PDA

View Full Version : Private Reserve Grey Flannel

efj3
November 19th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I have the full review and some more pictures up on my site, check it out here... (http://edjelley.com/2012/11/05/greyflannelreview/)

http://edjelley.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/8093020463_a050820ba7_b.jpg?w=640&h=452

Used in Review:
Private Reserve Grey Flannel
Lamy Safari, Bold nib
Rhodia Elastibook, ruled

This ink is a great shader. I like that it’s more of a pure grey than Diamine Graphite, which I find to be a bit green for my taste.

It was well behaved, but I think there may be a bit too much shading for note taking. The sample I tried was more than enough to get a feel for the ink.

Bogon07
November 20th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Flannel Grey appears to have some nice tones and not just being a watered down black.

I agree that the shading is a bit distracting in your writing sample. It looks like the results of a fibretip pen rather than a fountain pen.
Maybe a finer nib would work better with this ink and or possibly a different paper too.

Interesting review, thanks for posting. Grey inks seem a bit under appreciated. I used to think if you want grey then use a pencil but now some ink suppliers are producing some attractively coloured greys.

fountainpenkid
November 20th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Are there any "pencil inks" I wonder...has any manufacturer made a grey ink that is erasable? Would this clog the pen though...(hey, J. Herbin manages to put lots of gold flecks in their 1670 ink...maybe someone should make it!)

Bogon07
November 20th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Are there any "pencil inks" I wonder...has any manufacturer made a grey ink that is erasable? Would this clog the pen though...(hey, J. Herbin manages to put lots of gold flecks in their 1670 ink...maybe someone should make it!)

I recall seeing a few reviews of the Sharpie liquid pencil being erasable for 1-3days before becoming permanent.
Pental & Pilot both have friction/heat erasing ink ballpens ink pale blacks and greys.

Noodler's do a lot of innovative ink but they usually trend in the opposite direction towards being permanent and tamperproof.

fountainpenkid
November 21st, 2012, 04:33 AM
Yeah...the Sharpie liquid pencil needed some refinement. It would be really cool if Nathan did make a pencil ink though...I would buy a bottle every month!

snedwos
November 24th, 2012, 04:05 PM
He did do the waterase inks, so you never know...