PDA

View Full Version : Horror Stories About Fountain Pens??

Anne
January 15th, 2016, 02:47 PM
I have heard the advice of not passing your fountain pen around, but...

Have you ever done this and have a story you wouldn't mind sharing?
Maybe not a horror story, but a Funny story about letting a non-fountain pen user hold OR use your fountain pen.
I have let people write with mine ( and I try not to hover over them like they are holding my first born ).

Disclaimer: I am in no way advocating Not letting non-fountain pen users experience what we all love about them. After all, that is how we recruit more Fountain Pen Lovers!

jar
January 15th, 2016, 05:09 PM
I've never had any problems letting folk use my pens but they do get a short course along with the experience.

pajaro
January 15th, 2016, 05:13 PM
My wife wanted to use my favorite Montblanc 144 bordeaux pen to do wedding invitations. I was anxious about it, needlessly. I don't let outsiders use my pens now, because I don't want their germs.

gbryal
January 15th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I gifted a pen on two occasions to my friend and on both he popped off the cap and got ink all over his hands. Don't know if that's on me, him, or the pen, but it never happened to me.

Anne
January 15th, 2016, 05:27 PM
My wife wanted to use my favorite Montblanc 144 bordeaux pen to do wedding invitations. I was anxious about it, needlessly. I don't let outsiders use my pens now, because I don't want their germs.

Yes - I didn't think of that. I haven't let anyone I didn't know use my pen. I might discreetly clean it when they weren't looking! LOL
I agree with jar too though, it's a good idea to give them instruction.
Does your wife now use fountain pens?

Anne
January 15th, 2016, 05:33 PM
I've never had any problems letting folk use my pens but they do get a short course along with the experience.

I think that is a great idea. This way they don't have hurt feelings being taught how to handle them and they don't hurt your pen either!
I think I remember telling someone once, "...you just don't press down hard with a fountain pen" ( especially if it doesn't write right away! ).

Anne
January 15th, 2016, 05:38 PM
I gifted a pen on two occasions to my friend and on both he popped off the cap and got ink all over his hands. Don't know if that's on me, him, or the pen, but it never happened to me.

Oh yikes! :)

Kaputnik
January 15th, 2016, 07:58 PM
Not exactly, since I rarely lend one to someone who just needs something to write with. If I lend them something at all, a ballpoint will do, and even then I have a bit of an attitude about the sort of person who never carries a pen, assuming they can always borrow one when they need it. But that's another subject.

I have learned not to lay any kind of pens down where people can just grab them. One acquaintance grabbed my FP 78G off a table and tried to yank the cap off, but I stopped him and told him about twist off caps. I let him use it to sign the form that he had, and he didn't do any obvious damage. I have lent fountain pens, and even given inexpensive but good spares to friends who want to learn to write with them. But except for a universal tendency to press too hard at first, there haven't been any disasters. They must have actually listened to what I told them.

But one thing that made me smile was not what someone did, but what he said. A "new guy" at work saw me using one of my fountain pens and said: "A fountain pen? Isn't that a bit much?" When asked what he meant, it emerged that he thought that fountain pens were only for lawyers, high level executives, and the upper classes in general. He also kindly informed me that ballpoints were much smoother writers, and that I should try them.

I didn't offer to lend him one in an effort to change his mind. He didn't last at our company, but the reasons had nothing to do with pens.:)

rpsyed
January 15th, 2016, 08:27 PM

Same. I find just telling them to keep the shiny side up and use light pressure to be enough.

SeminarianMike
January 15th, 2016, 08:50 PM
My friend begged me and begged me to try my montblanc 144 traveler... I finally handed it over he wrote carefully went to hand it back and dropped it! I was all ekkkkk! Thank goodness it wasn't damaged... Still scary! Here's another horror story from early today. I am home for MLK day weekend, I filled up
My traveling ink pot from Visconti to refill my moms pens "really pens she taken off of me" I'm filling up her pen and I realize the converter isn't truly filled 100%. I push the ink back out and start filling the pen not realizing the ink pot is full of pressure. The ink pot shoots off like an ink filled rocket! Noodlers turquoise everywhere [emoji31]

SeminarianMike
January 15th, 2016, 08:51 PM
Sorry for the bad text response! Very tired [emoji42]

Anne
January 16th, 2016, 12:21 AM
Not exactly, since I rarely lend one to someone who just needs something to write with. If I lend them something at all, a ballpoint will do, and even then I have a bit of an attitude about the sort of person who never carries a pen, assuming they can always borrow one when they need it. But that's another subject.

I have learned not to lay any kind of pens down where people can just grab them. One acquaintance grabbed my FP 78G off a table and tried to yank the cap off, but I stopped him and told him about twist off caps. I let him use it to sign the form that he had, and he didn't do any obvious damage. I have lent fountain pens, and even given inexpensive but good spares to friends who want to learn to write with them. But except for a universal tendency to press too hard at first, there haven't been any disasters. They must have actually listened to what I told them.

But one thing that made me smile was not what someone did, but what he said. A "new guy" at work saw me using one of my fountain pens and said: "A fountain pen? Isn't that a bit much?" When asked what he meant, it emerged that he thought that fountain pens were only for lawyers, high level executives, and the upper classes in general. He also kindly informed me that ballpoints were much smoother writers, and that I should try them.

I didn't offer to lend him one in an effort to change his mind. He didn't last at our company, but the reasons had nothing to do with pens.:)

Oh my...I probably would have rolled my eyes at him!
Hey, I am happy to hear you got friends into fountain pens though!:D

Anne
January 16th, 2016, 12:26 AM

Same. I find just telling them to keep the shiny side up and use light pressure to be enough.

"...shiny side up..." LOL :) Sage advice though from both of you. Thank You.

Anne
January 16th, 2016, 12:36 AM
My friend begged me and begged me to try my montblanc 144 traveler... I finally handed it over he wrote carefully went to hand it back and dropped it! I was all ekkkkk! Thank goodness it wasn't damaged... Still scary! Here's another horror story from early today. I am home for MLK day weekend, I filled up
My traveling ink pot from Visconti to refill my moms pens "really pens she taken off of me" I'm filling up her pen and I realize the converter isn't truly filled 100%. I push the ink back out and start filling the pen not realizing the ink pot is full of pressure. The ink pot shoots off like an ink filled rocket! Noodlers turquoise everywhere [emoji31]

Oh NO...your friend must have felt terrible. I am so glad the pen was not damaged though, that was so lucky!
About the Ink mishap: I do things like that too. So, did it clean up okay?
Can your Mom thank you for her use of fountain pens?

Anne
January 16th, 2016, 12:41 AM
Sorry for the bad text response! Very tired [emoji42]

No need for apologies at all - there was nothing wrong that I saw. Thank You for sharing your experiences - good or bad:) I hope you get some rest and enjoy the long weekend!

stub
January 16th, 2016, 05:15 AM
Once had someone actually spring a nib on me (staff at a pen counter! Yikes!). I've also had people violently pull off twist caps. +the usual shiny side down tomfoolery.

Sailor Kenshin
January 16th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Don't know how horrible this story is, and it only involves my own stupidity, but I was interviewing someone for a local paper and taking notes with a Pilot Varsity. During the interview, the pen's cap fell off and rolled under his desk.

I switched to gel pens for that sort of thing, and it was years before I could bring myself to let any of my fountain pens out of the house.

Anne
January 16th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Once had someone actually spring a nib on me (staff at a pen counter! Yikes!). I've also had people violently pull off twist caps. +the usual shiny side down tomfoolery.

Oh my gosh. You would think staff in a store would know better!

