PDA

View Full Version : Best/Cheapest place to get nibs?

dmitch86
January 14th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Whats the cheapest place to get nibs? Looking to order an extra fine, to replace a fine nib.

Thanks

tandaina
January 14th, 2016, 12:34 PM
That's not *nearly* enough information.

WHAT nib do you need? An Omas 14k Paragon nib? A generic #5 or #6 steel nib? A pilot vanishing point nib? You are going to have to be a lot more specific before anyone can give you any realistic help at all.

dmitch86
January 14th, 2016, 12:46 PM
I apologize, I thought all the Lamy's took the same nib. I am needing a nib for a Lamy Safari.

tandaina
January 14th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I apologize, I thought all the Lamy's took the same nib. I am needing a nib for a Lamy Safari.

You forgot to say it was a Lamy you were looking for. ;) (And no, not all Lamy pens take the same nibs)

Goulet Pens is the simplest answer.

mhosea
January 14th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Just an explanation for the confusion...a lot of us use the "New Posts" feature to find new posts, and so we might not notice what forum a question is posted to.

amk
January 14th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Not quite all Lamy's share the same nib - the Lamy 2000 is sui generis. But yes, Safari shares its nibs with most of the other Lamy families including the Studio and Accent. Goulet Pens has a guide: http://blog.gouletpens.com/2011/04/sharing-your-lamy-nibs-on-studio-accent.html

One of the really nice things about it being that if you happen to fancy a gold nib in your Safari, you could just go ahead and buy one!

If you're only ordering a (steel) nib, shipping costs could be a consideration. I don't know about the US, but in Europe Lamy is very well supported with a lot of retailers (graphic arts shops as well as pen shops) offering spare nibs, so an arts supplier might be worth trying before you order if there's anywhere local to you.

tandaina
January 14th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Yup, just realized this was posted in the Lamy forum. I browse this site *only* via the "New Posts" feature which means I really don't see *where* things are posted. So it's good practice to pretend there isn't sub categories and always give detailed info in these posts or they are really super confusing. :P Sorry for missing that, but I'm guessing I wasn't the only one. ;)

ppmiranda
January 14th, 2016, 05:03 PM
I was confused too, tandaina.

May I use this thread to ask where can I buy a Lamy gold nib? I have a Studio with steel nib and I think it deserves the upgrade.

amk
January 15th, 2016, 01:53 AM
The Writing Desk has them in the UK: http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduct.php?brand=Lamy&range=Gold+nibs&cat=Spares. I've dealt with TWD several times and always had a good experience, and they do ship internationally.

I don't know if Lamy's policy is different in the US but neither Goulet nor Jet Pens carry the gold nibs.

ppmiranda
January 15th, 2016, 04:23 AM
The Writing Desk has them in the UK: http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduct.php?brand=Lamy&range=Gold+nibs&cat=Spares. I've dealt with TWD several times and always had a good experience, and they do ship internationally.

I don't know if Lamy's policy is different in the US but neither Goulet nor Jet Pens carry the gold nibs.

Thanks for the answer. In fact it's really hard to find spare gold nibs in America (I'm not referring to US only).

stub
January 15th, 2016, 06:57 AM
What's the best place?

:boink:

:bathbaby:

:noidea:

:bolt:

dmitch86
January 15th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even realize you could buy the gold nibs. I think they might be a little to pricey for me to swap onto a Safari though, but they sure look nice.

stub
January 15th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even realize you could buy the gold nibs. I think they might be a little to pricey for me to swap onto a Safari though, but they sure look nice.

They feel different too. Bouncy & often wetter too (generally).