PDA

View Full Version : How to upload photos so that they're not oversized?

penultress
January 17th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Strangely, I was able to upload a photo properly but it was some time ago. The photos I take on my camera phone are way too big. I see in the FAQ, there should be BB codes I can copy and paste but I don't see them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Jon Szanto
January 17th, 2016, 10:14 PM
I don't think the version or implementation of forum software and bbcode on FPG allows for user changing of image size on-the-fly. You're best off resizing the image in an image editor, keeping the aspect ratio the same. Should be fairly straight-forward, PM me if you need further assistance.

Chrissy
January 18th, 2016, 01:08 AM
On FPG I usually use the Manage Attachments box for my photos. It's available whenever you post a thread or a post (choose go advanced.) I just upload an image from my PC, and click to add it to my post.
I know that you can use BB codes from other forums though.

If it's of any help, when I'm doing ink reviews from an A4 sized sheet of paper, I crop off the edges and then reduce the image size to between 8cm and 9cm width @ 300 pixels/inch, before saving as a Jpeg. That seems to fit on the FPG page well, without any scrolling and is big enough to read easily.

Photos though could be even smaller. :)

penultress
January 18th, 2016, 05:17 AM
Thank you both. I'll continue working on this.

tandaina
January 18th, 2016, 10:28 AM
The simplest solution is to *resize the photos* before you upload them. This is pretty simple on Mac, the Preview App is capable of doing it for you. Can't help you on Windows but I bet it's also possible. Long edge set to 1,200 pixels seems to work well for most situations.

Or use a service like SmugMug where you upload the full version and it creates various sized down sampled images, just embed/link to the size you want.

OR ignore all this and assume the person viewing your images is running a halfway decent browser that resizes images to fit their window size (Chrome does this flawlessly for me, I haven't seen an oversized image in years. If I want to see it full size I click on it and Chrome opens it full size in a new tab, easy.)

Laurie
January 18th, 2016, 02:15 PM
I find Irfanview very easy to use for this. Here is a link: http://www.irfanview.com/
You then just select file and you then select your picture. Then you select "Image" and then "resize" .Then set to 800 x 600 pixels and then save the photo to wherever you keep them. I always name the photo as "Mont Blanc Resized" or something like that so that when I upload I dont upload the original larger size picture.

penultress
January 24th, 2016, 05:41 PM
In the end, I've posted with a link to flicker. This seems to be the easiest!

carlos.q
January 24th, 2016, 06:19 PM
In the end, I've posted with a link to flicker. This seems to be the easiest!

Could be the easiest but it is really not the best for the forum or its users. As time goes by there can be changes in flickr, accounts can be closed, links may be broken and in the end, maybe in just a few months, the pictures could disappear from your post. This happens very frequently over at FPN where some very valuable pictorial contributions by members have been lost because of this situation.

Resizing images is not difficult and that extra step, just before you upload, will save future users of FPGeeks from encounters with broken links and missing pictures.

PS. You haven't said if you are using Mac or Windows...

penultress
February 1st, 2016, 08:10 AM
Oh interesting about flickr. It's also the first time I'm using flickr. I use Windows

carlos.q
February 1st, 2016, 09:01 AM
Oh interesting about flickr.

Unfortunately it's not only a problem with flickr but with any other outside image hosting services.

As a Mac user I can't really help you much but I believe there are a lot of free image edit software for Windows that can be used to downsize your photos. After the image is downsized, uploading to FPGeeks is a cinch!

oldstoat
February 18th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Windows Picture Manager has a basic editor that allows you to resize by specific measurements or as a percentage of the original. Works well.

NancyR
July 26th, 2016, 04:10 AM
Hi dude, you can use file size reducer (http://www.watermark-software.com/reduce-jpg-size.html) to batch compress the photos before uploading them online. And you can even set their sizes, either in pixels or digits.

pengeezer
August 10th, 2016, 04:08 PM
I use picresize.com to resize pics that I upload here. Doesn't cost me a thing.

John