Anne
January 16th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Don't know how horrible this story is, and it only involves my own stupidity, but I was interviewing someone for a local paper and taking notes with a Pilot Varsity. During the interview, the pen's cap fell off and rolled under his desk.

I switched to gel pens for that sort of thing, and it was years before I could bring myself to let any of my fountain pens out of the house.

I know how you feel. So far, I have only taken a Lamy Vista out. Thinking that if it gets run over by a truck, it will still be in writing condition ( even if I am not :haha: ).
...I know this is beside the point, but did you get the pen cap back?

SeminarianMike
January 16th, 2016, 01:34 PM
I won't let my +100 pens out of my room at the seminary, but! I have no problem taking my twsbi diamond or montreverde to school with me. When other students want to try there hand with a fountain pen I first let them try there hands at a varsity or a platinum preppy... If they show me they can write without hurting a nib I let them try the montreverde as you could nail a house together with their nibs! My fear is other seminarians who use Fp but don't really respect them... If you know what I mean. Cause I'm damned if I let them and damned if I don't lol!

SeminarianMike
January 16th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I figure I need to do something to help others fall In love with this amazing hobby

Anne
January 16th, 2016, 04:06 PM
I won't let my +100 pens out of my room at the seminary, but! I have no problem taking my twsbi diamond or montreverde to school with me. When other students want to try there hand with a fountain pen I first let them try there hands at a varsity or a platinum preppy... If they show me they can write without hurting a nib I let them try the montreverde as you could nail a house together with their nibs! My fear is other seminarians who use Fp but don't really respect them... If you know what I mean. Cause I'm damned if I let them and damned if I don't lol!

LOL! Well, you do have to be careful. That's another good piece of advice, having them try a less expensive one first too.
(( ...I feel like everyone has a Pilot Varsity but me! Next order I make, it will have to be added to the basket :) ))

Anne
January 16th, 2016, 04:09 PM
I figure I need to do something to help others fall In love with this amazing hobby

Yes absolutely! Long Live Fountain Pens and Their Admirers!! :D

SeminarianMike
January 16th, 2016, 06:52 PM

LOL! Well, you do have to be careful. That's another good piece of advice, having them try a less expensive one first too.
(( ...I feel like everyone has a Pilot Varsity but me! Next order I make, it will have to be added to the basket :) ))

Don't waste your money in a varsity get a platinum preppy... Problem with varsity sis they just appear to be a fountain pen, I don't think they write like one. It writes like a dry sharpie fine liner... I will not be replacing mine! Platinum preppy is a much better try me Fp

Anne
January 16th, 2016, 07:03 PM

Don't waste your money in a varsity get a platinum preppy... Problem with varsity sis they just appear to be a fountain pen, I don't think they write like one. It writes like a dry sharpie fine liner... I will not be replacing mine! Platinum preppy is a much better try me Fp

Okay, I will look into the Preppy too. I was just drawn by the fact that the Varsity can be refilled too ( if you are careful pulling out the nib and feed ).
BUT the Preppy is clear-ish and I like that.

stub
January 16th, 2016, 07:45 PM

I was mystified. I totally trusted a pen counter person would know what they were doing but nope. I am much less trusting nowadays.

Sailor Kenshin
January 16th, 2016, 08:44 PM

I know how you feel. So far, I have only taken a Lamy Vista out. Thinking that if it gets run over by a truck, it will still be in writing condition ( even if I am not :haha: ).
...I know this is beside the point, but did you get the pen cap back?

I did. But it was not pretty. ;)

Inxoy
January 16th, 2016, 09:36 PM

Almost every person I let try out a pen starts with it upside down. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they default that way. I always have a chuckle inside about it.

Anne
January 16th, 2016, 10:02 PM

I was mystified. I totally trusted a pen counter person would know what they were doing but nope. I am much less trusting nowadays.

I am too now LOL! Thank You for the warning.

Anne
January 16th, 2016, 10:21 PM

Almost every person I let try out a pen starts with it upside down. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they default that way. I always have a chuckle inside about it.

Me too - wouldn't they at least Want to look at the shiny side as they wrote? :)
Then I think that some people Do write that way on purpose ( "reverse writing" ) but I have never understood that either. I always thought it was bad for the nib.

SeminarianMike
January 17th, 2016, 05:21 AM

Me too - wouldn't they at least Want to look at the shiny side as they wrote? :)
Then I think that some people Do write that way on purpose ( "reverse writing" ) but I have never understood that either. I always thought it was bad for the nib.

I don't get writing as I get ready to starting doing FP videos on YouTube I will be making a stand on "reverse" writing it's just silly [emoji5]IMO

jar
January 17th, 2016, 07:01 AM

I don't get writing as I get ready to starting doing FP videos on YouTube I will be making a stand on "reverse" writing it's just silly [emoji5]IMO

Using the nib reversed is not always silly and in fact many pens were designed for just that use. Two examples were the early Sheaffer Stylist and the Parker 180. Each was available IIRC in F/M and M/B configurations.

Usually using the reverse side of the nib will produce a thinner line and if done only occasionally and without any pressure will not hurt anything.

I still only do it though in pens that were designed for it.

SeminarianMike
January 17th, 2016, 08:02 AM

Using the nib reversed is not always silly and in fact many pens were designed for just that use. Two examples were the early Sheaffer Stylist and the Parker 180. Each was available IIRC in F/M and M/B configurations.

Usually using the reverse side of the nib will produce a thinner line and if done only occasionally and without any pressure will not hurt anything.

I didn't know there were specific pens designed what I find silly is people just testing a pen let's see what the reverse writing is like... Then oh it's scratchy and un pleasant... I find that funny! I will not be doing that [emoji51] lol thanks for the info I also herd Mike Masayuma does a dual purpose grind like that

Anne
January 17th, 2016, 03:20 PM

I didn't know there were specific pens designed what I find silly is people just testing a pen let's see what the reverse writing is like... Then oh it's scratchy and un pleasant... I find that funny! I will not be doing that [emoji51] lol thanks for the info I also herd Mike Masayuma does a dual purpose grind like that

Me neither - I don't think I could write more than a word or two. It's nice to know, though, that they make/made pens that would accommodate that style. To each his/her own :D

jar: Do they put iridium on both sides of the nib on the pens designed for this writing or does it not even need it?

Sailor Kenshin
January 17th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Honestly, I write/sketch with the reverse side of the nib whenever I want a hairline. As long as the pen will respond that way, no damage is done.

Anne
January 17th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Honestly, I write/sketch with the reverse side of the nib whenever I want a hairline. As long as the pen will respond that way, no damage is done.

That makes sense. I draw too, but...
with b-b-ballpoints...:D

jar
January 17th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Me neither - I don't think I could write more than a word or two. It's nice to know, though, that they make/made pens that would accommodate that style. To each his/her own :D

jar: Do they put iridium on both sides of the nib on the pens designed for this writing or does it not even need it?

Most pens have tipping on both sides. That's seldom an issue. Look closely at the tops of the nib tips in the following pictures.

http://www.fototime.com/F6428E3C10E7989/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/21D02223DC80236/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/029C5F91394FC2E/xlarge.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/7990E526E106679/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/4EB73E34C07B0F5/standard.jpg

Notice that they all have smooth tipping even on the very top of the nib. There would be no problem writing with the shiny side down with a few conditions. The nib is NOT designed to be bent against the feed. Don't press down. The nib is not designed for constant use shiny side down. Don't try to over use it.

Remember, the tipping was one ball that was welded to the end of the blank before the slit was cut and so the same top and bottom. It is only the final finishing that changes the profile of top, bottom and sides.

