortly
The pen arrived a few days ago. I chose a medium nib because I was advised that they write finer than the equivalent European grading. At first, the nib seemed to be writing finer than I expected. When I examined it through a loupe the tines were very sightly misaligned. A careful bit of thumb-nail quickly corrected the situation and the pen is now very smooth with a good flow. Overall, despite this minor glitch, I am very pleased with the pen. It appears to be well made with good quality materials and must be one of the best value pens in that price range (£41 in UK) comparing favourably with more expensive pens.

southpaw52
February 24th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Very nice looking pen, very eye catching pattern.

Bogon07
February 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I'm really itching to get my hands on the Green Swirl with 1.1 Stub and hoping it will arrive by the end of this week.

menunes
March 7th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I'm really itching to get my hands on the Green Swirl with 1.1 Stub and hoping it will arrive by the end of this week.

So, How do you find your Prima? I got mine a pair of weeks ago, (a 1.1 black stub), it's my first stub and I really like the look and feel of writing with a stub, so I bought a 1.1 stub nib for my Safari Al Star too. Comparing both pens I feel the Prima a bit heavy on the hand a a little dry, specially in a long writing session on more absorbent paper. The nib feels a bit "chunky" to me. I don't know, I have mixed feelings about the pen, I love the italic, but it's a somewhat dry nib.

Can anyone advise me if I can work on this pen (making the thines open up), or should I keep writing with it until I find the pen comfortable to my hand.

Thanks

Bogon07
March 7th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Menunes, Yes I was surprised at how heavy the pen is. On further examination most of the weight is in the cap and then there is a lot of it right at the logocap-clip part. Writing un-posted there is a marked difference and feels quite comfortable - lighter than a Lamy Studio.

At the moment it is filled with Noodler's Gruene Cactus Eel and writes very wet and wide. It appears noticably wider than my Lamy 1.1 italic nibs. I'm going to have to try with a different ink to see if that affects the width of line. Also maybe still some water in the pen after flushing it before filling.
I've only had it a week or so and still getting used to it.

bulbboy
March 7th, 2013, 07:11 PM
I bought the Prima blue striped one a couple of weeks ago. Love it!

menunes
March 8th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Menunes, Yes I was surprised at how heavy the pen is. On further examination most of the weight is in the cap and then there is a lot of it right at the logocap-clip part. Writing un-posted there is a marked difference and feels quite comfortable - lighter than a Lamy Studiot.

Bogon07, you are quite right about that difference, the Lamy 1.1 italic is smaller. So far I inked the Prima several times with J Herfin Éclat de Saphir, Diamine Sirah and I am presently using Monblanc Seaweed Green (Jonathan Swift). Of these, the wetter was the Sirah. I don't know how these classify int terms of lubrication, I might try a eel ink in the future.

snedwos
March 8th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Actually, with the eel inks, adding water should make it *less* wet, since you'd be diluting the surfactant. I have found a couple of Noodler's inks too wet, and diluting them has helped the issue.

UK Mike
April 27th, 2013, 04:18 AM
Very good review - even if you didn't mean it to be a review :)

I have two identical Primas, both Tigers Eye and both with medium nibs - and I LOVE them!

I bought them separately from Amazon UK at approximately half price - one of them being a customers return and one being "old" stock. In each case I did a little smoothing of the nibs and they both had very tight tines which reponded well to a little easing. They both now write beautifully and feel quite vintage, especially that lovely sound when you are capping or uncapping them. Definitely in my Top 5 pens amongst a group that includes Viscontis and is the lowest priced pen of the Top 5, beating things like the Pelikan 800. I usually post the cap, but the size and balance is good either way.

It is one of those pens which attracts favourable comments whenever it is used in public. Highly recommended.