PDA

View Full Version : Car Boot Sale Eversharp Find

LadyPenelope
January 13th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Rummaging through a drawer today I found a car boot sale find - an Eversharp pencil I bought in a small heap of stuff, probably paid £1 or £2 for the lot. So decided to clean it up this morning, and have a quick research, prior to selling it on eBay... (Which was why I bought it in the first place!)

Of course, now I've researched a bit I want to keep it. Doh.

I think it dates from 1924-8 (because of the clip style and length of point). Nice chevron pattern and it even still had the original lead in it. I also have the box and original instructions. It was 'Made In England'. Apparently, the top bit pulls off to reveal an eraser but I've had no luck removing it.

Looks unworn, probably pretty well unused. Apparently the Yard-O-Led leads will fit although it has some original lead for now. I do a lot of research in the local archives where pens are banned, and 'normal' pencils I find difficult to write with as I have small writing and not allowed even to take a sharpener in the archives, so this will get some use!

Just wanted to share it with folk who'd enjoy it. I can't believe I bought it then forgot. Will just have to look out for another to sell on the Bay as I really don't want to part with this. That said, it's only silver plate so if a hallmarked one came up, I'd probably keep that and sell this! I have seen other boxed ones from time to time and usually going for just a quid or two, so will pounce next time I see one.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/SarahGampsUmbrella/IMAG1565_zpsrgssovbt.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/SarahGampsUmbrella/IMAG1563_zps5kj9kgtk.jpg

Denizzz
January 21st, 2016, 12:21 PM
Penelope, nice find! I have found one as well.. a gold - filled version. It takes quite expensive leads - the 1.18 mm.

Lady Onogaro
January 21st, 2016, 06:50 PM
That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it, Lady Penelope. I don't think I could sell it either. I would keep it and use it.

Bisquitlips
February 6th, 2016, 12:13 AM
I admire the old vintage Whals and love writing with them.

Wish more companies would come up to these standards! :)

SIR
March 13th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Nice!
I ain't been to a car boot in decades...

jonveley
March 13th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Penelope, nice find! I have found one as well.. a gold - filled version. It takes quite expensive leads - the 1.18 mm.

Not really - I offer these leads in a varieties of colors and hardnesses at $3 for a dozen over at Legendary Lead Company. Fear not the big bad leads!

Jon

TAYLORPUPPY
March 25th, 2016, 09:29 AM
After you get a good chuckle, would some one tell what a car boot is?
Thanx and please forgive my ignorance

Deb
March 25th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Heat should help with removing the top part.

LadyPenelope
March 28th, 2016, 03:35 PM
On another thread but I've more recently got a gold Yard O Led pencil still in the box for £1!

It looks to be an early one, from all I can find out. Just seen an almost identical one on eBay for £95! Needless to say, I'm selling the Yard O Led and keeping my Eversharp - although I guess the Eversharp is the cheaper of the two, I just love it and have used it a lot since I found it again!

jbb
May 8th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Does anyone know how to fix one of these older Wahl Eversharp Pencils? I think mine is clogged but can't seem to unclog it.

amk
May 9th, 2016, 01:06 AM
Try gently twisting a drill bit into the nozzle to remove any compacted bits.