Anne
January 18th, 2016, 01:35 AM

Most pens have tipping on both sides. That's seldom an issue. Look closely at the tops of the nib tips in the following pictures.

http://www.fototime.com/F6428E3C10E7989/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/21D02223DC80236/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/029C5F91394FC2E/xlarge.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/7990E526E106679/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/4EB73E34C07B0F5/standard.jpg

Notice that they all have smooth tipping even on the very top of the nib. There would be no problem writing with the shiny side down with a few conditions. The nib is NOT designed to be bent against the feed. Don't press down. The nib is not designed for constant use shiny side down. Don't try to over use it.

Remember, the tipping was one ball that was welded to the end of the blank before the slit was cut and so the same top and bottom. It is only the final finishing that changes the profile of top, bottom and sides.

I didn't realize that. Thank You very much :)

Paddler
January 18th, 2016, 09:48 AM
The new sac had just dried on the nipple of my newest Esterbrook J (a pretty green one). I had to scrape the old sac out of the barrel and replace the J-bar. In the process, I must have made some dust inside the barrel. Some heat was needed to insert the section into the barrel. A spark must have come out of the hair dryer and flown inside the barrel. The barrel caught fire and went up in smoke in about a second -- just enough time for me to drop it without getting burned. Luckily, I was performing this operation over the kitchen sink. I was left with a J-bar, a lever, and the metal stud from the end. Oh yes, and a cylindrical pile of grey ash.

Kaputnik
January 18th, 2016, 10:07 AM
The new sac had just dried on the nipple of my newest Esterbrook J (a pretty green one). I had to scrape the old sac out of the barrel and replace the J-bar. In the process, I must have made some dust inside the barrel. Some heat was needed to insert the section into the barrel. A spark must have come out of the hair dryer and flown inside the barrel. The barrel caught fire and went up in smoke in about a second -- just enough time for me to drop it without getting burned. Luckily, I was performing this operation over the kitchen sink. I was left with a J-bar, a lever, and the metal stud from the end. Oh yes, and a cylindrical pile of grey ash.

You win the thread. :cheers:

I have read about the flammability of celluloid, but it's interesting to get a first hand account. Something for me to keep in mind as I work my way through a number of restorals, most of them on celluloid pens.

Anne
January 18th, 2016, 12:48 PM

How Awful!!! I wouldn't have even imagined it happening!?! I am afraid of heat guns, but I have used hairdryers and thought it was Relatively safe ( never thought a fire could occur in any circumstance - but I know Nothing ). And most of my tinkering is done at the kitchen table - Yikes!

I currently do not own a pen with a lever and J-bar, but I will consider this a forewarning. I only have Parkers ( Vac.s, Duofold, 51's ), so I don't think I will have to heat them After I insert a new sac, but boy I will be more careful now with a hairdryer.

Thank You so much for sharing your experience, but I feel so bad about the pen. Will you look into purchasing another?

Paddler
January 18th, 2016, 01:47 PM

How Awful!!! I wouldn't have even imagined it happening!?! I am afraid of heat guns, but I have used hairdryers and thought it was Relatively safe ( never thought a fire could occur in any circumstance - but I know Nothing ). And most of my tinkering is done at the kitchen table - Yikes!

I currently do not own a pen with a lever and J-bar, but I will consider this a forewarning. I only have Parkers ( Vac.s, Duofold, 51's ), so I don't think I will have to heat them After I insert a new sac, but boy I will be more careful now with a hairdryer.

Thank You so much for sharing your experience, but I feel so bad about the pen. Will you look into purchasing another?

I only buy pens at flea markets and then only if the price is extremely low, like if I think their next destination will be the landfill. I already have a baker's dozen of Esterbrook Js and do not actively seek any more of them.

It is not the lever or filling innards that pose the fire hazard; it is the composition of the pen. Many old pens, like the Esterbrook J are made of nitrocellulose (AKA guncotton} or cellulose acetate which is only slightly less flammable. Always keep an old pen away from an open flame. If you have to heat one, do so where you can turn loose of it in a hurry.

Anne
January 18th, 2016, 02:06 PM

I only buy pens at flea markets and then only if the price is extremely low, like if I think their next destination will be the landfill. I already have a baker's dozen of Esterbrook Js and do not actively seek any more of them.

It is not the lever or filling innards that pose the fire hazard; it is the composition of the pen. Many old pens, like the Esterbrook J are made of nitrocellulose (AKA guncotton} or cellulose acetate which is only slightly less flammable. Always keep an old pen away from an open flame. If you have to heat one, do so where you can turn loose of it in a hurry.

Point well taken, I just feel bad that you had to go through it. I have bought almost all of my pens off Ebay and so, they all need to be restored. Some I want to try myself and some fixes I have enough sense to know I am just not going to be able to do.

Paddler
January 19th, 2016, 07:08 AM

Point well taken, I just feel bad that you had to go through it. I have bought almost all of my pens off Ebay and so, they all need to be restored. Some I want to try myself and some fixes I have enough sense to know I am just not going to be able to do.

That is a sensible way of looking at pen repair. However, when you buy your pens at a flea market and only pay $3 to $5 for one, you can find yourself willing to take a few chances. There are some that I wouldn't touch with a runcible spoon, though, like a Vac fill Sheaffer. I inherited one of those and sent it to a pro for repair.

Anne
January 19th, 2016, 12:24 PM
That is a sensible way of looking at pen repair. However, when you buy your pens at a flea market and only pay $3 to $5 for one, you can find yourself willing to take a few chances. There are some that I wouldn't touch with a runcible spoon, though, like a Vac fill Sheaffer. I inherited one of those and sent it to a pro for repair.

I can understand that ( but I'm sure you have more experience than I do! ), but the only pen I have had success so far opening are two Wingsung 233's :)
Now, I have Parkers in front of me and I am *trying* to be sensible and slow in restoration.
( I still haven't been able to open a Parker 51 Aerometric; and the hood off a vacumatic. I am hoping they didn't use epoxy, like I have read some people used out of ignorance )

I am not too proud to send a pen to a professional. I couldn't open a few old Pelikans and they scared me! Nothing scares Ron Zorn, I wouldn't hesitate to ask him or anyone else of his caliber for help. I really hope more people are taking up the torch though - I need help :)

penwash
January 19th, 2016, 12:54 PM

I tried... to draw with a b-point but I can't see where I'm drawing.
Maybe the way I'm holding it or my head position, but I see a line coming out "under" the ballpoint,
so I can't position the point precisely enough.

That's why I use F nib fountain pen and a mechanical pencil.

penwash
January 19th, 2016, 01:03 PM

I'm about to restore a Vac-fill Tucky.
Let's see which one is more "interesting" to restore, the Vac-Fill or a Snorkel.

I can restore a Snorkel, the most annoying part is having to open that "V" clamped hard rubber cube -- without deforming (too much) either the metal or the rubber -- just to get to the ink sac.

Anne
January 19th, 2016, 01:34 PM

Maybe the way I'm holding it or my head position, but I see a line coming out "under" the ballpoint,

I have only toyed with little doodles and small scenes with a Pen and Ink Sketch set I was given some time ago. I really have to get more serious in actually drawing with a fountain pen. I have to look through the nibs I have and find an EF or F nib though :) Thank You for the tip, no pun intended!
What kind of fountain pen do you use for drawing?
I may want to use permanent ink, have you used that for drawing at all?

penwash
January 19th, 2016, 02:30 PM

I have only toyed with little doodles and small scenes with a Pen and Ink Sketch set I was given some time ago. I really have to get more serious in actually drawing with a fountain pen. I have to look through the nibs I have and find an EF or F nib though :) Thank You for the tip, no pun intended!
What kind of fountain pen do you use for drawing?
I may want to use permanent ink, have you used that for drawing at all?

