PDA

View Full Version : Have correspondence cards gone out of favor?

PizzaDude
January 17th, 2016, 07:01 PM
When I was in my senior year of college and learning about looking for a job, it was stressed that men should send handwritten thank you notes to anyone they interviewed with on a correspondence card. The cards should be conservative, but some personalization was okay, for instance, mine have my name in dark forest green on off white paper stock. I haven't sent one out in a long time since I've been at my current job for almost 12 years but I dug them out of the closet anyway. I was discussing pens and stationery with a coworker who always seems to be on top of business etiquette and he had never seen them before (and he's older than me). Do people still send these? Are they considered a bit pretentious? Does anyone here use them? Just wondering?

AzJon
January 17th, 2016, 07:59 PM
I use them. It is still considered correct etiquette (and great for networking) to send at least one thank you card (if not 3!) a week. Not sure what you were taught, but I was told to send them all over the place. I mean, obviously, be genuine with your thanks, but you can send it to the places you get lunch on the regular, or to someone that did you a solid. I don't know anyone that doesn't appreciate a handwritten thank you note.

I wouldn't worry about an older co-worker having never seen them before. It really is a product of late 90's business etiquette, I think. In the age of ever increasing electronic communication, a handwritten anything adds a personal touch that people will remember. Try sending it to someone that gave you a helping had recently and see if/how their disposition towards you changes.

Dreck
January 17th, 2016, 09:29 PM
I still use them, and all three of our kids have had their own.

Bogon07
January 18th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Do they have a Mythos theme to them ?

jar
January 18th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Mine date back long before the 90s I fear. I first had them made IIRC in 1967, shortly after getting married. I last bought a batch about two years ago.

http://www.fototime.com/F7F4DD8FEEB19E0/large.jpg

Robert
January 18th, 2016, 04:37 PM
I use them, too, although rather infrequently. Got a batch on Crane's card stock when I moved 11+ years ago. The color of the card is grey, with my name at the top in Forest Green. The envelopes, of course, are grey and have my return address (but not my name) on the flap of the envelope.

VertOlive
January 18th, 2016, 05:38 PM
The last three people I interviewed for our job opening showed up in jeans and called me "dude". No thank you cards arrived.

:rolleyes:

tandaina
January 18th, 2016, 05:55 PM
I just use very plain "Thank You" cards, not custom printed ones with my name.

Dreck
January 18th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Do they have a Mythos theme to them ?

No, but I did find some very cool stationery at the discount store a couple years back. It was $1 for 15 sheets of paper with a very Cthulhu-esque wave/tentacle pattern printed on one side and 10 envelopes (that didn't seal). Sadly, I've not seen it for sale there or anywhere else since.

stub
January 18th, 2016, 11:43 PM
I'd like to get some made up, but the prices have gone up quite a ways since I last had them done. I am not even sure where I would go and who knows if what you would get would be FP friendly anymore.

Curtisvan
February 6th, 2016, 06:02 PM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016VJWJT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_V2NTwb7KBCSQK

These are fold over cards very fountain pen friendly. You can personalize with an ink jet printer.

Silverbreeze
February 20th, 2016, 05:17 PM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016VJWJT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_V2NTwb7KBCSQK

These are fold over cards very fountain pen friendly. You can personalize with an ink jet printer.

I second those cards