PDA

View Full Version : Lamy 2000...Titanium

stevekolt
January 12th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Any info on a Lamy 2000 FP in titanium? I've seen it as a ballpoint, IF I remember correctly, but have not been able to find any info regarding a titanium FP. Would appreciate any info, and a dealer with it in stock would be even better :thumb:

lsmith42
January 12th, 2016, 10:07 PM
None yet. Still waiting as well.

RNHC
January 20th, 2016, 06:56 AM
My money is on 50th anniversary edition of Lamy 2000 being titanium. I wonder how much titanium Lamy 2000 would weigh. Titanium pens always seem to weigh more than stainless steel bodied pens.

gbryal
January 20th, 2016, 10:07 AM
My money is on 50th anniversary edition of Lamy 2000 being titanium. I wonder how much titanium Lamy 2000 would weigh. Titanium pens always seem to weigh more than stainless steel bodied pens.

If that is so, there must be something else in the pen: titanium has a density a little over half of stainless steel, depending on the alloy.

RNHC
January 25th, 2016, 09:52 PM
If that is so, there must be something else in the pen: titanium has a density a little over half of stainless steel, depending on the alloy.

That's what I thought too but mtnbiker62 gave a plausible explanation on why titanium pen would weigh more than stainless steel pen.

"As far as the weight issue of the pen, titanium is lighter than steel, but heavier than aluminum, and the two versions of the pen are aluminum and titanium. The problem with/advantage of titanium is the properties of the metal. I worked in the bicycle industry for a few years when titanium bikes were all the rage, and we faced the same issue. An equivalent amount of titanium will be lighter than steel, but it will also be more flexible. As a result, more titanium was needed to give a bike the same stiffness as a steel bike, thus (at least partially) nullifying the weight advantage. There are other properties of titanium that make it attractive (corrosion resistance, for instance, or resistance to grain changes due to flexing), but weight is not usually going to be the reason you would pick titanium."

jvlgato
January 26th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Makes sense. I have a titanium watch, and chose it because it's lighter than stainless steel. However, it is a bit more vulnerable to scratches.

I'd guess a titanium 2000 would be lighter than its stainless steel equal, but a bit more scratch prone.

bowlingb
March 13th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Makes sense. I have a titanium watch, and chose it because it's lighter than stainless steel. However, it is a bit more vulnerable to scratches.

I'd guess a titanium 2000 would be lighter than its stainless steel equal, but a bit more scratch prone.

For the ball pen, the SS version is 4.6 oz and the titanium version is 5 oz.

myu
June 23rd, 2016, 12:16 PM
Actually, there have been tremendous strides made with Titanium, with respect to scratches. It all comes down to the coating. For instance, Citizen uses a Duratect coating on their titanium cased watches that is impressively resistant to scratching (though not impervious). I hope they do come out with a 2000 FP in titanium, as the stainless steel version is a bit too heavy for my taste.

inklord
June 23rd, 2016, 12:34 PM
No L2k Ti FP to date, and unlikely to happen soon unless Lamy has a real bombshell up its sleeve...

Laura N
July 1st, 2016, 02:48 PM
Here it is: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/16716-Lamy-2000-50th-anniversary-edition

I am intrigued, but the big issue for me will be the weight. If it's as heavy as the stainless steel one, I can't use it.

catbert
July 1st, 2016, 08:24 PM
Excellent. That's a theoretical €500 saved to put towards other pens ... :)

inklord
July 2nd, 2016, 09:11 AM

You could get about three regular L2k's from a US retsailer and have at least one of them outfitted with a custom nib grind... :)

catbert
July 2nd, 2016, 04:49 PM

You could get about three regular L2k's from a US retsailer and have at least one of them outfitted with a custom nib grind... :)

That's what I thought. :)

If it had been a closer variation of the original makrolon pen for around $300 I might have gone for it.

RNHC
July 4th, 2016, 08:23 AM
So it's about 413 euros without VAT... at current exchange rate, that's about $460 US. That's a bit pricey.

inklord
July 4th, 2016, 08:28 AM
BTW, we're still not sure if it's a titanium pen or just some titanium PVD coating...

RNHC
July 6th, 2016, 12:10 PM
If it's just titanium coating then it's definitely not worth the money.

Laura N
July 6th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Actually, now it's not titanium. Bummer. Just heavy stainless steel. Per the Goulet blog (http://blog.gouletpens.com/2016/07/sneak-peek-lamy-2000-le-lamy-lx.html), no doubt quoting Lamy, it's "made out of blasted stainless steel, with a special warm satin galvanic finish to give it a soft gunmetal look."

I love Lamy's marketing words -- "special warm satin galvanic finish" and not just a "gunmetal look" but a "soft gunmetal look."

Though of course I like my gunmetal soft, and my galvanic finishes warm and special. Don't settle for less. :)

TSherbs
July 6th, 2016, 06:00 PM
A "warm, Satanic finish" would really be something. :eek:

Laura N
July 6th, 2016, 06:03 PM
They save Satanic for the price. :)

TSherbs
July 6th, 2016, 06:28 PM
ha!!

dunivanb
July 17th, 2016, 09:33 AM
After such a good year they really missed the mark on this one.

inklord
July 17th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Well, folks: this will be an amazing pen, it will sell like crazy, and some of us expecting something completely different won't change a thing about that... Just look at it this way: lots of people thought the Lamy 2000M will be a flop because they didn't like it, turns out, there's enough people loving it to make it a success. When will people begin to realize that disappointments are the result of our expectations being off the mark, not the events?
Oh, and regarding the price: Have you checked what gold-nibbed, piston filled plain old plastic pens from other manufacturers cost these days? ;)

Woody
September 8th, 2016, 08:57 PM
It's going to be a heavy pen.