ATM I mainly use the TWSBI Mini (F) and Esterbrook J with 9668 nib for my sloppy sketches.
I like the Pilot Prera a lot for sketching, but currently it's a Cursive Medium pen, so I don't know if I can draw with it or not.

If you peruse this thread, some members post fountain pen sketches and the pens we use:
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/13418-Show-me-your-fountain-pen-sketches

Anne
January 19th, 2016, 04:33 PM
ATM I mainly use the TWSBI Mini (F) and Esterbrook J with 9668 nib for my sloppy sketches.
I like the Pilot Prera a lot for sketching, but currently it's a Cursive Medium pen, so I don't know if I can draw with it or not.

If you peruse this thread, some members post fountain pen sketches and the pens we use:
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/13418-Show-me-your-fountain-pen-sketches[/QUOTE]

I love the TWSBI Mini. I have a few, so I may have to check for a Fine nib now and try it out. Thank You - I will check the sketches and info in that thread :)

Paddler
January 20th, 2016, 06:39 AM

Let's see which one is more "interesting" to restore, the Vac-Fill or a Snorkel.

I can restore a Snorkel, the most annoying part is having to open that "V" clamped hard rubber cube -- without deforming (too much) either the metal or the rubber -- just to get to the ink sac.

A small jeweler's screwdriver is handy for unbending the metal around the cube. Then pry gently with a pointy X-acto knife. The part that gives me fits is the upper seal. Getting that slippery little devil to stay in its groove exercises my vocabulary.

penwash
January 20th, 2016, 07:01 AM

A small jeweler's screwdriver is handy for unbending the metal around the cube. Then pry gently with a pointy X-acto knife. The part that gives me fits is the upper seal. Getting that slippery little devil to stay in its groove exercises my vocabulary.

Aha! I found a weapon for that slippery upper seal. A little needle point tweezer that is bent upward (think "fude" nib).
Because of the bending upward, I can hold the new ring in place along with the pen with my left hand, then work on jamming the rest of it into the groove with a toothpick with my right hand.

Paddler
January 20th, 2016, 02:14 PM

Aha! I found a weapon for that slippery upper seal. A little needle point tweezer that is bent upward (think "fude" nib).
Because of the bending upward, I can hold the new ring in place along with the pen with my left hand, then work on jamming the rest of it into the groove with a toothpick with my right hand.

Good idea. I will try that next time.

Anne
January 20th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Paddler and Penwash: I just ordered my first Esterbrook pen. They claim it has been restored, so I truly hope it is. It comes with the 2550 nib, do you think that would be too fine to sketch with?

penwash
January 20th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Anne, I use 9556 and 9314-F when I sketch using the Esterbrook J.
I think most common Esterbrook nibs are usable for sketching as they are typically fine, rigid and smooth (if properly aligned).
The only ones to watch out for would be the 2314-M or B or the 9314-M or B because these are wide Oblique Stub nibs (I can use the -F version for sketching).

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/618/23802564356_1e3f4451af_z.jpg
Group shot of my Esties.
Missing in the photo is another Copper J and a blue LJ and pencil set (different shade than the blue in the picture).

DASEFnib
January 21st, 2016, 03:07 AM
I think most common Esterbrook nibs are usable for sketching as they are typically fine, rigid and smooth (if properly aligned).
The only ones to watch out for would be the 2314-M or B or the 9314-M or B because these are wide Oblique Stub nibs (I can use the -F version for sketching).

Group shot of my Esties.
Missing in the photo is another Copper J and a blue LJ and pencil set (different shade than the blue in the picture).
NICE collection!!!
Right now I'm up to 8...mostly J's, a couple of SJ's and LJ's...
Most have come to me fully restored.....only one needed a nib and a sac....

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Paddler
January 21st, 2016, 08:15 AM
Paddler and Penwash: I just ordered my first Esterbrook pen. They claim it has been restored, so I truly hope it is. It comes with the 2550 nib, do you think that would be too fine to sketch with?

I don't think anything is too fine to sketch with. Instruction books for sketching tend to recommend crow quill and the Hunt 104 dip pens. I doubt you will find many pens that draw a finer line than those. The 104 is flexible so you can lean on it a little to get a thicker line.

Sailor Kenshin
January 21st, 2016, 08:31 AM
Allow me to embarrass myself by asking whether lever-fillers with threaded nib units can be eyedropper-loaded, with the unit out.

jar
January 21st, 2016, 08:41 AM
Allow me to embarrass myself by asking whether lever-fillers with threaded nib units can be eyedropper-loaded, with the unit out.

No single right answer. It will really depend on the pen. But why?

Sailor Kenshin
January 21st, 2016, 08:56 AM

No single right answer. It will really depend on the pen. But why?

In order to use certain inks from sample vials that don't have enough left in them to immerse the nib. I've done it successfully with my TWSBIs, just wondered about other pens with threaded nib units.

pajaro
January 21st, 2016, 10:15 AM
Why did the goofball bring a ladder to church? He/she wanted to see a High Mass.

Anne
January 21st, 2016, 10:38 AM
Why did the goofball bring a ladder to church? He/she wanted to see a High Mass.

Cute :)

Anne
January 21st, 2016, 11:12 AM

Group shot of my Esties.

Thank You so much for the info.
Wow, you have a beautiful collection of them! Hey, I did get a marbley, darker copper/brown colored one LOL. I read about how there was a "Brown I" and a "Brown II". I don't know what color it would really be considered. I really love how there are nice variations of these colors. You almost Have to Collect them! I liked the Blue and Green too.
I will try and focus on the nibs now though. I Was looking at the 2314/9314M and B because I am a left footer:) Good to know that they would be a little funky to sketch with.
Maybe I will try a light handed sketch with the 2550. It is going to be fun trying the others out when I get them.

Anne
January 21st, 2016, 11:56 AM

Group shot of my Esties.
NICE collection!!!

Wow :D What colors did you pick? Did you restore that one in need yourself?
I am an Estie noob. I believe the one I just bought is an SJ. I was trying to narrow it down to either SJ or LJ, but truth be told, I would have bought it regardless of size/length.

Anne
January 21st, 2016, 12:11 PM

I don't think anything is too fine to sketch with. Instruction books for sketching tend to recommend crow quill and the Hunt 104 dip pens. I doubt you will find many pens that draw a finer line than those. The 104 is flexible so you can lean on it a little to get a thicker line.

Very nice - Thanks :) I just looked it up and it looks comfortable to hold too ( I am not familiar with them ). I would definitely need to practice drawing with a flexible nib :D
Do you sketch too?

Paddler
January 22nd, 2016, 07:16 AM

Very nice - Thanks :) I just looked it up and it looks comfortable to hold too ( I am not familiar with them ). I would definitely need to practice drawing with a flexible nib :D
Do you sketch too?

I bought a couple of instruction books and a Bristol board sketchbook and started to go through the lessons and then ran out of time. Right now, sketching has to rank third after writing the family stories and playing music. Illustrating the stories would be good, but I am not sure I have the talent.

Scrawler
January 22nd, 2016, 07:21 AM
I had my pen in the breast pocket of my tuxedo only to sign the guest book, and intended to return it to my briefcase immediately. As I was walking away he stopped me and asked "do you have a pen I can borrow?". I slowly and sadly shook my head saying "No, so sorry". "What the F... is this" he demanded, as his right hand was tugging at my pen. My left hand reflexively grabbed his wrist while I stated "I do have a pen, but you may not borrow it". "If you wish to touch this item of mine, then you must first give me a $1400 deposit". He called me a few choice names, all of which indicated that he was at a venue inappropriate to his cultural values, and stomped off.

RuiFromUK
January 22nd, 2016, 07:49 AM
London geeks know my horror story.

I bought a Pelikan M800 for Xmas 2014 and when I showed it in the office my colleague decided to get a feel of how much it weighted.

Result: the pen fell on the desk and then floor nib first. We (London geeks) tried to straighten it to no result. I contacted the Pelikan agents in UK to whom I sent my pen and they forwarded it to Pelikan in Germany.

6 weeks later the pen with a brand new nib arrived to my desk at no charge whatsoever.

Very big kudos to Pelikan! One more reason for Pelikan to be my favourite brand of modern fountain pens.

jar
January 22nd, 2016, 08:23 AM
There may be a few who have not yet heard this story. For those of you who have, I apologize.

It was Baltimore in the spring, a wondrous time in a wondrous city. It was the late fifties or early sixties, and I was young and in good health and had been down to the harbor and was headed back to my apartment on North Charles. For some unknown reason I was way over on Calvert Street and so decided to cut across at Fayette and then up the hill past Mt. Vernon Place to home. The wind was out of the south bringing the smells from McCormick and Company (I remember they were doing cinnamon that day, funny how such things stick in our memories) and I was thinking about having diner at the bar in the Park Plaza or an evening of discussion and argument at the Peabody Book Shop and Beer Stube. Fayette Street was fairly level and a nice break in the climb and was also relatively sheltered from the wind that was beginning to chill as evening came on.

As I passed the Pen Hospital one pen in particular caught my eye. It was big and black with a white dot on the cap and gold lever that shined against the body and a clear section where you could see how much ink was left. For a moment I simply stopped and stared, then decided that was just what I had always been looking for.

I went in and Mr. Jenkins came in to see if a customer had really come in. I asked if I could look at the pen in the window and he graciously got it for me. The moment I held it in my hand I knew that it had been made for me. Had I been Harry and Mr. Jenkins been Mr. Ollivander he would have known that the pen chose me; perhaps he did.

He explained that the pen wasn't really for sale, that it had been brought in many years before for repair but I think he could tell from the way I looked at the pen and fondled it, that perhaps we were meant to be together. Finally he said he would pull the record, we would make one last attempt to contact the owner and if unsuccessful I could buy it for the cost of the repairs.

He went to the back and I could hear him going down some stairs, and a few minutes later returned with an old yellowed repair envelope. It seemed the owner had dropped the pen off over ten years earlier and although he had been contacted several times from the notes on the envelope, never come in to pick it up. The repairs were $4.50 and it had been a sack replaced and a nib adjustment.

But ...

it was MY name on the envelope.

It seems my grandfather had dropped it off for repair and simply (not at all surprising) never returned to pick it up. I immediately asked if I could make the call and when I got Gpop on the phone his response was. "Oh yes. By all means pick it up. I always meant for you to have it someday anyway."

He and Mr. Jenkins talked for awhile and Gpop insisted he'd come by and pay the repair bill but I insisted on paying for it then. He filled it for me, threw in a bottle of Blue-Black Skrip and I left a very happy person.

I used that pen daily for many, many years and never found anything I liked better. Then during a move from our apartment in California to the new house we had just bought someone broke into the apartment and stole a gold watch (also my grandfathers), an even older striking pocket watch that had belonged to my great grandfather and the pen. They did not take the stereo or the tv, only those three things and a small collection of silver dollars.

Since then I've had quite a few Sheaffer Oversized Balances but honestly, none have felt like that first one. I keep looking and trying to find one though and know that someday when I least expect it, The Pen will once again find me.

Anne
January 22nd, 2016, 11:35 AM
I bought a couple of instruction books and a Bristol board sketchbook and started to go through the lessons and then ran out of time. Right now, sketching has to rank third after writing the family stories and playing music. Illustrating the stories would be good, but I am not sure I have the talent.

I have jumped into that thread and enjoyed a few ( haven't read them all ) stories from you and jar. You should compile these into a book of short stories - they were like the beginning of a good book.

Anne
January 22nd, 2016, 11:40 AM
I had my pen in the breast pocket of my tuxedo only to sign the guest book, and intended to return it to my briefcase immediately. As I was walking away he stopped me and asked "do you have a pen I can borrow?". I slowly and sadly shook my head saying "No, so sorry". "What the F... is this" he demanded, as his right hand was tugging at my pen. My left hand reflexively grabbed his wrist while I stated "I do have a pen, but you may not borrow it". "If you wish to touch this item of mine, then you must first give me a $1400 deposit". He called me a few choice names, all of which indicated that he was at a venue inappropriate to his cultural values, and stomped off.

LOL! And "tugging" at your pen?!! How rude!

Anne
January 22nd, 2016, 11:53 AM
London geeks know my horror story.

I bought a Pelikan M800 for Xmas 2014 and when I showed it in the office my colleague decided to get a feel of how much it weighted.

Result: the pen fell on the desk and then floor nib first. We (London geeks) tried to straighten it to no result. I contacted the Pelikan agents in UK to whom I sent my pen and they forwarded it to Pelikan in Germany.

6 weeks later the pen with a brand new nib arrived to my desk at no charge whatsoever.

Very big kudos to Pelikan! One more reason for Pelikan to be my favourite brand of modern fountain pens.

Oh my gosh, I don't know what I would have done. I probably would have died inside, but Tried to think of how they must have felt in that moment.
I am so glad that the pen was taken care of so well by Pelikan. I have only two older ones, so if anything ever happened to them, Pelikan would probably tell me to just throw them out:haha:
I guess in the U.S. we use Chartpak and I have also read of very positive reviews of their service too. Even though it is a major brand, it is nice to know they take such good care of their customers.

Anne
January 22nd, 2016, 12:15 PM
There may be a few who have not yet heard this story. For those of you who have, I apologize.

It was Baltimore in the spring, a wondrous time in a wondrous city. It was the late fifties or early sixties, and I was young and in good health and had been down to the harbor and was headed back to my apartment on North Charles. For some unknown reason I was way over on Calvert Street and so decided to cut across at Fayette and then up the hill past Mt. Vernon Place to home. The wind was out of the south bringing the smells from McCormick and Company (I remember they were doing cinnamon that day, funny how such things stick in our memories) and I was thinking about having diner at the bar in the Park Plaza or an evening of discussion and argument at the Peabody Book Shop and Beer Stube. Fayette Street was fairly level and a nice break in the climb and was also relatively sheltered from the wind that was beginning to chill as evening came on.

As I passed the Pen Hospital one pen in particular caught my eye. It was big and black with a white dot on the cap and gold lever that shined against the body and a clear section where you could see how much ink was left. For a moment I simply stopped and stared, then decided that was just what I had always been looking for.

I went in and Mr. Jenkins came in to see if a customer had really come in. I asked if I could look at the pen in the window and he graciously got it for me. The moment I held it in my hand I knew that it had been made for me. Had I been Harry and Mr. Jenkins been Mr. Ollivander he would have known that the pen chose me; perhaps he did.

He explained that the pen wasn't really for sale, that it had been brought in many years before for repair but I think he could tell from the way I looked at the pen and fondled it, that perhaps we were meant to be together. Finally he said he would pull the record, we would make one last attempt to contact the owner and if unsuccessful I could buy it for the cost of the repairs.

He went to the back and I could hear him going down some stairs, and a few minutes later returned with an old yellowed repair envelope. It seemed the owner had dropped the pen off over ten years earlier and although he had been contacted several times from the notes on the envelope, never come in to pick it up. The repairs were $4.50 and it had been a sack replaced and a nib adjustment.

But ...

it was MY name on the envelope.

It seems my grandfather had dropped it off for repair and simply (not at all surprising) never returned to pick it up. I immediately asked if I could make the call and when I got Gpop on the phone his response was. "Oh yes. By all means pick it up. I always meant for you to have it someday anyway."

He and Mr. Jenkins talked for awhile and Gpop insisted he'd come by and pay the repair bill but I insisted on paying for it then. He filled it for me, threw in a bottle of Blue-Black Skrip and I left a very happy person.

I used that pen daily for many, many years and never found anything I liked better. Then during a move from our apartment in California to the new house we had just bought someone broke into the apartment and stole a gold watch (also my grandfathers), an even older striking pocket watch that had belonged to my great grandfather and the pen. They did not take the stereo or the tv, only those three things and a small collection of silver dollars.

Since then I've had quite a few Sheaffer Oversized Balances but honestly, none have felt like that first one. I keep looking and trying to find one though and know that someday when I least expect it, The Pen will once again find me.

I hope it does jar. I appreciate you sharing your story.

Paddler
January 22nd, 2016, 01:26 PM

I have jumped into that thread and enjoyed a few ( haven't read them all ) stories from you and jar. You should compile these into a book of short stories - they were like the beginning of a good book.

Compile them? They are already compiled in journal books written in longhand in either India or bulletproof inks. Hundreds of stories sorted by subject. I only post one here when I feel like digitizing one. There are three 200 - page journals just containing stories about the weird gigs I have played with various bands in the area. There are stacks of wilderness canoe and kayak trip accounts. Stories of beekeeping, building radios, wars with woodchucks, cat antics, fishing trips. A book? Nah. I have no heat to write a book.

Paddler
January 22nd, 2016, 01:37 PM

Compile them? They are already compiled in journal books written in longhand in either India or bulletproof inks. Hundreds of stories sorted by subject. I only post one here when I feel like digitizing one. There are three 200 - page journals just containing stories about the weird gigs I have played with various bands in the area. There are stacks of wilderness canoe and kayak trip accounts. Stories of beekeeping, building radios, wars with woodchucks, cat antics, fishing trips. A book? Nah. I have no heat to write a book.

Anne
January 22nd, 2016, 02:04 PM

I am impressed! I will just have to keep poppin in to the Stories thread and enjoy them there. :)
Hey, Off Topic ( as is always my way :redface: ) but have you posted any beekeeping stories here? I will look for them, but if not and if you are willing: I am putting in a request.

Paddler
January 22nd, 2016, 04:27 PM

I am impressed! I will just have to keep poppin in to the Stories thread and enjoy them there. :)
Hey, Off Topic ( as is always my way :redface: ) but have you posted any beekeeping stories here? I will look for them, but if not and if you are willing: I am putting in a request.

Request noted. In the 60s and 70s I had 250 colonies of honeybees scattered throughout 3 counties. My brother had another 400 colonies. We had honey by the ton; sold it in 55 gallon drums (I spilled one, once. Holy cow, what a mess!); raised our own queens. I have 80 pounds of beeswax from those days; dip candles with it. I will dig up one of the journals and post a story or two for you.

Anne
January 22nd, 2016, 05:35 PM

Request noted. In the 60s and 70s I had 250 colonies of honeybees scattered throughout 3 counties. My brother had another 400 colonies. We had honey by the ton; sold it in 55 gallon drums (I spilled one, once. Holy cow, what a mess!); raised our own queens. I have 80 pounds of beeswax from those days; dip candles with it. I will dig up one of the journals and post a story or two for you.

:D:D:D Thank You Very Much :D:D:D
That is really something - I admire people in that business, although I know some are getting into it as a "hobby". I have had my little house coming up on 12 years now, and I have become so militant about not spraying and pulling my weeds. Thanks to articles I have read about "pure honey" being sold in stores that are nothing but and not even where they claim it is from -
I have sought out beekeepers here in my state. There is an extraordinary man downtown that is considered the "dean of beekeepers" in Arizona. Very kind man, patient and generous with his knowledge. I am glad others seek him out to learn from, I think it's really more important than others realize.

DASEFnib
January 23rd, 2016, 02:31 AM

Group shot of my Esties.
NICE collection!!!

Wow :D What colors did you pick? Did you restore that one in need yourself?
I am an Estie noob. I believe the one I just bought is an SJ. I was trying to narrow it down to either SJ or LJ, but truth be told, I would have bought it regardless of size/length.
Gray (3), Green (2), Red (2), Blue (1) and Black (1)....Re-sac'd one of the Grays -- took about 20 minutes (I had the parts and tools close by.....)....
Yep! Added a Gray just since my last post!!:) So the grand total is now NINE!
Nib sizes/types are all over the place, form M to EF....but they ALL write GREAT!!

penwash
January 23rd, 2016, 07:43 AM
Gray (3), Green (2), Red (2), Blue (1) and Black (1)....Re-sac'd one of the Grays -- took about 20 minutes (I had the parts and tools close by.....)....
Nib sizes/types are all over the place, form M to EF....but they ALL write GREAT!!

Picture of the family, please. I love Estie family photos.
Do you have the Stub Relief nibs (2314 or 9314) ? I'm trying to get the M and B version of those.

Scrawler
January 23rd, 2016, 08:34 AM

I was shocked to the point of mortification at his presumptuousness. He actually had my pen firmly grasped and it was about my shoulder height by the time I reacted.

Anne
January 23rd, 2016, 12:38 PM

Do you have the Stub Relief nibs (2314 or 9314) ? I'm trying to get the M and B version of those.

Yes, I want to see them too! Hey, penwash, I don't know if you buy from Anderson Pens ( I never have, but on their notification list for the elusive 9128 UK version ) but they have the 9314M in stock and the 2314M and B.

Anne
January 23rd, 2016, 12:53 PM

I was shocked to the point of mortification at his presumptuousness. He actually had my pen firmly grasped and it was about my shoulder height by the time I reacted.

I know! It might be just a bit aggressive ;) but that guy was lucky that it was only his wrist you grabbed and not his throat! And to be mad even when he walked away, he has no clue how ignorant and rude - or doesn't care. I think people like that eventually meet their match and I am glad that you handled it so civilly.
Not to mention, I'm glad your pen wasn't damaged or even dropped!

penwash
January 23rd, 2016, 06:12 PM
Yes, I want to see them too! Hey, penwash, I don't know if you buy from Anderson Pens ( I never have, but on their notification list for the elusive 9128 UK version ) but they have the 9314M in stock and the 2314M and B.

Yes, Brian have them in stock, but that would be too easy :)
Besides, I do have an Italic nib that I can use with my Esties, Osmiroid Italic Broad:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1626/23830665642_825aab7db5_z.jpg

and their music nibs (B2, B3, and B4) <-- These are so much fun to write with.

Plus I am also dabbling in putting non-Estie nibs into Estie collar and feed.
So far I managed to fit two that work well (and many failures).

Sailor Kenshin
January 23rd, 2016, 06:30 PM
Wait...the Osmiroid thread-in unit or just the nib being exchangeable with an Estie?

Anne
January 23rd, 2016, 08:19 PM

Yes, Brian have them in stock, but that would be too easy :)
Besides, I do have an Italic nib that I can use with my Esties, Osmiroid Italic Broad:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1626/23830665642_825aab7db5_z.jpg

and their music nibs (B2, B3, and B4) <-- These are so much fun to write with.

Plus I am also dabbling in putting non-Estie nibs into Estie collar and feed.
So far I managed to fit two that work well (and many failures).

"...too easy" - Funny! That is an awesome nib from the look of what it can do ( nice writing :) ). There are many nibs I need to explore and seek out too.
I have been researching them - Hey, in some older threads in another forum, member pajaro has said that the Pelikan M200 may fit the Esterbrook as well ( Thank You pajaro :) ). I would like to try that too.
Yeah, we can have A LOT of fun with these pens:D I cannot wait.

DASEFnib
January 24th, 2016, 02:34 AM

Will try to get pix up after I have finished inventory (I find it easier to keep ALL my pens in a case - IN ORDER of purchase)....
Then I'll pick out the Esties and do a "family portrait"..!!:)
No Stub Relief nibs here.....just 1xxx, 2xxx and 9xxx Firm Series.....

Cob
January 24th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Ha! umpteen leverless Swans with their insides thoroughly rotted away!

Cob

Anne
January 24th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Ha! umpteen leverless Swans with their insides thoroughly rotted away!

Cob

Cob, can you restore them yourself, or send them away for it?

Cob
January 24th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Yes I repair them myself.

As you probably know, there are essentially two types of Leverless (not counting exotica such as Visofils) - first the twist type with a blade inside, patented in 1932 but which didn't appear I understand, until the following year. Much later came the pressure bar type which still had a twist knob but a deviously clever mechanism (for which I do not have the tools) acted on a pressure bar as found in button fillers.

The early type suffers in my experience from corrosion of the blade that presses on the sac - I restored one last year in which the blade had disappeared entirely. On the later ones the pressure bar often rots away though fortunately the twist mechanism appears to be very reliable - luckily! This a pain as one cannot buy pressure bars of the correct length (they must be exactly right). This means dismantling a longer one and cutting it down to size. I have had to do this a few times!

All the best

C.

Anne
January 24th, 2016, 10:03 PM

As you probably know, there are essentially two types of Leverless (not counting exotica such as Visofils) - first the twist type with a blade inside, patented in 1932 but which didn't appear I understand, until the following year. Much later came the pressure bar type which still had a twist knob but a deviously clever mechanism (for which I do not have the tools) acted on a pressure bar as found in button fillers.

The early type suffers in my experience from corrosion of the blade that presses on the sac - I restored one last year in which the blade had disappeared entirely. On the later ones the pressure bar often rots away though fortunately the twist mechanism appears to be very reliable - luckily! This a pain as one cannot buy pressure bars of the correct length (they must be exactly right). This means dismantling a longer one and cutting it down to size. I have had to do this a few times!

All the best

C.

I didn't know any of this :redface: I didn't know that the pressure bars could even be cut to length. It sounds like quite a job. I have just seen a video explaining how the twist filler works and it sounds very interesting. It's pretty amazing how many different and intricate filling systems they used in those days.

penwash
January 25th, 2016, 05:44 AM

All the best

C.

Is it not possible to convert these into eye-droppers?
Could you please post the picture of one of these leverless Swans?

pajaro
January 25th, 2016, 10:08 AM
IMHO the greatest horror story about fountain pens is the number of snobs who only carry them as pocket jewelry, like a pompous personage of my unfortunate acquaintance who carried in his pocket a never-inked Montblanc 149.

Anne
January 25th, 2016, 02:23 PM
IMHO the greatest horror story about fountain pens is the number of snobs who only carry them as pocket jewelry, like a pompous personage of my unfortunate acquaintance who carried in his pocket a never-inked Montblanc 149.

Yes, I agree. If you are going to risk bringing it out of the house - Use it, I would say.
Personally, I would simply be too afraid to myself. I do admire people who do though, because they probably get more out of their pens.

Cob
January 25th, 2016, 06:50 PM

All the best

C.

Is it not possible to convert these into eye-droppers?
Could you please post the picture of one of these leverless Swans?

Oh I wouldn't want to do that - anyway it would be a non starter - one could never realistically seall the barrel end.

I'll sort out a pen or two and make a snap tomorrow.

C.

Cob
January 25th, 2016, 06:56 PM

All the best

C.

I didn't know any of this :redface: I didn't know that the pressure bars could even be cut to length. It sounds like quite a job. I have just seen a video explaining how the twist filler works and it sounds very interesting. It's pretty amazing how many different and intricate filling systems they used in those days.

Oh it's not that bad - just a bit fiddly and requires a degree of patience.

As for other filling mechanisms as you say there are quite a few. Perhaps the Ford pen was most remarkable but for elegance of principle and operation I think that the Onoto takes the prize - the thinking behind it (Mr George Sweetser in 1905) is so original. Another one I admire is the Waterman's Ink-Vue, another fiddly one to fix.

However the truth is that a decent lever system (Waterman's or early and some late Swans) has a lot to be said for it - easy to fix too, apart from the rather fragile Waterman's lever boxes.

C.

Anne
January 25th, 2016, 07:28 PM

All the best

C.

Oh it's not that bad - just a bit fiddly and requires a degree of patience.

As for other filling mechanisms as you say there are quite a few. Perhaps the Ford pen was most remarkable but for elegance of principle and operation I think that the Onoto takes the prize - the thinking behind it (Mr George Sweetser in 1905) is so original. Another one I admire is the Waterman's Ink-Vue, another fiddly one to fix.

However the truth is that a decent lever system (Waterman's or early and some late Swans) has a lot to be said for it - easy to fix too, apart from the rather fragile Waterman's lever boxes.

C.

I have read about the Hundred Year pens being pretty delicate to work with as well. I have a pen now that I was told took a filling system similar to prewar Parker Vacs. But when I unscrewed the retaining collar of the filler ( there is no 'filler' to speak of ), I found an odd piece ( looks like brass ). It looks as though it held a pellet on one recessed side and a threaded screw on the other. Then a few puzzling plastic pieces, including a squared one with a rounded hollow inside.

The only familiar piece of it is the metal threaded retaining collar.

Nothing that looks like any vacumatic I have or have seen. Then again, I am far from being an expert.
That's what intrigued me when I heard about the twist filler. I might have the remnants of one.

alc3261
January 27th, 2016, 03:02 PM

I've never had anybody try to use the pen upside down, Never.

Anne
January 27th, 2016, 03:23 PM

I've never had anybody try to use the pen upside down, Never.

Neither have I, but I have told them that some people do write that way regularly. I think a relative tried it when I told him, but it wasn't for him either :) I don't own any of the ones that were made specifically for reverse writing though, so maybe the experience was too scratchy for them.

Pickwick
January 28th, 2016, 09:58 AM
I am embarrassed to say that I didn't realize you are supposed to use less pressure when writing with a fountain pen. After reading this thread, I tried that last night and it was definitely a far more pleasant experience!

#n0ob

jar
January 28th, 2016, 10:06 AM
I am embarrassed to say that I didn't realize you are supposed to use less pressure when writing with a fountain pen. After reading this thread, I tried that last night and it was definitely a far more pleasant experience!

#n0ob

Great. In fact you should hold your fountain pen like it was a baby hummingbird, so loosely that all you do is keep the nib from rotating on the paper. The only pressure you should use is the weight of the pen itself.

Anne
January 28th, 2016, 01:10 PM

#n0ob

No embarrassment Here Pickwick :)
I just received the most extra fine nib I have ever used ( I am not used to them - I love italics ). Even though I Think I use proper pressure when I write, I am finding with this needlepoint, that I am apprehensive in putting Any pressure on it. I will have to just get over it and Write More with it. Figuratively speaking, maybe my pen and I will break each other in.
The only bad thing: My true, ugly handwriting comes through with the use of the extra fine :haha:

Pickwick
January 28th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Thank you Anne and Jar, I appreciate it :)

zygote
February 2nd, 2016, 08:53 PM
A year or two ago I came in to work and set my things down, started digging about in my bag and realized I had left something in my car and went outside to fetch it, leaving my newly acquired and freshly filled Parker 21 sitting on the desk. While I was outside one of the other employees rushed into the office looking for a pen, picked it up, said something about it being a fountain pen and put it back down, posted. The boss, concerned that the pen would leak all over the brand new office furnishings, said let me see that so the employee tossed it to him. Across the office. It flew into the monitor above his head, cracking the screen and showering everything with a fine spray of Noodlers Bulletproof Black. Including the boss. Fortunately my boss is a decent and reasonable person, once he calmed down, and I can still use fountain pens at work, I just can't leave them laying around or he will pick it up and use it to point out the ink splotted maps on the wall LOL.

(edited because I'm tired)

Anne
February 2nd, 2016, 10:19 PM
A year or two ago I came in to work and set my things down, started digging about in my bag and realized I had left something in my car and went outside to fetch it, leaving my newly acquired and freshly filled Parker 21 sitting on the desk. While I was outside one of the other employees rushed into the office looking for a pen, picked it up, said something about it being a fountain pen and put it back down, posted. The boss, concerned that the pen would leak all over the brand new office furnishings, said let me see that so the employee tossed it to him. Across the office. It flew into the monitor above his head, cracking the screen and showering everything with a fine spray of Noodlers Bulletproof Black. Including the boss. Fortunately my boss is a decent and reasonable person, once he calmed down, and I can still use fountain pens at work, I just can't leave them laying around or he will pick it up and use it to point out the ink splotted maps on the wall LOL.

I think your boss getting inked was a bit of poetic justice LOL! I can *sort of* see the innocence in someone seeing a lone pen and needing to use it, but Throwing it across the room?
I guess he acquired himself a newly Bulletproofed suit, huh? ;)
Was the nib/pen okay after?

Sandy Fry
February 3rd, 2016, 05:31 AM
I usually have a few pens at work with me and the first time someone wanted to see one of them they immediately tried to yank the ( screw type ) cap off! Luckily, no damage done to my Amelia Earhart L.E. Now when anyone asks, I either explain to them that the cap screws off or I hand them the pen with the cap already removed.

David

zygote
February 3rd, 2016, 06:21 AM
(edited because I'm tired)[/QUOTE]

I think your boss getting inked was a bit of poetic justice LOL! I can *sort of* see the innocence in someone seeing a lone pen and needing to use it, but Throwing it across the room?
Was the nib/pen okay after?[/QUOTE]
No, no it was not. The nib was jammed up under the hood and it was just pouring ink. Basically the only part that wasn't scratched or damaged was the filling system so I told the repairer to keep it. I work in a male dominated service industry in a more or less industrial environment and the guys toss things around on a fairly regular basis so normally I don't usually leave my pens laying around. To his defense he had no clue that a fountain pen would bite the hand that threw it. He did insist on buying me lunch and starbucks after I turned down his offer to replace it. Since it was one of the "good daily user" condition pens that I had all of ten dollars invested in I didn't make a big deal out of it and a while later he brought me a button fill third tier pen he found somewhere with pretty plastic and no sac that I have yet to do anything with.

Anne
February 3rd, 2016, 01:00 PM
I usually have a few pens at work with me and the first time someone wanted to see one of them they immediately tried to yank the ( screw type ) cap off! Luckily, no damage done to my Amelia Earhart L.E. Now when anyone asks, I either explain to them that the cap screws off or I hand them the pen with the cap already removed.

David

Yikes! Great advice David - I think I will too!

jar
February 3rd, 2016, 01:26 PM

David

But why would you even expect an Amelia Earhart pen to return? That's why I could never understand anyone buying Amelia Earhart luggage. Sure you can see it loaded on the plane but that's the last anyone will ever see of it.:crazy_pilot:

Anne
February 3rd, 2016, 02:11 PM

Was the nib/pen okay after?[/QUOTE]
No, no it was not. The nib was jammed up under the hood and it was just pouring ink. Basically the only part that wasn't scratched or damaged was the filling system so I told the repairer to keep it. I work in a male dominated service industry in a more or less industrial environment and the guys toss things around on a fairly regular basis so normally I don't usually leave my pens laying around. To his defense he had no clue that a fountain pen would bite the hand that threw it. He did insist on buying me lunch and starbucks after I turned down his offer to replace it. Since it was one of the "good daily user" condition pens that I had all of ten dollars invested in I didn't make a big deal out of it and a while later he brought me a button fill third tier pen he found somewhere with pretty plastic and no sac that I have yet to do anything with.[/QUOTE]

Uggh - poor pen! But I am glad that your boss redeemed himself - I guess he's a decent man after all :) I think it was very nice of him to buy you the button fill and I hope you can get it up and running without too much financial hassle. Maybe it will become another daily writer for work? Or, if you find that you don't like it, give it back to him restored and get that guy into fountain pens!:D

FredRydr
February 9th, 2016, 04:54 PM
I have a few that I've shared before. But it's been a while.

I was in Pen Haven in Kensington Maryland, chatting to the late Bert Heiserman and Warren Granek, both behind the counter. I spotted a boxed MB Agatha Christie that hadn't been there before, so I asked Warren if I could have a look even though I wasn't in the market. He took it from the box and I handled the pen over the glass counter. It slipped from my careless fingers, nib down, for about a 12-inch drop onto the glass. The tip of the nib bent right 'round, like the beak on Gonzo of the Muppets. What could I say at that moment? Warren went quiet while Bert was busy with his customer. I finally said, "I guess I bought a pen." So, Bert feeling as bad as I did, offered it at his cost, then told me what he was going to ask for it. I paid him an additional fair profit and took it home.

I sent it to Greg Minuskin with instructions to customize the tip but keep it looking factory stock. Wow, he did it. It's now one of my favorite writers with that custom cursive italic nib (Greg doesn't like to call it that), plus it's a '20s retro pen with modern reliability.

So, it's a horror story with a happy ending.

Fred

Anne
February 9th, 2016, 07:31 PM

I was in Pen Haven in Kensington Maryland, chatting to the late Bert Heiserman and Warren Granek, both behind the counter. I spotted a boxed MB Agatha Christie that hadn't been there before, so I asked Warren if I could have a look even though I wasn't in the market. He took it from the box and I handled the pen over the glass counter. It slipped from my careless fingers, nib down, for about a 12-inch drop onto the glass. The tip of the nib bent right 'round, like the beak on Gonzo of the Muppets. What could I say at that moment? Warren went quiet while Bert was busy with his customer. I finally said, "I guess I bought a pen." So, Bert feeling as bad as I did, offered it at his cost, then told me what he was going to ask for it. I paid him an additional fair profit and took it home.

I sent it to Greg Minuskin with instructions to customize the tip but keep it looking factory stock. Wow, he did it. It's now one of my favorite writers with that custom cursive italic nib (Greg doesn't like to call it that), plus it's a '20s retro pen with modern reliability.

Fred

Ouch on all accounts ( nib, even the fair price they may have given you ). As for the ending, :D Wow is right! Maybe, in an odd/crazy way, it was meant to be that you wound up with that pen:)
You gave the pen a worthy royal treatment, Mr. Minuskin does do excellent work - I'm glad you chose him.
So, would you say the pen holds some sentimental value now?;)

penwash
February 10th, 2016, 05:40 AM

Fred

Fred, that is a good story. If I ever be inclined to purchase an MB, the Agatha Christie (fave author) might be the one I'd get.

But speaking of an obviously expensive (or rare, or delicate) pen rolling off our hands, I don't think it's carelessness, I think it's more like excitement, and sometimes maybe our hands just twitch at the wrong moment causing the "precious" pen to decide to have a face time with the floor/glass counter/concrete nearby.